• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
The Southern Daily Echo has its usual double-page spread to preview the Saints' game at Roots Hall tomorrow.

Click here to see George Burley's views on the game.

There is also an interview with Darryl:

FLAHAVAN PLOTTING A DIRECT ESCAPE ROUTE

Saints fan Darryl Flahavan is hoping a more direct style of play could give Southend a much needed victory.

Flahavan, who was at Saints for nine years as a youngster before being released in 1998, is desperate for a victory against his boyhood favourites to try and lift the Shrimpers off the bottom of the table.

Southend started the season with a bang and even beat Manchester United in the Carling Cup last month, but their winless streak in the league now stretches back 17 matches to August 19.

In all, they have only banked six points out of their last 51!

Flahavan said: "You look at how Col******r play and they make it very difficult for the teams they are playing against.

"They get it forward quickly and that gets the ball into the other team's half. When you're there mistakes don't get punished but we're more of a passing side.

"We've been caught out a couple of times though giving the ball away 30 or 40 yards from our own goal and our style isn't working at the moment.

"Maybe we need to try something else because you can't see where our next win is coming from right now.

"No one is enjoying the way the things are.

"The players certainly aren't and I'm sure the supporters aren't either. We're in a bit of a rut and it's going to be a tall order to get out of the position we're in but we have to keep going."

"The good thing is there are still plenty of games to go and we need to try and stay positive. We have to try and stay as confident as we can, not worry about making mistakes and try to secure back-toback wins to close that gap of ten points."

He added: "It's a match I've been looking forward to for a long time. Southampton were my team when I was a boy, I used to watch them every Saturday at the Dell and I was with them between the ages of 12 and 21. Because of that I carried on seeing their games all the time and I loved every second of being with them."

"I haven't a bad word to say about the club but of course that goes out of the window this weekend because we really need to beat them."

Southend boss Steve Tilson, this week given a vote of confidence by his chairman, continued: "In all honesty I don't think we could be playing a harder game in our league at the moment than the one we have tomorrow.

"Southampton are flying and have been doing particularly well since Rasiak came back into the side. I've seen them play a couple of times and I was very impressed by them. Bradley Wright-Phillips can't even get in the line-up right now and that says everything about the strength they have in their squad. I certainly expect them to be up there at the end of the season."

They also have the following to say about tomorrow's referee:

COLIN WEBSTER

So far this season Mr Webster has taken charge of 12 league games, issuing 37 yellow and 4 red cards. This will be his first time in charge of a match involving either the Shrimpers or the Saints. But the bad news for both teams is that he has issued more red cards than all but one other referee and his ratio of 3.42 cards per game is above average. But there is a good chance that he may not add to his tally for the season in this one as both Southend and Southampton are in the top half of the Championship's fair play league.

I think Darryl has a point about the direct play.

We have been renowned for our "football" but we are obviously not being able to hold onto the ball and pass it around at this level.

Dont want to see long ball being played but we do seem to be a bit more threatening when its played a bit more direct.

Back