• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Standing in the Gangways

And then you look at Saturday's game - we (Southend United fans) would have been fine in the stand behind the goal - there was an empty section as it was - we could have used the whole stand & all our fans would have had options as to where to sit (or stand).

Chesterfield's decision to put us in a different area (compared with previous games there that I have been to) was to the detriment of a number of Southend fans.

Sometimes you look at the game & think "is this the worst area for treatment of customers of any business there is?"

Don’t most clubs put away supporters in the worst part of their ground If they can? Let’s face it, having to cater for away fans is a nuisance because of crowd segregation. They are not likely to be returning supporters. Chesterfield of course used part of what was for away supporters for home fans who will go back week after week.

We‘ve even occasionally done that at Roots Hall.

I wouldn’t want to sit in the North East Corner at Roots Hall or even what was tried a long time ago - the South Lower.

Having endured an afternoon in the rain at Yeovil on an open terrace nearly 20 years ago my attendance at away games is based on comfort. My preference would be a nice seat on the half way line, but this is of course denied me because I’m not permitted to sit with human beings from another town. So I hardly bother with away games now, apart from pretending to be a Dover supporter a couple of years ago- after all it was my nearest club.

Standing in seated areas has been a thing for years, ever since terraces started being phased out. Not sure what makes you think it’s a recent thing or ‘loutish’

You know, some people prefer to stand at football because they find it more comfortable. If i’ve sat on my arse for 4 hours each way to get to Chesterfield and back, the last thing I want to do is sit on my arse for 90 minutes of football in between. It’s called personal preference and is nothing to do with being ‘loutish’.

The fact is your personal preference wasn’t available at Chesterfield or in fact any all seater stadium. So your choice should be sit in the seat for which you have bought a ticket, stay at home or watch another game where you could stand.

There will be a number of people who can’t stand or don’t want to stand. You are saying your preference is to override their rights. Sounds like bullying to me.

And modern music is just noise......

Quite simply the problems we are encountering are because our away support is too big for most sides at this level, a couple of years ago Chesterfield gave us an entire stand behind the goal, which seems sensible, but when Borehamwood turn up with thirteen people it ruins the atmosphere, it also limits the sale of season tickets if they switch the away allocation for each match.

When you talk about generation me just who is that aimed at? I'm 40 and in my adulthood there has been crippling global recessions, a plague, a total lack of affordable housing, a general erosion of living standards, multiple wars and what looks very much like the start of a third world war. None of these events have been caused by my generation or the ones that followed
Ask yourself the reasons for these multiple crises and the answer is clear, but cannot be mentioned because it's political!

I am not as steady on my feet as I was, at Chesterfield I was in row K and had to stand for the majority of the game, coming out I stumbled and almost fell down the stairs because of the people standing in the gangways. I have no problem with people standing up if your team scores but this was for the whole game, totally inconsiderate and spoiling the game for most of the people.
One post said if I cannot stand I should not go, I paid for a seat and expected to sit in one, I have sent an e-mail to Chesterfield asking why these people were not told to sit like human beings, I await there reply and excuses

The fact is your personal preference wasn’t available at Chesterfield or in fact any all seater stadium. So your choice should be sit in the seat for which you have bought a ticket, stay at home or watch another game where you could stand.

There will be a number of people who can’t stand or don’t want to stand. You are saying your preference is to override their rights. Sounds like bullying to me.
So by your logic - when we play Portsmouth (the whole away end is safe standing) if I purchase my safe standing seat down the front, it means I can stand because my preference is available?

Not that I disagree with your point nor would I buy a seat down the front, but there needs to be a better job at accommodating fans who pay the same money who wish to stand and should not be forced to sit, likewise for fans who should not be forced to stand.

Until clubs safely integrate standing areas and tickets, the simple solution contrary to what has been stated in this thread by the standers isn't to force the sitters to sit down the front it is to sit if you bought a seated ticket as per stated on the ticket. Also to go see a doctor if once your bum hits plastic you lose your voice and the use of your limbs. :Winking:

And if you still really really want to stand when it is all seater have some consideration for the people around you and move to where you can break the rules without inconveniencing those that wish to use their ticket as intended.

I don't mind standing and don't mind sitting. Sometimes I prefer one over the other. I just do what is on the ticket I bought

I am not as steady on my feet as I was, at Chesterfield I was in row K and had to stand for the majority of the game, coming out I stumbled and almost fell down the stairs because of the people standing in the gangways. I have no problem with people standing up if your team scores but this was for the whole game, totally inconsiderate and spoiling the game for most of the people.
One post said if I cannot stand I should not go, I paid for a seat and expected to sit in one, I have sent an e-mail to Chesterfield asking why these people were not told to sit like human beings, I await there reply and excuses
I was on the end of row L hence why I posted in the first place.I too lodged an email to Chesterfield and will post their response if and when they reply.

