• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
So we've all forgiven Cristiano Ronaldo then have we? Did I miss a meeting? I've seen some strange things in football this week. I've watched first-hand as a star-studded Tottenham Hotspur side fail to string more than three passes together. I've sat in surprise at Stamford Bridge as Chelsea have racked up four goals in Europe, but I've not seen anything quite as odd as the standing ovation given to Ronaldo as he trotted back onto the Old Trafford turf in midweek.

Did the summer actually happen or was it all a really long, tedious dream? If it was actually all a dream then I'm livid. I'd much rather have had that one with Lindsay Lohan and the banoffee ice cream again. What's happened to those supporters? Have they been sweeping through the newspaper archives with a Stalinist zeal, ripping out any mentions of 'dream moves', 'slavery' or 'Bernabeu'? Is this a state of mass denial?

In case you were living in a cave last summer, and I really wish I had been, here's what happened. In May, Ronaldo pranced about the pitch in Moscow, waving his Champions League medal and telling anyone who would listen that he was staying at Manchester United. Then came the stories from Spain suggesting that he would soon be signing for Real Madrid. Ronaldo could, at any time, have released a statement denying all of this and pledging his future to United, but he didn't. He leaked out little hints and snippets suggesting that he was desperate to go. There were even stories that his agent had already agreed a deal with Real Madrid and that they just needed to force Sir Alex Ferguson's hand in order to push it through. Ronaldo went on holiday, where he went as brown as a teak wardrobe and, like any good athlete, partied with Paris Hilton. Sadly for him, no-one 'forces' Ferguson's hand.

Then there was talk of 'modern day slavery' from Sepp Blatter, the kind of buffoonish, crazy-talk which would have remained nothing more than another hilarious Blatter comedy sketch, had it not been for Ronaldo popping up a couple of days later to agree with him. Rule number one in football, if you find yourself agreeing with Blatter on anything, make an ideological u-turn before someone hears you.

Then finally came the apology, the weak explanation, the vague display of commitment and last Wednesday's return to action. And how did the United fans respond to this summer of confusion, of plotting, of thinly-veiled treachery? They gave him a standing ovation. Astonishing.

At least the Arsenal fans had the dignity and self-respect to give Emmanuel Adebayor a good verbal shoeing when he re-appeared after a summer of similar machinations. Even the Aston Villa supporters, who can't afford to have such lofty principles, let Gareth Barry know that he'd let them down when his move to Liverpool fell through.

With their unblinking, unthinking, unwavering show of adoration, the United fans have shamed themselves. They're like a desperate wife, taking her husband back after his humiliatingly obvious affair with a pretty young intern at work. He's apologised, he's promised that it won't ever happen again and she's happy to carry on as if it never happened in the first place. But it did happen and, you mark my words, it will happen again.

They're like a desperate wife, taking her husband back after his humiliatingly obvious affair with a pretty young intern at work. He's apologised, he's promised that it won't ever happen again and she's happy to carry on as if it never happened in the first place. But it did happen and, you mark my words, it will happen again.

That analogy doesn't really work, unless your wife was Lucy Pinder. Put it this way, if it was anyone else, they wouldn't welcome him back. But this is Ronaldo, who is a class above, in footballing terms at least.

Yep, they may be fickle in this case but if John O'Shea spent the summer bigging up his dream move to FC Schalke I can't see him getting a standing ovation if he then decided to stay.

I think the ovation was more to do with the 40 goals and not the person himself, United's strike force has looked blunt without him.

Whilst I completely agree with the sentiment and was equally as shocked and appauled at the reception he recieved, I can kind of understand how his return is of upmost importance to them.

They've had, by United's terms, a shocking start to the season. For the first time in God knows how long they lost at Anfield and have definitely struggled in finding the scintillating passing game that made them last season... A loss at Stamford Bridge at the weekend and people will already be writing them off. It's only good news that Michael Carrick is out as, if he played, well who the hell would he pass to with no Ronaldo?

With Ronaldo back, United fans have restored faith and hope in the team.

Do you know I've had more mail on this one than anything I've ever written. I've got the Singaporean Manchester United Supporters' Club saying that, "Iain Macintosh has declared war on United." I've got emails telling me to **** off back to my own country, which is a little tricky as I'm already here.

People can be so mean.

Do you know I've had more mail on this one than anything I've ever written. I've got the Singaporean Manchester United Supporters' Club saying that, "Iain Macintosh has declared war on United." I've got emails telling me to **** off back to my own country, which is a little tricky as I'm already here.

People can be so mean.

"Declared war on United"!

