• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Standing in the Gangways

This is a continuing issue, Then finally you have another breed that simply couldn't give **** about anyone when standing, gangways, seats in front of you, who cares, it's an issue across pro football, but is still very annoying and sad when it happens
Happens at home games as well. Boxing day v Barnet i was sat near the back of T block in West Stand. During 1st half 2 cretins stood in the aisle near me, didn't obscure my view but the old guy 2 rows behind asked them to move or sit down, as they were blocking his view.
Needless to say he got a verbal reply, although couple of mins later, they moved off somewhere else.
Few seasons ago i had tickets for a home game for my 2 sons & me, in a spot in West Stand where no stanchions blocked our view. Upon arriving 3 'scroats' were sat there, i said 'excuse me, you're sitting in our seats'?. One of them said 'so what' FFS. I promptly replied 'well, you'd better find somewhere else to sit'?. They upped & did.
Unfortunately, today's world is somewhat different from the one we grew up in?.

You obviously don't sit in the W block

It's like this every game. Sometimes 3 deep in an aisle..

As for the issue at away games.

It's simple. Book tickets down the front. I always book back row with a view to stand and not annoy anyone.
No I don’t, largely because it’s unsafe!

I think we are going round in cycles here bit. I agree football is about going to support your team but its also about enjoying the away day experience...... Majority of away fans stand, its the same with every club in the country and that wont change due to minority who disagree. What option have fans who want to sit at away games got? The only 2 solution I know of is to buy tickets in the front rows or don't go. There isn't much else to say really.
Don't really want a massive argument but I'm going to bring this up, what about if you don't want to sit in your seat in an all seated stand (which is what they've been designed for) then don't go.

I also get the argument for people wanting to sit in seats sit towards the front however what if there are not enough rows of seats towards the front for the demand of people wanting to sit. Another thing is personally I hate sitting at the front especially if its behind the goal as views are not great and the other end seems miles away particularly if the away ground is anything like the north west or south first few rows.

With all these comments, it will be a nervous or interesting time for some fans regarding the Roots Hall refurb plans.

People calling for the North stand to return to home fans and the South for away fans (been discussed cant really be done etc. but people still have their views it can) people that like to sit particularly in the south upper and behind a goal will be ****ed. Because others that want to go in the North will want to stand and block everyone's view unless you sit in the first couple of rows and have problem seeing over the advertising boards.

Just for clarity the following comes from the ground regulations at Chesterfield :

“12 All persons entering seated areas of the Ground may only occupy the seat allocated to them by their ticket. No person entering the Ground should move from any one part of the Ground to another part without the express permission or instruction of any steward, officer of the Club and/or any police officer.

13 Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.The obstruction of gangways, access ways, exits and entrances, stairways and like places is strictly forbidden. Nobody entering the Ground shall be permitted to climb any structures within the Ground.”

Of course, all seater stadiums are a pain, but we should remember why clubs were forced down that route - people who wanted to watch a football game lost their lives.

So we now have the situation being argued and supported that people who buy a ticket to sit and watch a football game should go out of there way to allow a group of people who don’t want to sit, even though they have bought a ticket for a seat and agreed to comply with ground conditions.

Personally I hate watching a match from the front rows - where you just get a good view of players knees and ankles and not a perspective of the whole pitch.

Quite frankly, occupying an aisle is a clear health and safety issue and is dangerous. Others have pointed out that it is selfish and shows complete disrespect for other supporters.

But then I see this all round. As someone born in the early 50s and with arthritis in my back, I have often had to stand on a train while younger fitter people occupy the “priority seats”.

Standing rather that sitting is a growing problem in theatres as well.

If you want to stand and watch a game don’t buy a ticket for a seat. If you buy a ticket for a seat - sit in it. It’s quite simple really and shouldn’t be too much to ask.

Don't really want a massive argument but I'm going to bring this up, what about if you don't want to sit in your seat in an all seated stand (which is what they've been designed for) then don't go.

I also get the argument for people wanting to sit in seats sit towards the front however what if there are not enough rows of seats towards the front for the demand of people wanting to sit. Another thing is personally I hate sitting at the front especially if its behind the goal as views are not great and the other end seems miles away particularly if the away ground is anything like the north west or south first few rows.
As iv previously said to another poster the majority of fans who go away from home stand! It's just the way it is. So the only real option for people who want to sit is at the front. I don't see what other options there are for fans like yourself then if your not prepared to stand if you do not want to buy tickets at the front.

As iv previously said to another poster the majority of fans who go away from home stand! It's just the way it is. So the only real option for people who want to sit is at the front. I don't see what other options there are for fans like yourself then if your not prepared to stand if you do not want to buy tickets at the front.
I understand where you are coming from, I knew there may have been a problem with the standing at Barnet although not expecting the aisles to be blocked which is why I chose my seats just under halfway up from the bottom. I gave so many people the opportunity to stand behind me without blocking my view whilst I also got a decent view of the pitch (although it would have been better a few rows up) however what went on was taking the ****.

From pictures of the away end taken on the day during the game you can see plenty spare seats in A block towards the end and near the front. No doubt some of these ticket holders were the ones standing in the aisles. As it’s been pointed out by some if you want to sit then get seats towards the front but that also works with people wanting to stand then get seats towards the back and stand in front of the seat and not in the aisles and gang ways. This is also a problem with clubs like Barnet that only release 1 or 2 blocks at a time. People will just buy any available tickets asap to assured of entry and booking the first few rows maybe limited for some as they may well have already been sold in that block that is selling at that time

All this is just another example of the decline in standards of public behaviour in recent years, seemingly exacerbated by the Covid pandemic. Loutish behaviour (blocking gangways, standing in a seated area etc) is now standard. Trips to theatre and cinema often ruined by inconsiderate actions like singing along, use of mobile phones even laptops. Restaurants with out of control children running around screaming. The list is endless. The 'me, me,me' generation has taken over. Truly the Uk is world leader in this field.

