• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Stevenage 0-0 Southend United

First and foremost what a terrible game of football. I'm more surprised at how bad Stevenage are. Cause we were the better team. Oxley's not had a save to make and their forward line made Dieng and Hobson look like Maldini and Nesta. We won't see a worse team this season (aside from our own).

I was against the signing of Macca due to his injury record but what a player he is when he's out there. Cracking effort for that volley. Just wish he had a bit more in him to be aware of that back pass.

Trying Taylor out wide / up top was a weird one but he was enough of a nuisance to just about do enough for me. Nearly got sent off mind!

Olayinka in the 10 and out wide doesn't cut it Doesn't seem to suit his game.

Goodship nowhere near good enough.

I'm trying to be positive here. Cause we win that with Akinola on the pitch. If we get this embargo lifted now in time for our next game, we've still got half a chance. Let's build on a clean sheet and the fact we should have won the game. This league is so poor I genuinely still believe we can stay up with signings

I'm trying to be positive here. Cause we win that with Akinola on the pitch. If we get this embargo lifted now in time for our next game, we've still got half a chance. Let's build on a clean sheet and the fact we should have won the game. This league is so poor I genuinely still believe we can stay up with signings

Absolutely. No need to worry. Ron Martin has assured us that he has an oven-ready deal which will save us.

Kyps really??? Must have been watching different games to me. He isn't spectacular but certainly hasn't let us down. Elvis on the other hand at times has been woeful

Kyps has never been able to hold down a permanent place in the team under various managers. Goals against us often stem from his area.

I'm taking a lot of positives from that game - a clean sheet; a much improved defence, especially the central pairing of Hobson and Dieng; Demi playing the ball forward more than once and Macca dictating things in the middle of the pitch and lasting a full match..

Demi infuriates me, on 42 mins (i know the time as I sent a friend a text ), he had the ball and was surging forward, 3 off their players kept backing off, he passed the halfway line and the whole time he was looking BACKWARDS for someone to pass to, rather than FORWARDS. I appreciate that thee may have been little on, but a ball into space and then a footrace for one of out players and the defender might have resulted in something. instead, we went backwards from their half and the ball ended up with Oxley. His main contribution seems to be to argue with the ref

Macca on the other hand was brilliant and our best player by some margin.
I hope our players are warming to him because he's 'never give up' attitude was exactly what we needed. even if he did no a misplaced pass (and there were several) he immediately fought to get the ball back. If we had scored at the end his performance would have been a 10 for me

are you sure about that, maybe it's my memory but I recall him losing his place thru injury, both as left-back and as a centre back. happy to stand corrected

Yes, I think he was established in the team when he got that injury at Wimbledon. Think that was when Cokes was out.

Demi infuriates me, on 42 mins (i know the time as I sent a friend a text ), he had the ball and was surging forward, 3 off their players kept backing off, he passed the halfway line and the whole time he was looking BACKWARDS for someone to pass to, rather than FORWARDS. I appreciate that thee may have been little on, but a ball into space and then a footrace for one of out players and the defender might have resulted in something. instead, we went backwards from their half and the ball ended up with Oxley. His main contribution seems to be to argue with the ref

I hope our players are warming to him because he's 'never give up' attitude was exactly what we needed. even if he did no a misplaced pass (and there were several) he immediately fought to get the ball back. If we had scored at the end his performance would have been a 10 for me

What makes macca stand out is that he reads the game, putting in a few well timed tackles, rather than going home at the first sign of a press he will hold the ball look for an option and keep at least some attacking momentum going, he isn't afraid to try a pass and have a crack at goal. Just a decent footballer and he stands out on the pitch no end.

Im of a view that with a couple of attacking signings we may well be able to string enough results together to give us a decent chance of staying up.

The ball is firmly in rons (and apparently the councils) court on how our season plays out.

It's what's so good about forums....how we all see stuff so differently !
most weeks JD gives the ref an earful in the hope the next possibly crucial decision will go our way when it matters ....an experienced tactic. And yet I see some on hear say it's a bad thing.....until macca does it, which is then a good thing ! I was pleased to see JD doing it each week and even more pleased now macca is also doing it. Every team does it and gets decision to sway they're way. It's experience!
I also think JD would love to get forward more as he can be creative but isn't playing in that role! Giving possession back is of no use with our lightweight defense, so while it's frustrating to see the drive forward faultering - I totally get why, if we had outlets like ANG playing who can accept a ball pinged in tight it would be easier. I dare say JD is as frustrated as we are with the options ahead of him.
this also applies to Elvis who I've thought the same about , but losing possession in our 2\3rds of the pitch is not good in our current state.
it's the first time I've seen macca have a really positive effect on the game (2nd half). The first half he looked off the pace again but hopefully that game will improve his match fitness and he can replicate it for the whole game. A really good 2nd half that gave us 10 men. ( I try but just can't see goodship counting as a player!...no aggression, no 5th gear, no reading of the game...blah blah..). I am happy to be enlightened of what I'm missing , but once we have more options available, his only qualification for matchtime is on the grounds of favouritism!
There were not many options but to put RT up front due to injuries ommissions...I thought he did ok as a target and stretched them a little! Yes he's young inexperienced and for this reason the opposition 'got' to him, but I thought he did ok doing what was asked of him

most weeks JD gives the ref an earful in the hope the next possibly crucial decision will go our way when it matters ....an experienced tactic. And yet I see some on hear say it's a bad thing.....until macca does it, which is then a good thing ! I was pleased to see JD doing it each week and even more pleased now macca is also doing it. Every team does it and gets decision to sway they're way. It's experience!
I also think JD would love to get forward more as he can be creative but isn't playing in that role! Giving possession back is of no use with our lightweight defense, so while it's frustrating to see the drive forward faultering - I totally get why, if we had outlets like ANG playing who can accept a ball pinged in tight it would be easier. I dare say JD is as frustrated as we are with the options ahead of him.
this also applies to Elvis who I've thought the same about , but losing possession in our 2\3rds of the pitch is not good in our current state.
it's the first time I've seen macca have a really positive effect on the game (2nd half). The first half he looked off the pace again but hopefully that game will improve his match fitness and he can replicate it for the whole game. A really good 2nd half that gave us 10 men. ( I try but just can't see goodship counting as a player!...no aggression, no 5th gear, no reading of the game...blah blah..). I am happy to be enlightened of what I'm missing , but once we have more options available, his only qualification for matchtime is on the grounds of favouritism!
There were not many options but to put RT up front due to injuries ommissions...I thought he did ok as a target and stretched them a little! Yes he's young inexperienced and for this reason the opposition 'got' to him, but I thought he did ok doing what was asked of him
Not sure why you said we all see things differently and then agreed with what I wrote, ( passes back, in refs ear)

The worst game of football and one of the worst refereeing displays I’ve seen! But we didn’t lose ???‍♂️

Getting in the ear of the ref is going to be more effective as a tag team tactic rather than it just being one player constantly moaning.

I'd use Macca as a sub to lean on his experience when the game opens up. He'd have made more out of that backpass if he hadn't have been knackered but then if he'd been fresh he probably would have got back already!

Kyps has never been able to hold down a permanent place in the team under various managers. Goals against us often stem from his area.

I repeat, take a look at how many goals have come down our right. Elvis has been a shadow of the plater he once was.

Having watched the "highlights", I' delighted I didn't see more! Gosh, it looked dreadful.

[QUOTE="Chris Powell's mate, post: 2307773, member: 9034"
But I said from day one, could never see what Kevin Bond saw in Goodship - even as potential.
[/QUOTE]

Allegedly they lived in the same road?.

Back