• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I admire the effort from all of those involved with TBV, but wonder whether it may be doing more harm than good. In the past, even in the lower leagues, when something good happened, those people willing to sing and chant were dotted around the ground. This might mean the chanting was disorganised and brief, but it did mean there were people areas of the ground other than the North-West that wanted to sing.

As I said, this is no criticism of the ideals or efforts of TBV, I'm just wondering whether having all of the singers in one area might not work quite as well in a ground with as **** accousitcs as RH. And whether the atmosphere would be better served by those people taking the same attitude, but sitting all over the ground.

Just an idea.

I admire the effort from all of those involved with TBV, but wonder whether it may be doing more harm than good. In the past, even in the lower leagues, when something good happened, those people willing to sing and chant were dotted around the ground. This might mean the chanting was disorganised and brief, but it did mean there were people areas of the ground other than the North-West that wanted to sing.

As I said, this is no criticism of the ideals or efforts of TBV, I'm just wondering whether having all of the singers in one area might not work quite as well in a ground with as **** accousitcs as RH. And whether the atmosphere would be better served by those people taking the same attitude, but sitting all over the ground.

Just an idea.

Fair point.

But, there is only about 50 regulars in W Block anyway!

There must be more "singers" in other areas of the ground than that.

It's time they made themselves heard...

Fair point.

But, there is only about 50 regulars in W Block anyway!

There must be more "singers" in other areas of the ground than that.

It's time they made themselves heard...

Is that not a typo Smiffy? "Sniggers" surely...........

To be honest I bet it is the same in nearly every other league 2 ground. Havent been to many away games but even in league 1, most away ground the fans were crap and made much more noise at Roots Hall.
The standard of football is dross, very few players to get excited about,the ball is in the air about 70% of the time, no local rivalries, no big away followings.

Though I would say recently I think Moshni has been missed, he seems to get the crowd going. But we dont really have anyone who gets the crowd on their feet, we are a functional team rather than an attractive one. Plus, has been mentioned the acoustics at Roots Hall are generally terrible, even more pronounced when only half full.

To be honest I bet it is the same in nearly every other league 2 ground. Havent been to many away games but even in league 1, most away ground the fans were crap and made much more noise at Roots Hall.
The standard of football is dross, very few players to get excited about,the ball is in the air about 70% of the time, no local rivalries, no big away followings.

Though I would say recently I think Moshni has been missed, he seems to get the crowd going. But we dont really have anyone who gets the crowd on their feet, we are a functional team rather than an attractive one. Plus, has been mentioned the acoustics at Roots Hall are generally terrible, even more pronounced when only half full.

Yep. Hopefully the return of "Sawyer" will bring back that "get off your seat factor" though...

Sorry mate you could pick it up with both hands with super glue on them but it still wont make a difference!

we will never get an atmos like norwich,leeds,yeovil forest,chelsea,man u as our fans dont show unless its a big game or a worthy game.

Plus Roots hall is rubbish for making an atmos :(

Did you say Chelsea?
Anyway little song for Glenn Morris if anyways interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAbt-1J49E&feature=related
He dives to the left
He dives to the right ,
That Glenn Morris will save them all night.

His point might have more resonance if the attendance figures were so low. But the fact there's still 5,000 people prepared to pop along every game to pay their wages makes his argument a little shallow. Based on displays and results throughout 2010, the crowds should be much lower, and they are fortunate that the vast, vast majority are so tolerant.

Let the people who pay at the turnstiles decide how they wish to watch the game, be it vociferous support, or just interested spectator.

I have never been to Leeds so maybe I am talking out of back side and maybe their away support is different to home support but...... they fell from prem to 1st division, so to their fans the standard of football must have been dire . But I do know at roots hall even when they were loosing their support was brilliant.

Thats the whole point, it is easy to sing when you are playing great winning, its when we are crap that the singing is really needed

anyway Friday is going to be a great atmosphere , I genuinely beleive it

Sturrock thinks that probably because he has come to us at the wrong time. I know fans should stick through thick and thin but you have to look at everyone's view. Look at our support away at Doncaster in the play-offs, couple of seasons ago it was quality atmosphere home and away. This season's attendance at home has dropped to 4,900 :(
Why don't we all prove to Sturrock that we are loud and we can get behind the team big time. EVERYONE! The stadium can be rocking at times I love it. But I can see everyone's point it's understandable. I think the fans need to stop relying on the lads in West block and just everyone get singing and hyped up. Everyone is the blue voice, Southend till I die

I dont get to many games nowadays but I went to white hart lane recently on a corporate jolly & they do the "we're the west side, we're the west side. we're the west side of the lane" chant, which is immediately followed by the north, south & east stands repeating the same thing in turn. not only does it sound brilliant as it goes around the ground, it gets all sides of the ground involved. Maybe worth a try? If TBV in the west start it off, it just needs a few willing souls to join in on the other sides & it could grow. North might be a bit quiet unless the oppo join in..