All this is just another example of the decline in standards of public behaviour in recent years, seemingly exacerbated by the Covid pandemic. Loutish behaviour (blocking gangways, standing in a seated area etc) is now standard. Trips to theatre and cinema often ruined by inconsiderate actions like singing along, use of mobile phones even laptops. Restaurants with out of control children running around screaming. The list is endless. The 'me, me,me' generation has taken over. Truly the Uk is world leader in this field.
I haven’t experienced that behaviour in restaurants or cinemas to be honest .. when are you going?! I avoid them on Saturdays.

Regards standing in the aisles .. well, that’s surely something the stewards are meant to ‘police’. People want to stand and watch football and get ****ed up and create an atmosphere, always have. I guess in the old days you’d have seats and terraces and you’d go in the seats if you didn’t want to stand for 90 mins. Safe standing I guess is the answer, giving away fans just seats will always cause this argument to happen.

I do sympathise with people who wish to sit .. I guess the answer is booking near the front or right at the ends of the stand away from the singing sections. Unfortunately that means a worse view.

Standing in seated areas has been a thing for years, ever since terraces started being phased out. Not sure what makes you think it’s a recent thing or ‘loutish’

You know, some people prefer to stand at football because they find it more comfortable. If i’ve sat on my arse for 4 hours each way to get to Chesterfield and back, the last thing I want to do is sit on my arse for 90 minutes of football in between. It’s called personal preference and is nothing to do with being ‘loutish’.

Standing in seated areas has been a thing for years, ever since terraces started being phased out. Not sure what makes you think it’s a recent thing or ‘loutish’

You know, some people prefer to stand at football because they find it more comfortable. If i’ve sat on my arse for 4 hours each way to get to Chesterfield and back, the last thing I want to do is sit on my arse for 90 minutes of football in between. It’s called personal preference and is nothing to do with being ‘loutish’.
It is when it's an all-seater stadium, or even a seated section.

As I said earlier, I've been caught up in this, but didn't mind and just stood as well, so I'm not coming at this from any particular angle. I just find it amazing that people can be so selfish that when asked they feel the need to either ignore or hurl abuse.

If you don't want to sit, then go to the standing section. If there isn't one then show a bit of respect to both your hosts and your fellow fans.

It is when it's an all-seater stadium, or even a seated section.

As I said earlier, I've been caught up in this, but didn't mind and just stood as well, so I'm not coming at this from any particular angle. I just find it amazing that people can be so selfish that when asked they feel the need to either ignore or hurl abuse.

If you don't want to sit, then go to the standing section. If there isn't one then show a bit of respect to both your hosts and your fellow fans.
I agree if you are going to stand you should be mindful of others, I haven’t suggested otherwise and always buy a ticket in the back row to avoid any situation like this.

But the post I was replying to just generalised standing in seated areas and suggested it’s a recent thing (it’s definitely not). Blocking gangways are an issue, yes. Standing when it doesn’t affect anyone else isn’t. None of the points you are making were made by the post I was replying to so I’m not sure why they’re being aimed at me.

I agree if you are going to stand you should be mindful of others, I haven’t suggested otherwise and always buy a ticket in the back row to avoid any situation like this.

But the post I was replying to just generalised standing in seated areas and suggested it’s a recent thing (it’s definitely not). Blocking gangways are an issue, yes. Standing when it doesn’t affect anyone else isn’t. None of the points you are making were made by the post I was replying to so I’m not sure why they’re being aimed at me.
Fair enough. I completely agree, I don't think it is a new thing either.

Exactly my point. 'Personal preference' i.e. I can do what I like, takes precedence over consideration for others. Seating means exactly that.

There is something that "gets my goat" at away games that partially feeds into this discussion ......... and that is the inane approach from clubs trying to squeeze away fans into as small an area as possible even when there clearly is space available.

As a result fans with differing preferences with regard to seating & standing are rammed in together causing some tensions that don't need to be there.

At Crewe a few years ago we were like sardines in a can despite there being an empty section alongside - we couldn't go into that area for "health & safety" reasons. When a few more fans arrived a miracle occurred (sorry about the sarcasm) and the area was opened up. I can report that no-one was hurt or injured.

I suspect that a factor influencing this is how many fans are, shall we say, a little boisterous at times. Bottling them up possibly helps with their management but it has a knock on effect on those fans who are more sedate ........... but these fans are equally there to support their team to the hilt.

And then you look at Saturday's game - we (Southend United fans) would have been fine in the stand behind the goal - there was an empty section as it was - we could have used the whole stand & all our fans would have had options as to where to sit (or stand).

Chesterfield's decision to put us in a different area (compared with previous games there that I have been to) was to the detriment of a number of Southend fans.

Sometimes you look at the game & think "is this the worst area for treatment of customers of any business there is?"

And modern music is just noise......

Quite simply the problems we are encountering are because our away support is too big for most sides at this level, a couple of years ago Chesterfield gave us an entire stand behind the goal, which seems sensible, but when Borehamwood turn up with thirteen people it ruins the atmosphere, it also limits the sale of season tickets if they switch the away allocation for each match.

When you talk about generation me just who is that aimed at? I'm 40 and in my adulthood there has been crippling global recessions, a plague, a total lack of affordable housing, a general erosion of living standards, multiple wars and what looks very much like the start of a third world war. None of these events have been caused by my generation or the ones that followed

Back