• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Stockport Defender

Please check your facts pal.

Please f**k off back under your pink glitterball, pal.

Anyway, forgive me if I'm wrong but surely Brighton & Huddersfield have already been given the L1 promotion places for 09/10 anyway & so there's no point playing the season!

Sorry to **** on your fire but you have the wrong player.The one that was highly rated and had a trial at Liverpool joined us recently.Please check your facts pal.

Coming from the person who assured us all to great hilarity that Brighton would win everything up to and including the Grand National I think we will take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, shouldn't Brighton be signing Liverpool players now as they're the next big super power?

Sorry to **** on your fire but you have the wrong player.The one that was highly rated and had a trial at Liverpool joined us recently.Please check your facts pal.

Come on, Tunnicliffe had a trial at Liverpool nearly 4 years ago. Not exactly worth getting moist about is it.

Anyway, are you are going to go the whole season unbeaten and stroll to the title "again" this season?

What with your multi millionairre backer, huge fanbase and super stadium on the horizon, it should be a doddle huh?

Last edited:
James Tunnicliffe ( signed for Brighton in June) had Trials with Liverpool in 2005 at the age of 16 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tunnicliffe

Raynes was being watched by Liverpool before injuries meant he didn't play a lot in 2006 and 2007

Spartan, if you had checked the facts out (and paid attention at school) you may have been able to correct AD's mis-belief in a way that would not have made you sound like a ****.

In fairness the players agent is probably the one banding it about who is after him. Its also in Stockports interest to get as many interested buyers as possible to get the best price if they are resigned to loosing him so not sure blue brian or the echo really come into the equation for leaking the story.

Could someone clarify - how I am in any way linked with leaking the story?

Could someone clarify - how I am in any way linked with leaking the story?

Don't worry about it. Seems to be time of the month for some of the posters on here at the moment. Sooner the season starts, or we sign a player, the better.

Having said that, maybe not. Player we sign will no doubt be rubbish or over priced (which will be great irony after the club gets criticised for trying to negotiate player values)... and once the season starts, if we don't win 11 of our first 10 games, Tilly will be clueless and the team not fit to wear the shirt.

Ho-hum.

If we cant stump up £50k for a highly rated young defender then we really must be as tight as a nuns fanny.

I don't think for a minute that it's as easy as phoning Stockport's manager up (especially as they don't have one at the moment) and saying

"How much you want for that Raynes bloke"

"50 thousand of your English pounds"

"I'll have him then; do you take Visa?"

"Yes we do; will someone be in tomorrow morning to sign for him?"

"I'll be in all day tomorrow. By the way, what do you feed him?"

"We just give him plenty of red meat and 2 grand a week"

"Thanks a lot... oh, you haven't got a left back or a winger in stock too have you?"

"Sorry he's the last one we have at the moment, Hartlepool and Peterborough have bought all of the other players in our recent Going-Out-Of-Business Sale".

Is that how its done on FM perhaps?

PS: Let's all laugh at Spartan!

I don't think for a minute that it's as easy as phoning Stockport's manager up (especially as they don't have one at the moment) and saying

"how much you want for that Raynes bloke"

"50 thousand of your English pounds"

"I'll have him then; do you take Visa?"

"Yes we do; will someone be in tomorrow morning to sign for him?"

"I'll be in all day tomorrow. By the way, what do you feed him?"

"We just give him plenty of red meat and 2 grand a week"

"Thanks a lot... oh, you haven't got a left back or a winger in stock too have you?"

"Sorry he's the last one we have at the moment, Hartlepool and Peterborough have bought all of the other players in our recent Going-Out-Of-Business Sale"

"oh, and by the way... could you giftwrap him?"

"oh, and by the way... could you giftwrap him?"

"Hi it' Steve Tilson again; we just bought your last player from you..."

"Oh yes, what can we do you for Mr Tilson"

"My boss asked me to ask you if this blokes any good. I was supposed to ask but I forgot"

"Oh yeah he's great; like that Terry bloke but younger"

"John or Paul Terry?"

"Ha ha ha....."

Will Brighton be holding any special events this season to mark the silver anniversary of being shat on by the Palace? You really ought to. 25 years straight - not exactly a common occurrence amongst hotly contested "rivalries", is it? It's no wonder that they take the threat you pose so seriously.

There is no where in the report that we can't afford him, just a source saying that we have not matched their expectations,
We may have put in a bid, had it rejected and before going back with another the story gets out, may be in an attempt to up the price a bit by getting other clubs involved.

may be Stockport have not told Tilly that they want 50k , they may just be hanging on for another offer and the "source" is speculating.

I would guess the source is more likely to be the agent than anything to do with Stockport as I reckon they have better things to do than hunt around for the contact details of someone at a local paper 250 miles away (especially as they will have cut back on the office staff when they went into administration)

Interestingly the OS includes the quote in their Press Talk atricle.

Quote: Stockport County defender Michael Raynes is the man Southend United want to replace Peter Clarke. But the Shrimpers are struggling to match the asking price for the centre-back. Blues boss Steve Tilson confirmed to the Echo that he was interested in signing the 21-year-old. However, sources close to Stockport claim Southend have yet to meet County's valuation of their captain which is believed to be around £50,000. "There has certainly been interest from Southend in Michael but at the moment they haven't offered what Stockport are asking," said the source.

You have to assume that the club wouldn't put something on their own site that they knew to be untrue without correcting it. Of course this is probably just the two parties jostling for position before making a deal of some sort.

maybe Tilly is boxing RM into a corner ....

if Sir Steve wants RM to get the money out for real hes putting it in the public domain knowing that after Theo episode RM is under a little bit of scrutiny

I think you might need to do your research too "pal" cos according to a mate of mine up north who sometimes goes to Edgeley Park when Man City are away Raynes had training sessions at Liverpool in 2007.

Back