• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sad. Weston made an impact when he came on at Exeter. Sadly the same cannot be said about Kevan Hurst on Saturday.

At Exeter and then v Luton his most effective contributions were speeding past tired defenders to relieve pressure when we were hanging on desperately at the end.If we are a goal up in the first leg,I would hope we would still be looking to score another and Weston can't shoot or cross accurately so McLaughlin (not Hurst!)would be a better choice anyway.Weston might be fit for next Thursday!

Bentley
White Barrett Bolger Coker
Worrall Deegan Timlin Atkinson
Corr Piggott

Not a massive fan of White but I'd have him back in with Lenny in place of Deegan in midfield. Harsh? Possibly, but thinking behind that is that Lenny simply gets about the pitch more comfortably than Deegan.
I'd also start Cassidy over Piggot for work rate.

After Saturday I haven't got a clue what PB is going to go for, he does tend to go for things that no one sees coming.. Ala Hurst coming off the bench at morecambe.. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Will be interesting to see. Cant see him dropping Leonard. Think Deegan will come out.
Bentley
white Ab Bolger Coker
worrall Timlin leonard McLaughlin
Cassidy Corr

After Saturday I haven't got a clue what PB is going to go for, he does tend to go for things that no one sees coming.. Ala Hurst coming off the bench at morecambe.. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Will be interesting to see. Cant see him dropping Leonard. Think Deegan will come out.
Bentley
white Ab Bolger Coker
worrall Timlin leonard McLaughlin
Cassidy Corr

I would swap Piggy for Cass and agree with the rest...Bring on Jack last 25 if required.

Bentley
White Bolger Barrett Coker
Worrall Leonard Timlin McLaughlin
Corr Pigott

Smith Prosser Deegan Weston (if fit) Payne Cassidy Hurst

Payne and Weston to come on as impact subs, as they did so brilliantly against Exeter. Harsh to drop Payne but would rather revert to the 442 that was so effective on that winning streak. Also, Payne is only good for around 20/30 minutes and seems to start drifting out of the game after that point so he is much more suited to coming off the bench against a tiring defence IMO.

PB needs to learn from his mistakes on Saturday. For me you go back to a 4-4-2. Its going to a physical game as thats the way stevenage play especially on their own patch. Id start White back in defence and get Piggott upfront next to Corr.

So my team would be:

Bentley
Corr Piggott

This match is tailor made for Deegan.... IMO

PB needs to learn from his mistakes on Saturday. For me you go back to a 4-4-2. Its going to a physical game as thats the way stevenage play especially on their own patch. Id start White back in defence and get Piggott upfront next to Corr.

So my team would be:

Bentley
Corr Piggott

This match is tailor made for Deegan.... IMO

Spot on, Deegan must start for me to break up the play.

And that leads to the question of what is required?

A goal-less draw? A scoring draw? Do not lose the first leg at any cost? Go for the win?

It's funny as you would normally say anything other than a defeat is good, a win is even better BUT I've seen it mentioned a lot on the Stevenage forum and they're worried that if Stevenage win 1 or 2-0 they'll come to Roots Hall to defend for 90 minutes as Westley likes to do that, so perhaps we can't really lose (unless we get smashed 3 or 4-0)

We really dont want to be in a position where we have to score more than one goal at home, we have only scored 2 goals three times in the last 10 games, the other 7 just a single goal or less.

To go into the second leg even one nil down wouldnt fill me with confidence.

Bentley
Corr Pigott

There seems to be something going on with Pigott though. For Brown to choose Cassidy over him recently means he clearly thinks he brings more to the game. Neither seem to bring much of a goal threat.

............................bentley.........................
white..........bolger..............barrett.....coker
leonard......deegan...........timlin.......atkinson
.............cassidy............corr......................

pigott,payne,worrall,hurst,prosser,smith,weston

Simply, do not lose. Lose and I fear we will be unable to make it up back at the Hall.

Bentley
Worrall Leonard Timlin McLaughlin
Cassidy Corr

Without wanting to steal Mick's thunder, I notice that the ref on Sunday is Keith Stroud. Keen students of Refwatch will note that he was also the ref at Brisbane Road for the 1st leg of our JPT semi which obviously ultimately led to our trip to Wembley.

Hopefully this is a lucky omen for 2015 too!

Not too sure on Cassidy, he looks a shadow of his former self a few months back, plus I think Cassidy although he doesn't score his hard work gets results.

My team for Sunday, which is a "must not lose" game imho is:

Bentley

Worrall Leonard Deegan Timlin

Corr Cassidy​

Subs: T Smith, Prosser, Payne, Atkinson, McLaughlin, Hurst, Pigott,

Last edited:
My team for Saturday, which is a "must not lose" game imho is:

Bentley

Worrall Leonard Deegan Timlin

Corr Cassidy​

Subs: T Smith, Prosser, Payne, Atkinson, McLaughlin, Hurst, Pigott,

Sundays game is surely far more important :winking:

Can someone remind me what happens if scores are level after both games. Do away goals count ? if so is that before or after extra time ? I guess a pen shootout is the ultimate decider.

Can someone remind me what happens if scores are level after both games. Do away goals count ? if so is that before or after extra time ? I guess a pen shootout is the ultimate decider.

no away goals - extra time then pen shoot out!

Back