At Crewe a few years ago we were like sardines in a can despite there being an empty section alongside - we couldn't go into that area for "health & safety" reasons. When a few more fans arrived a miracle occurred (sorry about the sarcasm) and the area was opened up. I can report that no-one was hurt or injured.

I suspect that a factor influencing this is how many fans are, shall we say, a little boisterous at times. Bottling them up possibly helps with their management but it has a knock on effect on those fans who are more sedate ........... but these fans are equally there to support their team to the hilt.
We do the same to away fans at roots hall, doesnt make it right but we should remember that.

So by your logic - when we play Portsmouth (the whole away end is safe standing) if I purchase my safe standing seat down the front, it means I can stand because my preference is available?

Not that I disagree with your point nor would I buy a seat down the front, but there needs to be a better job at accommodating fans who pay the same money who wish to stand and should not be forced to sit, likewise for fans who should not be forced to stand.

The whole Away End is not safe standing - if it were, there would not be any seats.

From Reading’s web site - “Portsmouth offer safe standing in blocks M, N, P & Q in row K and above. Those wishing to stand must purchase a ticket within the appropriate blocks and rows, those who purchase seats in the seated area will be expected to stay seated.”

Rows A to J are seated only.

Remodelling a ground to change from seats to safe standing doesn’t come cheap. I think most fans would prefer that money spent strengthening the team.

I’m sure you don’t need reminding why we ended up with all seater stadia in the first place.

I was in row J, and couldn't see a thing despite standing for the whole game, as too small to see past other people a foot taller than me! I am now suffering as well as a consequence of being jostled around from people standing too close and in the aisles. I now have pretty horrible pain in my ankle and back (I am not disabled, but I have a hypermobility disorder) that will be weeks to fix! Totally agree, it was completely inconsiderate and I cant see why one group should ride roughshod over the rest of the crowd, when the seats are in a seated area and no effort was made to even try to move to the back of the stand.

They were standing in the gangway from row H upwards, just behind me. As others have said I have no problem with people standing at the rear and sitting at the front, but these individuals showed no consideration at all to anyone sitting near them. It is getting worse and with our away crowd growing it’s only a matter of time before someone is injured. It was mainly those that came in just before kick off that found there was no space at the back. I Was abused at York by some oik that thought they’d stand in front of me, I’d was sitting in the front row! He literally squared up to me when I asked him to move, I told him to grow up and f**** off.

It is getting worse and with our away crowd growing it’s only a matter of time before someone is injured.
It's really not going to be a problem for the remainder of the season.

Oxford City = mainly standing on a 'terrace' if you can call it that! If we have any seats it won't be many and all the early birds will snap then up.

Maidenhead = mainly standing on the cramped corner terrace. Small number of seats once again you have to be early to get one.

Oldham = all seated 4,000 to choose from I think we will be OK there.

Hartlepool = all seated 1,054 a few people will want to stand but as we will only take 350 to 400 then it won't be a problem.

Ebbsfleet = decent terrace and a small number of seats. Still not sure if they will give us the whole terrace?

Solihull = a terrace, not sure if we will have any seats they seem to change it on each of last visits.

Fylde = 1,100 terrace. A small number of seats I think.

Wealdstone = 800 terrace and about 350 seats. Don't think I have ever seen many people standing in the seats there.

I bought an allocated seat, in the back row, in the corner, nowhere near the issue of the blocked gangways.

How on earth am I overriding anybody’s rights by standing in my allocated seat, in the back row in the corner?

There were people standing in the rows in front of me anyway, so how you can accuse me of overriding other’s rights and bullying, whilst telling me to stay at home for not sitting (when I couldn’t even if I wanted to) is beyond belief.

Last edited:
If a club sells a seat for you to watch a match from a seated position then surely they have a duty to ensure you can do this . Wonder what would happen if people started to demand refunds due to the fact that what they was sold didn’t actually happen 🤔

All this is just another example of the decline in standards of public behaviour in recent years, seemingly exacerbated by the Covid pandemic. Loutish behaviour (blocking gangways, standing in a seated area etc) is now standard. Trips to theatre and cinema often ruined by inconsiderate actions like singing along, use of mobile phones even laptops. Restaurants with out of control children running around screaming. The list is endless. The 'me, me,me' generation has taken over. Truly the Uk is world leader in this field.
We’ve actually taken our lead from America on the entitlement point and we’ve now surpasses them on it. Worse is to come with political correctness. We’ve still got a way to come to match the US but it is not far off.

Standing permanently in seated stadiums where it blocks someone’s view (I.e not at the back) is sheer ignorance and indefensible. I’ve yet to see a credible argument on this thread to defend it but plenty of comments that just underline ignorance.

Simple question. Apart from W Block (and X) name one seating area in RH where standing the whole game would be accepted by those in and around it?

Back