• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

So if there are 1300 properties all told.

Sufc let them to the council at £300 each. The council then let them at £600 each.

Both the club and the council would make £390k per month or just over 4 million per year. Win win for both parties.

I think it is important to read the statement on the Council website. The council will have no input into the stadium but it is clear that Roots Hall remains until the new stadium is built. It does seem the 14000 is phase one. All in all encouraging as this is what the council and its leader are saying as well as Ron. Blimey I might be alive to see it.
Could you post the link to the Council Website please.

It does make you wonder as some have said.. who pays for the training ground now?
How will we get any other income at all, unless we use the ground for community work and concerts perhaps.
I don't like the idea IF it is three sided at all ( look at Oxford).. what happens if Hilton back out now as they have no footfall apart from residents?
Are there many hotels built on a hosing estate?
RM gets multi-housing which is what he really wanted all along, but where does that leave us?
Oh and RM and his son own Citizen housing.

Plenty of food for thought in all of this.

14000 is not a vast improvement on 11000, but I guess we won't be near the Championship any time soon....if ever.

No but the burgers will have onions. The Tv's might actually work. The roof won't leak and the beer might actually not end up giving you but rot.

14000 is better than 11k in a modern stadium. We might actually be able to get some new support in.

I'd still rather have a 16k type bowl with some quirky features but roots hall is crumbling. It's a dinosaur.

No but the burgers will have onions. The Tv's might actually work. The roof won't leak and the beer might actually not end up giving you but rot.

14000 is better than 11k in a modern stadium. We might actually be able to get some new support in.

I'd still rather have a 16k type bowl with some quirky features but roots hall is crumbling. It's a dinosaur.

Yeah from what I remember that was the key part. Ron was saying in previous statements that we're paying quite a lot of money just maintaining Roots Hall at this point.

I'm pretty sure the Echo article is misleading, the press release clearly states the following:

"the first phase of the new stadium comprises 14,000 seats."

If you look at the website for the stadium architects http://stadiumdb.com/designs/eng/southend_united_stadium it states:

The stadium will be built in two phases. First the simple and cheap part: single-tiered C-shaped stands in the west, south and east, holding 13,893 people. Only then the north side would be built, changing the stadium's layout to make it one of the most original among new venues.

My guess is the new planning application simply replaces the shops, restaurants and cinema with social housing - the stadium part will remain substantially the same. It is the housing deal that paves the way for us to build the 3-sided stadium (capacity 13,893), to get us off Roots Hall (so more housing can be built) and clear Ron's debts and hopefully the club's debts to him.

Ron will still be negotiating a separate deal (last done with Hilton) to build the North Stand with another 7,000 seats, hotel and some private apartments.

It is the North Stand deal that may give us some ongoing income from hospitality etc.

I reckon we'll still have away fans singing "your ground's too big for you" every week!

SUFC won't own the houses.
I think they will John, see below from the Council Website

• the Council will be granted long leases over the 502 homes at Roots Hall and the c.800 new homes constructed at Fossetts Farm.
  • the rent payable by the Council will be set at a substantially discounted level to open market rents therefore enabling the Council to benefit from a long-term sustainable income stream from the completed units.
  • the Council will facilitate the management of the leased homes and will sublet the individual units to residential tenants, 30% at affordable rents and the balance at market rents.
  • the Council will have the option to purchase the freehold of the leased homes for £1 at the end of the leases, enabling the Council to continue to meet the needs of the community.

So reading the above it works at TTH alluded to earlier

I think they will John, see below from the Council Website

• the Council will be granted long leases over the 502 homes at Roots Hall and the c.800 new homes constructed at Fossetts Farm.
  • the rent payable by the Council will be set at a substantially discounted level to open market rents therefore enabling the Council to benefit from a long-term sustainable income stream from the completed units.
  • the Council will facilitate the management of the leased homes and will sublet the individual units to residential tenants, 30% at affordable rents and the balance at market rents.
  • the Council will have the option to purchase the freehold of the leased homes for £1 at the end of the leases, enabling the Council to continue to meet the needs of the community.

No, Citizen housing will own them.

An agreement has been reached between the Council, Citizen Housing LLP and Southend United FC, enabling the redevelopment of Roots Hall for 502 new homes for rent, and the delivery of a new stadium.

The stadium at Fossetts Farm would be enabled by around 800 homes for rent through the agreement with the Council, and potentially hundreds more homes through a separate joint venture between Citizen Housing LLP and a third party.

I needed some good news and this looks as if it fits the bill. No doubt there will be loads to bitch about (this is ShrimperZone after all) but for me, at 68, I might get to see a new SUFC Stadium in my lifetime. That gives me a warm feeling and it's not because I've wet myself. Mayor of Happy Town at the moment.

So the building of the stadium is funded by a loan. Which means that we are close to getting spades in the ground once the plans are given the thumbs up?

Is this happening?

I needed some good news and this looks as if it fits the bill. No doubt there will be loads to bitch about (this is ShrimperZone after all) but for me, at 68, I might get to see a new SUFC Stadium in my lifetime. That gives me a warm feeling and it's not because I've wet myself. Mayor of Happy Town at the moment.
As we are of a similar age I too look forward to the new ground,hopefully there will be enough space to park my wheelchair!!!

Reactions: RHB
Back