• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can you please stop being so disrespectful with low digs towards someone who is a great bloke and who has turned this club around and has got us to 3rd and will get us promoted. Try and use your brain cells bud.

No, youre all right thanks, I'll keep posting MY opinion whenever I feel it's necessary.
I'd say (as I've mentioned elsewhere this morning) Sturrock can be said to have been guilty of a lack of respect to the hard-suffering fans since he came, it's a two way thing.
Many managers could have "turned this club around" giving the resources & support (especially from Brady) he has had.
Current form suggests promotion isn't looking likely & look at the past few weeks on here, I'm certainly not the only one who fears this is now an unachievable goal.
Certainly don't buy the "great bloke" line either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think he does a lot of running around at the training ground, probably leaves that to Coughlan. And I'm sorry but if you think it's easy for someone with Parkinsons to walk across an uneven cut up surface like the pitch at the end of a game then you're sadly mistaken. My nan had Parkinsons and I know the difficulty she had walking any distance, now I'm aware that PS's isn't as advanced but I still don't see why people should expect him to walk over to the West Stand to applaud people barracking his team.....he's NOT Steve Tilson!

You said it OBL,and many agree.

No, youre all right thanks, I'll keep posting MY opinion whenever I feel it's necessary.
I'd say (as I've mentioned elsewhere this morning) Sturrock can be said to have been guilty of a lack of respect to the hard-suffering fans since he came, it's a two way thing.
Many managers could have "turned this club around" giving the resources & support (especially from Brady) he has had.
Current form suggests promotion isn't looking likely & look at the past few weeks on here, I'm certainly not the only one who fears this is now an unachievable goal.
Certainly don't buy the "great bloke" line either.

Do you feel that it is necessary to make yourself seem disrespectful and bigoted? Because that is what this particular view is doing my friend.

How in the world can promotion be unachievable with SO many games to go AND we are third, this is madness. You are entitiled to your opinion me old boy but get some perspective.

[/B]You said it OBL,and many agree.
My point being that just because Tilson used to come on the pitch and clap the fans, it's not at all something ALL managers do. I don't recall Luggy having done it at all, so why are people having a go about it? His condition does NOT affect his brain, it's his brain that runs the team, not his body.

Do you feel that it is necessary to make yourself seem disrespectful and bigoted?

Yeah, I do & happy to carry that on.
Being a Southend fan has not been a pleasant experience over the past 2 or 3 years, thanks mainly to the actions of one man and although I'll admit that isn't exactly Sturrock's fault, his continued presence & pedelling of Neanderthal tactics is certainly a large symptom of it!

Maybe that's why we've been found out as one dimensional hoofers with no plan B then?
Managers can be a stubborn breed, even the sainted Tilson had his critics on here at the lack or lateness of substitutions. We've seen Luggy change tactics mid game, I admit I have been totally unable to explain what we've seen go on at Roots Hall last few games but is it any coincidence at all that our poorest performances come at home when we have fans who are seemingly only too quick to criticise and show their disapproval?

To be honest I think most of the players were so embarrassed by that second half performance they couldn't wait to get off the pitch.

As for PS, I don't think he's disrespectful because he doesn't acknowledge the fans at the end of a game & nor do I think his illness is an issue at all. He is employed as a football manager & he's not doing a bad job. Perhaps others could have done equally as well as him with the resources he's been given, but we wont know that because there not here, he is.

That said he must surely look at his tactics & team selection for last night long & hard, he ****ed up, plain & simple.

Managers can be a stubborn breed, even the sainted Tilson had his critics on here at the lack or lateness of substitutions. We've seen Luggy change tactics mid game, I admit I have been totally unable to explain what we've seen go on at Roots Hall last few games but is it any coincidence at all that our poorest performances come at home when we have fans who are seemingly only too quick to criticise and show their disapproval?

I agree with this

The amount of people who slag off the players in the West is growing. Why should players want to a) work their cods off for such people. b) clap them after the game. What actually would they be clapping them for?... their support I think not!

Please don't use Sturrocks illness as the 'reason' he doesn't clap the fans - that is utter rubbish.
He doesn't do it because he doesn't feel the need to or just doesn't want to.
That's his choice , but it is fairly basic PR , and something that would appease many , so why not ?
He doesn't have to rush over to the West Stand ( sorry lads , great though your support is , you are not the ONLY true fans ) , but he could make a token effort for all to see.
As for the players , it should be a basic courtesy for the support ( cheers and boos ) , not a chance for them to rush off because they din't like the negatives.
Yes , I hate the negativity of much of our home support , but that's life I'm afraid.
If I muck up at work , my boss has a go at me ( rightly ) , so get over it lads and just acknowledge the fans for actualy turning up on a freezing Feb night.
In fact some moved quicker at the whistle than they did all game !

People do seem to have strange priorities. Its not like you were dragged kicking and screaming to the game last night, it was your choice.

Personally I'm a lot more concerned how we seem to be bottom five in terms of recent performances and really cannot see how come the end of the season we'll even have a play off place.

I also have a feeling that things are getting bad off the field again with Tara gone. Was it a coincidence that season ticket renewals and a glossy brochure were sent out last week?

I just want to see my team play well in a financially stable environment, thats not too much to ask is it? I have no desire to be 'clapped' by the team or boss.

When did this trend of players / management / tea ladies atart? In my day they'd be down the tunnel quick smart followed by a volley of cushions from the East Stand.

Most sane fans should be heading for the warmth of the bar rather than waiting for players to give them a "hearty" round of applause.

Last edited:
When did this trend of players / management / tea ;ladies atart? In my day they'd be down the tunnel quick smart followed by a volley of cushions from the East Stand.

Most sane fans should be heading for the warmth of the bar rather than waiting for players to give them a "hearty" round of applause.

I remember this when dad used to take me when I was a kid! :winking:

My point being that just because Tilson used to come on the pitch and clap the fans, it's not at all something ALL managers do. I don't recall Luggy having done it at all, so why are people having a go about it? His condition does NOT affect his brain, it's his brain that runs the team, not his body.

' Message to brain '. Hoofball, sorry direct football not working, so lets try passing the ball on the ground!!

Of all the reasons I've seen that Sturrock is a terrible manager, the fact he doesn't walk over to the west stand to clap at the end is probably the most ridiculous. What would Sturrock be clapping for after that performance anyway?

Come on, give the guy a break - he's got Parkinsons for goodness sake!

I would imagine that they were all to ashamed to show their faces round the ground last night from what I've read here, and if you're getting booed by your own supporters, would you really want to face them at the end? Can't say I would.

Jesus christ, just cause he has an illness doesnt mean he cant walk. About time they started showing more consideration for fans who put up with complete 5hite most weeks.

And show some respect that the guy has parkinsons, alot of people have illnesses in this country and they get on with it. Stop feeling sorry for him, he's big enough to look after himself.

I wouldn't expect Sturrock to come over and clap. The guy's a top bloke and does show his respect in interviews and match day programs. In the past two months or so, Clohessy has been the only one to walk around and clap the players. I remember the Swindon game where he moaned at the other players for not walking around and came straight over to the fans when he realized that the sulking babies that like to be known as footballers where walking straight down the tunnel. Top bloke if you ask me

Back