• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Steven Reid is keen to be the next Southend United boss

What's happened to this magical "re-finacing" then? Because it was on the understanding that money to pay the HMRC bill AND to keep the club running for at least next season was forthcoming, that the winding-up hearings have been deferred. If firm evidence of that funding/re-finacing being in place ain't put forward on 22nd July, it's curtains.

Going by a lot of comments on lots of threads, some posters are getting it about what a dire financial mess we are in, and some are not. Players were recently only part paid their wages, not helped by them refusing to go on furlough. Some staff had no wages. The training ground and Boots & Laces was shut as the club couldn't afford to run them. Of course Ron Martin is trying to get a cash injection on the back of the Fossetts and Roots Hall development, but it's probably not easy during the current climate. If he doesn't get an injection this month, the players could get no wages the next pay packet. Quite obvious when you think about it, with no money coming into the club at all.

This idea that the players “refused” to go on furlough has been misrepresented.

Being furloughed is no more an option for the players than anyone else. But if the club don’t make up the balance of pay now or in the furore they remain in breach of contract.

My understanding was that the original 7 players only agreed to not pursuing the breach of contract issue if they had assurances from the club that the outstanding money was only deferred and the agreement to be paid at a later date was a bit more cast iron than rons “we hope to pay when normality returns” loose assurance.

the other players furloughed last month simply wanted the same wording in t e same letter with the same assurances. That’s not unreasonable at all.

This idea that the players “refused” to go on furlough has been misrepresented.

Being furloughed is no more an option for the players than anyone else. But if the club don’t make up the balance of pay now or in the furore they remain in breach of contract.

My understanding was that the original 7 players only agreed to not pursuing the breach of contract issue if they had assurances from the club that the outstanding money was only deferred and the agreement to be paid at a later date was a bit more cast iron than rons “we hope to pay when normality returns” loose assurance.

the other players furloughed last month simply wanted the same wording in t e same letter with the same assurances. That’s not unreasonable at all.
Spot on

Just as a thought.....I wonder if Ron has had any trips to Holland lately?

I know he is accused of dithering but that was the reason last time.

Stockholm is in Sweden!

Going by a lot of comments on lots of threads, some posters are getting it about what a dire financial mess we are in, and some are not. Players were recently only part paid their wages, not helped by them refusing to go on furlough. Some staff had no wages. The training ground and Boots & Laces was shut as the club couldn't afford to run them. Of course Ron Martin is trying to get a cash injection on the back of the Fossetts and Roots Hall development, but it's probably not easy during the current climate. If he doesn't get an injection this month, the players could get no wages the next pay packet. Quite obvious when you think about it, with no money coming into the club at all.

Ron has one major source of cash influx he’s curiously holding back on: season tickets.

I know there’s a question over to what extent games will be played behind closed doors but this is easily resolved by including iFollow coverage for all matches fans can’t attend.

In previous years renewal invites have gone out nearly 6 months in advance, when we haven’t known what division we’ll be in. Yet we’re two months away from starting (if not earlier) and we’ve heard not a dicky bird.

Why is a business in financial dire straits holding back on one of its major cash flows?

Stockholm is in Sweden!

Ron has one major source of cash influx he’s curiously holding back on: season tickets.

I know there’s a question over to what extent games will be played behind closed doors but this is easily resolved by including iFollow coverage for all matches fans can’t attend.

In previous years renewal invites have gone out nearly 6 months in advance, when we haven’t known what division we’ll be in. Yet we’re two months away from starting (if not earlier) and we’ve heard not a dicky bird.

Why is a business in financial dire straits holding back on one of its major cash flows?
Probably trying to figure out how it will work, the announcement today that fans maybe allowed back in October means playing behind closed doors at the start and you can’t sell the product without knowing how many games thats for. I would buy it now anyway but some wouldn’t they would want to know whats what

If I were Chris Phillips, I would repeat the same story and tap all available candidates to ask the same question: would you take the Southend job?
There's a story from everyone he speaks to.
What I would like to see, and it's maybe in CP's pipeline, is a comment from Barrett (unless I've missed one?).
As for who is the best fit, who knows?
That said, at interview Ron should ask:
How would you salve disgruntled players who occasionally don't get paid?
Where are you going to get a decent 6ft 3ins target man, beloved by all League Two clubs?

Probably trying to figure out how it will work, the announcement today that fans maybe allowed back in October means playing behind closed doors at the start and you can’t sell the product without knowing how many games thats for. I would buy it now anyway but some wouldn’t they would want to know whats what

I’d buy as well, which is exactly why the club can sell them now and improve cash flow. Of course many will wait - but what would the club lose by putting them on sale now?

I’d buy as well, which is exactly why the club can sell them now and improve cash flow. Of course many will wait - but what would the club lose by putting them on sale now?
They wouldn’t, i was just pointing out the uptake wouldn’t be as much as usual so maybe not as much income as usual form them. BUt my son and I would definitely get ours

There is a quote from AB. He very much likes it where he is and wants to stay in summary. We can move on.

