• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I do not believe you are shot down for saying it. Unfortunately the embargo like many things is alluded to before known for definite and then when it is known the source is never revealed. So yes some of us wish not to accept every suggestion/opinion the second it is posted. Come on Smiffy, you know this forum, there are plenty of alarmists that say things for the sake of it, plenty of anglers and plenty that swear blind they are right and then proved wrong.

I am glad that you and some others reveal odds and sods about the club but even you must accept some of your posts are alarmist before the fact. I am sure your heart is in the right place, Blues through and through but you dont hold back, like others too, when there is a chance to drag RM's name through a deep trough of slurry.

Alarmist posts?....where?

And I would only post things I knew were facts. I do not post stuff for the sake of it. If I hear any "news" I would always try to pass that on to the rest of the fan base. As long as it did not put any of the sources in a predicament. And I am sure that applies to anyone else that perhaps has a source or two. Which is fair enough no?

I fully believe that all fans have a right to know what is going on. Good or bad. And I am sure Chris P feels the same. Especially when people such as Sturrock have been given a hard time by a small minority. When in truth the conditions he has been working under recently have been very poor indeed. Now it is out, perhaps those fans will lay off him a little and get behind the man. That is a positive in my book.

RM bashing does not really come into it. As I said above, I just think the fans have a right to know. If another member of the club was to do something I didn't agree with, that resulted in "news" I would speak out against them as well.

You should be able to tell who actually knows though.

There are people on here who when they say they have heard something I know its going to be true.

Some of the information that comes out is iffy, but when you get numerous reliable posters saying the same thing then I personally accept it.

Yes you are right Jam Man. Could and should. But you also know some of the reliable ones still make assumptions before being in the know and often because its what they want to believe.

Sometimes it would be better, when sure, to say e.g. The club is definitely under an embargo. I will not name source.

Then those that are often in the know will be believed but usually its vague, 'I think we are under an embargo or looks like an embargo or more usually veiled in blurb about some fruit drink.

Yes you are right Jam Man. Could and should. But you also know some of the reliable ones still make assumptions before being in the know and often because its what they want to believe.

Sometimes it would be better, when sure, to say e.g. The club is definitely under an embargo. I will not name source.

Then those that are often in the know will be believed but usually its vague, 'I think we are under an embargo or looks like an embargo or more usually veiled in blurb about some fruit drink.

The problem we have is that things change on a daily basis and we don't want to mis-lead people.

With regard to the embargo if our recent home matches attracted large crowds and the money received was to pay off the relevant debts the embargo could be instantly lifted without our knowledge. The club won't admit an embargo is in place (as won't the Football League) so we would only know when new players are brought in.

We will never reveal any sources of information as it would cause untold grief for the people concerned, if people don't believe the "rumours" told they don't have to.

I was advised that the highest number of embargos on any one club at any one time was 11 - ie 11 different entities that have referred a club to the Football League for unpaid debts and it needs all 11 to be paid for the embargo to be lifted.

I was also that though our record was high, we have never had 11.

I think that as a financially struggling League 2 club that being under embargos for short periods as determined by our cash flow, or lack of it, is something that will become part and parcel of our existence.

Alarmist posts?....where?

And I would only post things I knew were facts. I do not post stuff for the sake of it.

The only thing I'll say about this Smiffy, since you brought it up, is that sometimes the way that you say the things that you've heard is the same way as the way that you say that the things that you're predicting (speculation about our chances of signing Freddy Eastwood last season and with Bilel Mohsni after one of his strops).

Not having a pop, just saying that sometimes it's difficult for us to know whether to accept things at face value or not.

I was advised that the highest number of embargos on any one club at any one time was 11 - ie 11 different entities that have referred a club to the Football League for unpaid debts and it needs all 11 to be paid for the embargo to be lifted.

I think that as a financially struggling League 2 club that being under embargos for short periods as determined by our cash flow, or lack of it, is something that will become part and parcel of our existence.

Level 9 was mentioned to me the other day. What that means I don't know...

Exactly. It's part of the shifting nature of football and the authorities attempts to get on top of things. In years past clubs could run up millions of pounds worth of debt to HMRC and other Clubs. Now they can't because action is taken on both straight away. It's going to be part and parcel of lower league football.

The only thing I'll say about this Smiffy, since you brought it up, is that sometimes the way that you say the things that you've heard is the same way as the way that you say that the things that you're predicting (speculation about our chances of signing Freddy Eastwood last season and with Bilel Mohsni after one of his strops).

Not having a pop, just saying that sometimes it's difficult for us to know whether to accept thnigs at face value or not.

Fair do's. Perhaps at times I can be a little facetious! :hilarious: But usually that is to protect the source. And I would rather hint, with perhaps a dash of sarcasm, than come out and say it outright, if that makes sense.

But the truth (well what I believe it to be anyway) is usually contained in my posts one way or another. :thumbsup:

Fair do's. Perhaps at times I can be a little facetious! :hilarious: But usually that is to protect the source. And I would rather hint, with perhaps a dash of sarcasm, than come out and say it outright, if that makes sense.

But the truth (well what I believe it to be anyway) is usually contained in my posts one way or another. :thumbsup:

Well as one of a number of people in the know cant you et al start a shrimperzone action committee to represent board members and be able to legitimately put things to the club on behalf of the site members and report back without impunity?
I know there is the Trust, but I for one support at games and follow on here. Just a thought.
Maybe the site could then get shrimperzone board in readiness for when RM allegedly wants to offload the new stadium. Dream but interesting.

Well as one of a number of people in the know cant you et al start a shrimperzone action committee to represent board members and be able to legitimately put things to the club on behalf of the site members and report back without impunity?
I know there is the Trust, but I for one support at games and follow on here. Just a thought.
Maybe the site could then get shrimperzone board in readiness for when RM allegedly wants to offload the new stadium. Dream but interesting.

SZ has on several occasions arranged Q&A sessions with club board members in the past, which were open to all. It would be up to the owners to decide if perhaps another one was worth doing. But to be honest most come away from those types of things none the wiser anyway! :hilarious:

Shrimperzone has to be an impartial as a message forum.

I wouldnt trust them with the new stadium, have you seen them ?

SZ has on several occasions arranged Q&A sessions with club board members in the past, which were open to all. It would be up to the owners to decide if perhaps another one was worth doing. But to be honest most come away from those types of things none the wiser anyway! :hilarious:

I am currently negotiating a meeting next week with the Chairman. Further details and outcome will be reported on the Zone.

Of course it is. For a start the grass is rarely greener. And secondly Ron Martin owns the ground and has pretty much sold it to a supermarket as well as owning the land where the proposed new ground is built. A messy divorce from him won't go well for anyone.

Unless there's a clear and compelling alternative who the fan base can get behind and who has a precise strategy for taking the club forward whilst remaining in the Borough of Southend then a huge 'Martin Out' campaign seems reckless, pointless and counter-productive.

Does he? I think that most of that area is owned by Southend Council who have agreed at some point to hand it over for free so the ground can be built.

Back