• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FarmdogSUFC

The Custard Splat - Southend United Fan Podcast
What are peoples opinions on Spicer?

Early days I know but jurys still out IMO. I do rate him, just feel that he would suit a 3 man midfield rather than 2. In pre season, I really liked the look of him. Thought he liked to get the ball moving, ran with the ball, looked for the wide man, made forward runs and scored the goal against Millwall. It's come to the league and it just hasn't happened so far . Bottles challenges and reminds me of Ferdy in the sense that the game just seems to pass him by.

Thoughts and opinions please?

He was dire against Exeter, but that's the only time I've seen him play. Will keep an eye on him against Rotherham next week... hopefully he'll improve.

Decent enough to have in reserve, however I think we need better in terms of someone in the middle of the park for our first XI week in and week out.

He was signed at the last minute to 'make up numbers' yet with Ferdy, Hally and Mohsni all missing from our options (Grant and Kalala also gone) we are very short in midfield.

Personally think we need two more central midfielders, one creative player who scores goals and one enforcer, someone nasty with a bit of bite

Not made up my mind yet - sometimes I need to watch a player rather than watch the game (if that makes any sense at all!) to get a better opinion.

He's a better player than Grant in my opinion.

He has this way about him that makes him look lazy because he's so relaxed on the ball.

I think he can grab a few goals he gets in a few good positions every game.

Can't really hope for much better.

Would love a powerhouse in midfield and would like a midfield of Hurst Timlin Powerhouse Spicer

Hurst pushing on then Timlin powerhouse and Spicer become a narrow three.

However this isn't Football Manager.

LOL! :smile:

He's a better player than Grant in my opinion.

He has this way about him that makes him look lazy because he's so relaxed on the ball.

I think he can grab a few goals he gets in a few good positions every game.

Can't really hope for much better.

Would love a powerhouse in midfield and would like a midfield of Hurst Timlin Powerhouse Spicer

Hurst pushing on then Timlin powerhouse and Spicer become a narrow three.

However this isn't Football Manager.

LOL! :smile:

I Agree we are missing someone in the midfield who is a ball winner, someone who will get stuck in

I still think we are lacking a central midfielder who is comfortable on the ball and who can retain possession and pass it without giving it away.

Its early days with Spicer, the first time I saw him I thought he was going to be a fantastic signing but have been disappointed since, against Exeter he was anonymous.

Well there are a lot of players looking for clubs, an unemployed player would choose us over no club...

Spicer caught the eye in the pre season matches sprayed the ball about well and looked an all round quality player .But since he was given a contract he seemes to have lost his way . I beleve the problem we have is we are so short of bodys the team picks its self and we havent got anyone to make him fight for his place .

Been inconsistent so far. Looks good on the ball but poor off it. Has a good first touch and pass.

Don't think he suits league 2 or our style of play. Hopefully he can adapt after time as he definitely has some good qualities.

Seen 3 home games this season and not impressed so far.
Haven't seen him make a tackle yet and think that I sweated more than him during the Exeter game when they nearly ran out of chicken and mushroom pies at half time.
I'm guessing he's worn the same kit every game , without the need for any wash yet.
You may have guessed this , but I'm not a fan.........

Been inconsistent so far. Looks good on the ball but poor off it. Has a good first touch and pass.

Don't think he suits league 2 or our style of play. Hopefully he can adapt after time as he definitely has some good qualities.

Big point that.

Sounds ridiculous but more suited to Championship pace.

Problem is no competition, he knows he will play week in week out. Need some more goals from midfield, only Kane has scored and he dont play for us anymore! Neither Timlin or Spicer look like theyre going to score any time soon.

He is part of a big problem, the midfield players being used are not likely to score many goals. Spicer, Hurst, Martin and Timlin havn't scored a goal between them this season and if you look at their career records they are not the sort of players who find the net. This is a big worry and puts massive pressure on the strikers and you cant always expect the likes of Cresswell and Phillips to score every time they enter the opposition penalty area. I hope Sturrock can see the problem.

Can't say that I agree.

Probably mean he doesn't have the option of getting someone else when a certain player doesn't work out.
He made his decision on Spicer and he is probably stuck with him now. Martin and Benyon also spring to mind although I do hope Martin comes good. Stracker doesn't seem to be signing of the season either does he?
However, with that said, I am not a football manager with a vast knowledge of the game like PS so as much as I enjoy expressing opinions on here I don't really know what I'm talking about!

Back