• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

I sounds as though the plans being redrawn will get the green light. I'm sure that Ronald would have been sounded out about this is due course and has already started/completely had plans redrawn.

If these can be submitted quite quickly it will get passed.

My concern is the 14k capacity and the potential 3 sided stadium. I'd much rather a stadium like Rotherhams at a 14k capacity than some 3 sided affair.

Mods. Does this deserve it's own thread on the main board?

It's a big update

More about it on the Council website than in the Echo https://www.southend.gov.uk/news/ar...nt_reached_to_see_new_stadium_and_homes_built

Headline news:

In outline the arrangements with Citizen are as follows:

• Southend United Football Club seek planning permission for both developments.
  • if planning permission is granted, Citizen Housing LLP will facilitate the funding and construction of both sites. The Council will not be required to invest any capital in the development of either site but its covenant strength enables the financing of the transactions.
  • the Council will be granted long leases over the 502 homes at Roots Hall and the c.800 new homes constructed at Fossetts Farm.
  • the rent payable by the Council will be set at a substantially discounted level to open market rents therefore enabling the Council to benefit from a long-term sustainable income stream from the completed units.
  • the Council will facilitate the management of the leased homes and will sublet the individual units to residential tenants, 30% at affordable rents and the balance at market rents.
  • the Council will have the option to purchase the freehold of the leased homes for £1 at the end of the leases, enabling the Council to continue to meet the needs of the community.
  • the Council will not be involved in the stadium construction but a legal framework will ensure that the new stadium is delivered at Fossetts Farm before Roots Hall can close.

I sounds as though the plans being redrawn will get the green light. I'm sure that Ronald would have been sounded out about this is due course and has already started/completely had plans redrawn.

If these can be submitted quite quickly it will get passed.

My concern is the 14k capacity and the potential 3 sided stadium. I'd much rather a stadium like Rotherhams at a 14k capacity than some 3 sided affair.
rotherhams ground is a good little stadium I agree

14000 is not a vast improvement on 11000, but I guess we won't be near the Championship any time soon....if ever.

I wonder if this actually a change to the stadium design? The press release talks about phase 1 being 14000 capacity, reading back about the currently submitted plans, the architects website says:

The stadium will be built in two phases. First the simple and cheap part: single-tiered C-shaped stands in the west, south and east, holding 13,893 people.

So I wonder if this deal enables us to crack on with the 3-sided stadium plans and Ron is still planning the main stand in conjunction with Hilton hotels?

so how will the club receive non football related income if the proposal is now purely housing ? aren't we just moving the existing issues from one site to another ? or am i missing something ?

sorry Billericay i think we posted at the same time

so how will the club receive non football related income if the proposal is now purely housing ? aren't we just moving the existing issues from one site to another ? or am i missing something ?
Exactly the question I was about to ask! I thought one perk of moving was to increase revenue all year round.

Also interesting regarding the 2 phases, I really don't like the idea of playing in a three sided stadium. They always look ****.

I'm guessing we can host other events and could get x % from income on houses?

I'm pretty sure that Southend United will hold leases of all the newly built property and will allow the council to rent them at a cheap price and subsequently sub let them to tenants. The council make money as so do the club.

At the end of the lease (usually) 99 years the club will offer the leasehold to the council so that the properties will be solely theirs.

I think it is important to read the statement on the Council website. The council will have no input into the stadium but it is clear that Roots Hall remains until the new stadium is built. It does seem the 14000 is phase one. All in all encouraging as this is what the council and its leader are saying as well as Ron. Blimey I might be alive to see it.

Back