• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supermarkets

Food glorious food

• Total voters
Are there no clues though.....own brand packs of bacon, loo roll or jam or something else bought, or even carrier bags? Or evidence of loyalty card usage...tokens or something? I find it hard to believe you really have absolutely no idea!
Well its probably Asda, Tesco or Sainsburys. When the food arrives on the plate it doesn't have any packaging. As a rule I don't really cook anything myself.

Well its probably Asda, Tesco or Sainsburys. When the food arrives on the plate it doesn't have any packaging. As a rule I don't really cook anything myself.

Don't you ever got to cupboards to get things out though? I get that some men don't cook, but they usually get a jar of jam or new pack of teabags out or something?! Sorry if I'm being a bit intrusive, just find it very surprising that you don't know where she shops!

She doesn't tend to buy store brands so Weetabix and PG tips can all come from any of them.

Auchan and Intermache and lidl but believe it or not folks here in France shop online at Tescos and the like it get dropped off at a depot and brought out here the next day and all for 20 percent on top of the price of your shopping.

Lidl in France is great. Last time got big tin of confit de canard for less than five euros

Tesco. Tried Aldi a couple of times but still needed to go to Tesco as well. I hate supermarket shopping with a passion so having to go once is bad enough let alone twice :thumbdown: Trouble is I like to see what I'm buying so internet shopping is no good for me.

Trouble is I like to see what I'm buying so internet shopping is no good for me.

I love it, usually saves me money! Get to see all the special offers without having to look for them! Only thing I don't like is not seeing the reduced stuff which I often buy for the freezer.

I love it, usually saves me money! Get to see all the special offers without having to look for them! Only thing I don't like is not seeing the reduced stuff which I often buy for the freezer.

I think it also saves you money in that you only buy what you need and don't pick up half the items on display because you "forgot" you needed them.

I think it also saves you money in that you only buy what you need and don't pick up half the items on display because you "forgot" you needed them.

There is, of course, the route 1 approach that has to be rigidly applied when we both go to Tesco.

• Go straight to the shelves which have the items you want on your list.
  • Select items, put in trolley, move on to next item on list and so on.
  • Make sure you are armed with the scanner gun, keeping an eye on the rolling cost and using it as an imaginary laser pistol against annoying kids and other mutants who get in your way.

It's a brilliant theory for saving time and money, and has never once worked for me as there are some who are more equal than others in our marriage, and it ain't me it seems!!

There is, of course, the route 1 approach that has to be rigidly applied when we both go to Tesco.

• Go straight to the shelves which have the items you want on your list.
  • Select items, put in trolley, move on to next item on list and so on.
  • Make sure you are armed with the scanner gun, keeping an eye on the rolling cost and using it as an imaginary laser pistol against annoying kids and other mutants who get in your way.

It's a brilliant theory for saving time and money, and has never once worked for me as there are some who are more equal than others in our marriage, and it ain't me it seems!!

Same here. Which is why I "allow" my wife to shop on line.

Us poor people in S woodham ferrers have only ASDA (apart from a couple of small ones)

That supermarket makes a fortune and it is not well run at all.

Love an ALDI or LIDAL to start up here (sainburys were but not sure now a bit like roots hall rebuild etc)

Not much discussion on this thread?
Roots Hall market has a couple of very good fruit and veg stalls, real good stuff and very well priced; as does Rochford market. For meat I try and use either Marsh's at Gt Wakering or the Scots place in North Road.
The big multi nationals are ruining High Streets and Indy traders and turning many farmers into slaves with their control on pricing and contracts AS well as causing huge waste by the obsession with shape/size/colour etc of individual produce.
I would rather pay less BUT I am also happy to pay more if it helps small traders.
Shop around folks - you might find it rewarding financially and altruistically/socially.

Not much discussion on this thread?
Roots Hall market has a couple of very good fruit and veg stalls, real good stuff and very well priced; as does Rochford market. For meat I try and use either Marsh's at Gt Wakering or the Scots place in North Road.
The big multi nationals are ruining High Streets and Indy traders and turning many farmers into slaves with their control on pricing and contracts AS well as causing huge waste by the obsession with shape/size/colour etc of individual produce.
I would rather pay less BUT I am also happy to pay more if it helps small traders.
Shop around folks - you might find it rewarding financially and altruistically/socially.

I generally find that stuff bought from independent and local shops generally taste better because they aren't forced ir farmed, like a lot of supermarket produce. Byfords in Rayleigh is an excellent butchers, and yes, you may pay a little more, but the quality is obvious.

I like those market traders that get on the mic and whip the crowd into a frenzy before knocking out a load of dodgy freezer packs.

Aldi all the way - it's like half the price of a Tesco shop and the quality is about the same imo.

The only thing I don't really like is how quickly they scan the items, they go at 100 mph!

I have to walk past Tesco twice a day so I pop in there if I need anything but I do my weekly shop in Marks & Spencers.

Brought a huge joint of beef from Smithfields Market on Saturday. Possibly the best I have ever tasted. Now requesting Farringdon work so can shop there for all my dead animal needs, of which there will be many.

Brought a huge joint of beef from Smithfields Market on Saturday. Possibly the best I have ever tasted. Now requesting Farringdon work so can shop there for all my dead animal needs, of which there will be many.

Yep, my meat from Smithfields also - we do a run from work once a month. Once you've eaten their meat you don't go to Tesco anymore.

Back