• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Portsmouth FC

What is your starting 11 for Saturday?

• Nathan Bishop

Votes: 76 93.8%
  • Teddy Smith

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 64 79.0%
  • John White

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 74 91.4%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Harry Lennon

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 71 87.7%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 59 72.8%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 69 85.2%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 72 88.9%
  • Stephen Humphrys

Votes: 73 90.1%
  • Charlie Kelman

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Amadou Ba

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Rob Kiernan

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure about McLaughlin, but the other 3 are still under contract. So unless another club comes in for them ( very unlikely ), then we are stuck with them here?.

Not necessarily, it just needs negotiations and creativity. We can’t stop them seeing out their contracts, so it isn’t straightforward but it’s been done many times. Theo is another example and the reason (IMO) for this loan. Put yourself in the shop window Theo :Thumbs up:

Not necessarily, it just needs negotiations and creativity. We can’t stop them seeing out their contracts, so it isn’t straightforward but it’s been done many times. Theo is another example and the reason (IMO) for this loan. Put yourself in the shop window Theo :Thumbs up:

Hope your right.

Two observations:

This season cannot end soon enough, so we can ditch the likes of Kightly, McLaughlin, Dieng and Mantom who should be a good league one midfield but have been woeful all year. They really have. Bugger all of note from any of them, particularly the wingers. They are simply not worth their wages to a club of our resources. We need people who are able to perform, like other clubs our level paying the wages we do (and in leagues below us) manage to attract.

CP signed 2 of those (and they were fine earlier this season) and there is a good player in McLaughlin, but CP doesn't seem to be bringing it out.

Also, what makes you think any replacement we get for these is going to be better???

I'll be quietly pleased if we lose by 3 goals or less...
It's actually fewer rather than 'less'. But yeah, right behind the sentiment. I prayed Pompey would do a number on QPR, but like the rest of the season, that entreaty saw the Almighty remove his ear piece.
I would dearly love to be proved wrong, but I think this game will see me churn enough stomach acid to burn a hole in the hull of a boat.

Since they beat us on 8th December they have won 3 drawn 3 and lost 5 and have slipped down the table. They have been struggling to score. I can see us picking up another unexpected point.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell feels the pressure could be more on Portsmouth when they visit Roots Hall this weekend.

More...

CP signed 2 of those (and they were fine earlier this season) and there is a good player in McLaughlin, but CP doesn't seem to be bringing it out.

Also, what makes you think any replacement we get for these is going to be better???

McLaughlin probably played his best football for Powell (last season).

I wonder if it's more fatherhood that isn't bringing the best out of him?

In fact maybe the reason we're better away from home (I'm guessing we went up on the day for a night game v Donny) is because the players spend the night in a hotel away from screaming kids?

Bishop

Moore Turner Lennon Hart

Kightly Dieng Mantom Macca

Cox Humphrys

White at RB if fit. Moore in for Lennon as he isnt ready yet.

Macca HAS to play on the left. He can beat his man and get crosses in (as can Kightly). No more cutting in rubbish, we are too predictable otherwise.

Elvis needs a rest. He is also too lightweight right now and has been found out.

Turner can be the main man again, he needs the arm around the shoulder and needs to be told to get back to basics - no nonesense stuff.

Dieng and Mantom need to play as a pair lile they were at the start of the season. Quick 1/2s then spreading out wide. Manton to pkay slightly deeper to be the play stopper/maker.

Will the above happen...not a chanc.

"This season cannot end soon enough, so we can ditch the likes of Kightly, McLaughlin, Dieng and Mantom who should be a good league one midfield but have been woeful all year. "

That really should be a decent midfield 4!

I am a bit concerned we insisted on playing our only two senior strikers for the full 90 on Tues even when the game was clearly gone..

He clearly has near zero faith in Kelman or Wabo or surely he would not be running the two seniors into the ground for a lost cause in a midweek game? Surely? Is it me?

BTW if my memory is right White had to be replaced at HT- maybe (can’t remember) Kightly came on for McL when we were still in the game- but sure one of the strikers could have been given a rest?

I am a bit concerned we insisted on playing our only two senior strikers for the full 90 on Tues even when the game was clearly gone..

He clearly has near zero faith in Kelman or Wabo or surely he would not be running the two seniors into the ground for a lost cause in a midweek game? Surely? Is it me?

From what I read about the game no one was doing any running about so I guess they were just waiting on the half way line waiting for someone to kick the ball in their general direction . Maybe they should try a bit of goal hanging.

Any news on the ticket sales no clues from the Pompey sites ,believe they have been offered 2000,wonder if they will sell out as it's on telly

I take it there is no news on Bunn or Hyam? A 75% fit Bunn would get in before McLaughlin based on this season's performances.

Whatever the team, formation, tactics, we have to all agree on one thing - we do not want to get dragged any further down the table - let's support the boys and Chris on Saturday and try to encourage them, not boo any mistake, wayward pass or shot. Keep positive - we can all post on here afterwards if unhappy but let's not take that into Roots Hall, UTB.

Back