• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Taylor poised for England Under-21s post

Peter Taylor is poised to become the new England under-21 manager despite admitting he would like to stay on as Hull City boss for one more season.

Taylor has revealed he is keen to share his managerial duties between Lancaster Gate and the KC Stadium for one season, before stepping down as Tigers manager for "family reasons".

Although the Football Association were apparently willing to discuss an option of a dual role for Taylor, it is understood that Hull chairman Adam Pearson will not accept the idea, and a compensation package of around £100,000 from the FA is expected to pave the way for Taylor to succeed David Platt as under-21s boss.

Taylor, who joined the Tigers in 2002 and guided them to promotion from Division Three last season, told PA Sport: "To be honest the chairman already knew that when my current contract expires at Hull I would be unlikely to extend it for family reasons.

"It's a difficult one because I'm absolutely loving what I'm doing at Hull, but I haven't got a decision to make until the FA and the chairman agree on compensation."

Taylor revealed that "in an ideal world" he would like to share the two jobs. He added: "I've had one discussion with them (the FA) and they were interested in it."

However Taylor knows that Pearson is against the plan, and admitted: "I think that one's out the window. I would love to stay here for one more season because I still feel the players we have would be better off if I stayed at Hull.

"It would be great to have one more crack at it and try to get them into the First Division. It would be a shame if all of a sudden it was to finish early.

"The chairman is doing what he thinks is the best for Hull City, and I still have a tremendous working relationship with him."

However it looks increasingly likely that Taylor will take the under-21 post, which he had for three years until 1999, when he was replaced by Howard Wilkinson.

Peter Taylor walking out on a club straight after taking them up - I'll believe it when I see...............
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 02 2004,14:58)]Peter Taylor walking out on a club straight after taking them up - I'll believe when I see...............
That's a joke I assume. If he goes it will be the third time that Taylor was walked out after winning promotion. He left Gillingham to become the manager of Leicester and then walked out as manager of Brighton due to "creative differences."

Walk, Peter, and tear up the contract you've offered Cort while you do it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 02 2004,15:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 02 2004,14:58)]Peter Taylor walking out on a club straight after taking them up - I'll believe when I see...............
That's a joke I assume. If he goes it will be the third time that Taylor was walked out after winning promotion. He left Gillingham to become the manager of Leicester and then walked out as manager of Brighton due to "creative differences."

Walk, Peter, and tear up the contract you've offered Cort while you do it.
Yes, tongue planted firmly in cheek whilst typing that post.

Good luck to Spud, I feel that the Under 21 job was the best for him and he did it very well but this is becoming a bit of a habit.

Would be nice to see him back at the club someday. In some capacity at least.

I was half asleep so don't take it as gospel but the Hull Chairman was on Talk Sport this morning talking about Taylor's interest in the England U21 job ( with a possible view to ultimately succeeding Sven). Obviously he desperately wants to keep Taylor but has said that he would like to know one way or the other by tomorrow. He also said that Taylor has three or four players in mind to strengthen the Hull squad & (I got the impression) this would change should he leave them.

Back