I dont get to many games nowadays but I went to white hart lane recently on a corporate jolly & they do the "we're the west side, we're the west side. we're the west side of the lane" chant, which is immediately followed by the north, south & east stands repeating the same thing in turn. not only does it sound brilliant as it goes around the ground, it gets all sides of the ground involved. Maybe worth a try? If TBV in the west start it off, it just needs a few willing souls to join in on the other sides & it could grow. North might be a bit quiet unless the oppo join in..
Been done plenty of times at RH, but haven't heard it for a while (I ain't been to RH for a while)... would be good to give it a go.

Think he makes a reasonably valid point.

yes the standard of football isnt great, from us and the teams we've played against at home, but even when we were this rubbish last season and results were poor us regular attendees made more noise.

For me personally i've found it more and more difficult to get behind the team the longer the season has gone on, and as results have been getting worse at home so has the support.

I know its hard to tell people what to do, but maybe if we all make an effort Friday and Tuesday, it might make a difference to the performances - least then we can say that we tried!

and my guess is that White Hart Lane with 4,500 would sound ten times better than RH because the accoustics in the ground are fantastic.

His point might have more resonance if the attendance figures were so low. But the fact there's still 5,000 people prepared to pop along every game to pay their wages makes his argument a little shallow. Based on displays and results throughout 2010, the crowds should be much lower, and they are fortunate that the vast, vast majority are so tolerant.

His point wasn't that the crowds are down, it's that those who come are so quiet that any negativity from the minority is more audible than it would be at other Clubs. Surely that's undeniably the case and it's a point that's been made here often.

i agree but what can we do we have all said noise is down for a while but only tbv do anything about it :(

For me it's a double edged sword.

The atmosphere is pretty crap but then let's be honest so has the football and the form. Personally I don't seem to recall a problem when we were going well under Tilly at this level.

The past two seasons have been terrible at home I would be amazed if we have won even a quarter of our home games. Even the most ardent fan would struggle to have enjoyed the bulk of the home games. The side whilst workman like has no flair players baring Hall and even the top scorer in Corr who I do like a lot hardly scores sexy goals. There has been very little to cheer.

If PS puts a side out that entertains then the crowd will respond accordingly but at the moment it's hardly any wonder your floating singer isn't going wild is it?

Thought he made a pretty valid point on the quiet fans we have. He realises that our home form has been pretty poor, so the fans compensate by being less for us and more against us. However, lets take the Bristol City game, a crowd of only 2500 but the atmosphere was electric for the whole 120 minutes. Then lets take Crewe, a crowd of 4500 and almost stunned silence or vitriol. The atmoshere and the support of the fans really rallies when we are playing good entertaining football - that's Mr Sturrocks job - and although I can't take to the guy (but he is slowly growing on me) - it is getting better!

What he should have said was - our away support has been absolutely f*****g brilliant all season!!:loyalsupporter:

Personally i do sing , chant , applause + generally encourage every Blues player , in every game ..... but i would 100% prefer a "quiet" crowd rather than have a few more half wit tw+ts who turn up purely to slag our own players off . They are the vermin we have to stamp out of roots Hall -- not only do they make the atmosphere much worse with the negativity affecting players indivual performances , but they also keep good people away from supporting their club. I remember one particularly foul mouthed lout middle of the west a couple of years ago whose continous vile slagging off of certain players of ours reduced several children to tears , + prompted many of their parents to leave the ground , probably never to return to roots hall , instantly losing us more potential life long fans. It made me sick that day + sadly it seems to be deemed "acceptable" by some to copy this behaviour.
As Sturrock rightly said , if the majority of the crowd is singing + cheering on the team , those other brain dead morons will either be out sung + so not heard or better still keep their player slagging off to themselves

So on friday night lets get Roots Hall rocking in the right way + encourage all our lads to bring us that win. Which is what our true loyal away fans do + we can all see the results !!!!

:loyalsupporter:

Back