Just as a thought.....I wonder if Ron has had any trips to Holland lately?

I know he is accused of dithering but that was the reason last time.

you'd know wouldn't you? Has he?

Didnt RM say in a recent interview he had a CEO lined up but wanted to wait until everything was sorted re season end etc, maybe thats delayed now till everything is sorted re the re financing

We were supposed to have someone before Christmas last year.

Well, there are a few obvious reasons that Fagan has more credentials for the role, which you’ve both missed out.

Let’s start with the fact that he knows the squad. He’s worked with the youngsters who now make up our first team. He understands their limitations, knows how and where to play these kids, how to get the best out of them, and how they need to be mentored moving forward.

He also knows where we need to strengthen this summer, which as far as transfer windows go, is as important as any window we’ve ever had before.

And you can’t forget the fact that he knows the club. He knows the situation with the training ground. More importantly, he knows Ron. How many potential targets have been put off in the past, due to our club’s reputation with finances? It’s common knowledge that we have a points deduction lingering over our head, and Fagan knows full well the hiccups that could occur in the coming season.

And yet, he still wants the job. That means he’s either committed to the club, or he himself needs to be committed.

But above all of that, the absolute main thing that you’ve overlooked, is the fact that these youngsters genuinely want to play for Fagan. They like him. They respect him. They enjoy his tutelage. And they will run through brick walls for him. The same (for now at least) cannot be said about Reid.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Reid, and if he did end up taking the hot seat, he’d get my support without doubt. But as it stands, he is just any other manager coming into the fold, having to start from scratch. He’d be jumping in head first and learning on the job, which could take months for him to get up to Fagan’s level of familiarity & understanding.

I agree that with regards to management levels, they’re probably on par with each other. They’ve both had decent playing careers, both learnt from good managers, and have built decent reputations for themselves in their respective coaching positions.

But Fagan, as it stands, does have a significant edge over Reid, and probably AB too for that matter.

His main rival for the job right now, IMO, is Maher. And the fact remains, that appointing Maher would mean Ron parting with some dosh, which makes it seem unlikely.

What we know for fact is, the players should be returning to pre-season next week, and they still haven’t had any fitness plans laid out for them yet. They are in danger of falling behind already.

Ron needs to stop dithering, and crack on with this appointment - whoever it may be - in order to give us the necessary time to get the preparation & pre-season work, right.

The consensus amoung us fans over the last 18-months is that we held on to Powell for too long, then we held on to Bond for too long, and then we didn’t appoint Sol quick enough. Dither, dither, dither, at every turn.

We cannot afford to hang around for this upcoming season. That’s just a fact.

I agree with pretty much everything you say except the bit I've highlighted. Do you know for sure that the consensus was that we held on to both for too long? When did you conduct your survey? (That's intended to be a bit tongue in cheek, by the way.)

My view is actually that we should have kept faith with Chris Powell even if we got relegated. (As it happens I was of the view that we stayed up despite Bond, not because of him.) Had we have kept faith with Powell we wouldn't have had the issues of last season. Yes, we may be in League 2, but with a manager that has been there for 2-odd seasons and be already established as a League 2 team not in need of a summer re-build. Who knows, we may even have got promoted this season.

Ron needs to get this right.

I’m still in the camp that of all his managerial decisions made over the last couple of years the worst one was still to sack Chris Powell.

very closely followed by employing Sol Campbell.

Then followed by not giving Gary waddock the job.

In fact this may come as a shock but I’d still put employing Kevin bond behind all three of those other decisions in terms of being bad decisions ?

I agree with pretty much everything you say except the bit I've highlighted. Do you know for sure that the consensus was that we held on to both for too long? When did you conduct your survey? (That's intended to be a bit tongue in cheek, by the way.)

It felt like they were the consensuses at the time. I certainly remember the polls speaking for themselves.

My view is actually that we should have kept faith with Chris Powell even if we got relegated. (As it happens I was of the view that we stayed up despite Bond, not because of him.) Had we have kept faith with Powell we wouldn't have had the issues of last season. Yes, we may be in League 2, but with a manager that has been there for 2-odd seasons and be already established as a League 2 team not in need of a summer re-build. Who knows, we may even have got promoted this season.

Agree completely

Last edited:
Ron needs to get this right.

I’m still in the camp that of all his managerial decisions made over the last couple of years the worst one was still to sack Chris Powell.

very closely followed by employing Sol Campbell.

Then followed by not giving Gary waddock the job.

In fact this may come as a shock but I’d still put employing Kevin bond behind all three of those other decisions in terms of being bad decisions ?

I really think the time was right for Powell to go. He looked like a completely broken man at the end. The Kevin Bond appointment is up there with the worst in our history and we’ve had some ****e!

Back