• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Stockport Defender

50k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, we can't stump up 50k. worrying worrying times.

Of course we have £50k. Ever heard of bargaining?

Do you usually pay the first price that a vendor quotes you; I know I don't. I usually say things like "that's more than I can pay", "it's quite a bit outside of my budget", and then let the seller think I'm not that interested and willing to walk away from the deal and see what his response is.

RM has demonstrated on more than one occassion that he drives a hard bargain. Remember the dealings over JCR, and Freddy? Remember also us valuing Freddy at something over a million quid, and Wolves offering us about £250k or some other silly figure as their first bid.

There might well be reasons to worry about the state of the club's finances, I'd be surprised if there weren't seeing as how 95% of the clubs in England are in the same boat. Nothing I've seen or heard regarding our transfer activities makes me worry though; in fact if we are spending time and money chasing players, the exact opposite would appear to be the case.

struggling to match the asking price....... believed to be around £50,000.

You have to assume that the club wouldn't put something on their own site that they knew to be untrue without correcting it. Of course this is probably just the two parties jostling for position before making a deal of some sort.

Of course we have £50k. Ever heard of bargaining?

Exactly. If we genuinely couldn't afford to pay £50k I severely doubt we would put that up on our own website.

We're trying to pay as little as possible, in a "Well we'd love to pay £50k but it's a little high for us, can you do any better?" way. It's good we're not just leaping in spending money we don't need to, just as long as we don't miss out in the end.

Bargaining is all well and good - I understand that.

Sometimes though, you just have to stump up. If Tilly thinks he is a good player (which you hope he does), then bite the bullet and pay it before Motherwell step in.

I mean £50k?! Makes you wonder what we've offered... £25k perhaps??

I think sometimes you need to pay what is being asked to make the player feel confident right from the get-go. What if we string this out and try to get him for £20k as "thats all Steve Tilson thinks he is worth"... not a great start to the lads Blues career.

As apposed to "we wanted to do all we could to secure Michael as Steve saw him as a big piece of the team for next season - its a very important signing"... all of sudden, he would be feeling wanted, valued and confident in his managers thinking of him.

Sometimes though, you just have to stump up. If Tilly thinks he is a good player (which you hope he does), then bite the bullet and pay it before Motherwell step in.

I think sometimes you need to pay what is being asked to make the player feel confident right from the get-go. What if we string this out and try to get him for £20k as "thats all Steve Tilson thinks he is worth"... not a great start to the lads Blues career.

As apposed to "we wanted to do all we could to secure Michael as Steve saw him as a big piece of the team for next season - its a very important signing"... all of sudden, he would be feeling wanted, valued and confident in his managers thinking of him.

It is a fine line, but i dont think a players confidence will revolve around the fee, there will be lots of little things in the deal we wont even get to hear about.

Ron is trying to save a few quid which i fully understand but it is a dangerous game when other clubs are rumoured to be involved. If Tilly wants this player that badly (which we dont know unless you play golf:)) then we should at least agree a fee and speak to the player quickly.

I'm not sure if I've understood the position properly, but are we negotiating with Stockport County or an Administrator ?

If the latter, would it not be expected that an offer is made ?

After all if we can save £10,000 lets save it and put it towards bringing in some more of the Scannel family.

I'm not sure if I've understood the position properly, but are we negotiating with Stockport County or an Administrator ?

If the latter, would it not be expected that an offer is made ?

After all if we can save £10,000 lets save it and put it towards bringing in some more of the Scannel family.

I agree lets get Scanners mum into catering, i heard she is a whizz with a bottle of reggae reggae sauce, tilly told me when we were golfing last week..;)

Good points Paul and it's a great idea to set the players up for a solid start, but for me, as usual in these situations, we do not know what's happening behind the scenes.

In principle, we're doing the right things, but that's only a good strategy if we don't then arrive at the start of the season with 5 players. It won't be the first time we'll have lost a player like this but I'll still back the club not to pay over the odds if it doesn't rate a player as highly as the selling club - we simply don't have the funds for that.

I've mentioned this before, but I think the business model has changed for clubs at our level. Many of the clubs above us will be tightening their belts and releasing players but that may not happen until they know where they are headed for the season. While it's not ideal to wait until days before kick-off (or even days and weeks after) to pick up bargains, it IS where the bargains are likely to be had and it's where we've picked up some of our best players in recent years. We don't need to be bidding over the odds for anyone.

It's a difficult path to tread though and I would not want to be manager, far less a chairman.

I agree lets get Scanners mum into catering, i heard she is a whizz with a bottle of reggae reggae sauce, tilly told me when we were golfing last week..;)

I like the idea CJ - in the end we might as well have a decent party - lets hopr the commercial department are reading this ;)

Good points Paul and it's a great idea to set the players up for a solid start, but for me, as usual in these situations, we do not know what's happening behind the scenes.

In principle, we're doing the right things, but that's only a good strategy if we don't then arrive at the start of the season with 5 players. It won't be the first time we'll have lost a player like this but I'll still back the club not to pay over the odds if it doesn't rate a player as highly as the selling club - we simply don't have the funds for that.

I've mentioned this before, but I think the business model has changed for clubs at our level. Many of the clubs above us will be tightening their belts and releasing players but that may not happen until they know where they are headed for the season. While it's not ideal to wait until days before kick-off (or even days and weeks after) to pick up bargains, it IS where the bargains are likely to be had and it's where we've picked up some of our best players in recent years. We don't need to be bidding over the odds for anyone.

It's a difficult path to tread though and I would not want to be manager, far less a chairman.

Agreed that its a very fine line to tread at the moment - but then again, the cynic in me thinks that it's very convenient for businesses (not just football clubs) to use the 'Credit Crunch' for just generally cutting back or laying people off - which has a knock on effect on the economy like a vicious circle.

I'm going off the point slightly! I'm just saying that £50k for a 21 year old captain of another team sounds like a fair price - unlike the near £300k for Robinson - no matter what the Stockport fans say.

Look what we said about Paynter when he left - but the Swindon fans dont think he is a total donkey!

I have a lot of family up around Manchester way, so I've had a word with them over the last couple of days to find out what his like. The response I got was all positive, but apparently Oldham are sniffing around as well and talks have begun with them.

Now thats the rumours from up North. We will wait and see.

I have a lot of family up around Manchester way, so I've had a word with them over the last couple of days to find out what his like. The response I got was all positive, but apparently Oldham are sniffing around as well and talks have begun with them.

Now thats the rumours from up North. We will wait and see.

Well if thats true, oldham and motherwell managed by former stockport boss Jim Gannon, are interested, he will probably stay in the north
and that price may not stay around 50k for long with 3 parties in for him

Next target is ....................

*does not compute*

:thump:

Matt

It wasn't meant to. It was intended as a wry comment on the way some on here go over the top about the possibility of us missing out on signing a player most of us had barely heard of 24 hours before.

Back on topic, is it possible that the player himself his weighing up his options. After all if his previous manager is interested in signing him, he may be tempted to sign for him

Back