Thats brilliant good work sir! :D

i think sometimes whoever the player is when they show that lack of respect and just being a totaly knob the fans should never forgive and let him pack his bags and bugger off to madrid. the manc fans have realised by their start to the season that they need him really bad and aren't the same team without him. if i was one of his team mates i would be well and truly ****ed off. if that was any other player fergy wouldn't have stood for it but he's well and truly given in on this one. ron thinks he's bigger than the prem thinks he's won everything. but one thing will always remain the same. he ain beaten southend!

I seem to recall in some match reprots our fans were given credit for giving Ronaldo such a rocky reception at Roots Hall. The fixture was only a few months after the 2006 World Cup and he'd apparently not been getting much stick from the Premiership fans.

People can be so mean.
I hope your reply to such emails is short, sweet and contains the words Freddy and Eastwood!

I think the ovation was more to do with the 40 goals and not the person himself, United's strike force has looked blunt without him.

I agree. They probs did it so that he can score goals and play great but they think he is a complete twonkhead like everyone else

Just ask Efe Sodje how Ronaldo broke his fingers so badly that he needed a lengthy op to repair them.

If you get the answer, you will then know what a cheating, unsporting, lowlife scumbag the Winker is!

Don't get me started on this subject!

Here, for your delectation, are some of my favourite love letters of the past three days:

Call tat Iain #$%^ go and fly kite and F**k off to ur own country to earn a living...Really **** off on the headline!!!!! He is decaring ''war'' with MAN UTD supporters!!!!!

Ian McIntosh, like most "chau ang mohs", do not have any Asian cultural understanding or practice. He has probably been living in a the western world of believing in easy break-ups.
Rather than the "desperate wife" association, the Ronaldo episode was more like the wife being influence by 3rd party, confused and comtemplating separation.
Like most Asian, the husband (MUFC) will do its very best to keep his wife (Ronaldo).

Forget about what that dumb english iain (i know nuts) reporter. Whenever he write off United or our players, he would always get slapped the following monday cause United always prove him wrong. I have not forgiven what ronaldo did but as long as he's our player and is contributing, I am fine with it.

While reading the newspaper article, I get the opinion it is written by someone who wants to see Man Utd get messy and is disappointed the fans get behind Ronaldo

why we cannot applaud Ronaldo, called us desperate housewife, that english kaki is an idiot and pathetic.

Oh, him ... Iain McCu***o

Typical bias reporter, he self-proclaimed to be Southend United fan because United lost in a League Cup game to them. How low the TNP has to stoop to to get such a "journalist" eh? *shake head* A glory-hunter like that so-called journalist will never ever understand. Southend fan indeed!

Here, for your delectation, are some of my favourite love letters of the past three days:

Call tat Iain #$%^ go and fly kite and F**k off to ur own country to earn a living...Really **** off on the headline!!!!! He is decaring ''war'' with MAN UTD supporters!!!!!

Ian McIntosh, like most "chau ang mohs", do not have any Asian cultural understanding or practice. He has probably been living in a the western world of believing in easy break-ups.
Rather than the "desperate wife" association, the Ronaldo episode was more like the wife being influence by 3rd party, confused and comtemplating separation.
Like most Asian, the husband (MUFC) will do its very best to keep his wife (Ronaldo).

Forget about what that dumb english iain (i know nuts) reporter. Whenever he write off United or our players, he would always get slapped the following monday cause United always prove him wrong. I have not forgiven what ronaldo did but as long as he's our player and is contributing, I am fine with it.

While reading the newspaper article, I get the opinion it is written by someone who wants to see Man Utd get messy and is disappointed the fans get behind Ronaldo

why we cannot applaud Ronaldo, called us desperate housewife, that english kaki is an idiot and pathetic.

Oh, him ... Iain McCu***o

Typical bias reporter, he self-proclaimed to be Southend United fan because United lost in a League Cup game to them. How low the TNP has to stoop to to get such a "journalist" eh? *shake head* A glory-hunter like that so-called journalist will never ever understand. Southend fan indeed!

Pots and kettles spring to mind...

Some of those are priceless!

That is pure unadulterated filth. Do they not have slander laws in Singapore?!

:stunned:

I love the suggestion that you'd support a second tier football team because the extent of your grudge is so great!

http://ganjataz.com/general-bollocks/images/by-GT/forum-****z/pot-kettle-black.jpg

No doubt that the fans are just pleased to have their goal machine back. Im sure they are all well aware of the judas inside him bursting to get out. If Ronaldo thinks that the fans actually like him as a person rather than the player he is, then quite frankly he is more stupid than his haircut looks.

Back