• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Ian Benjamin one of the greatest 12 players in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So whats the deal - we arent voting anyone else in until Paul Clark gets voted in?

Criteria needs to change, at the moment it's still the top 12 and no way is Benji one of the top 12.

The criteria is top 12-ish. It's a soft-cap figure, rather than a hard limit.

I'm a little surprised that you say he's no way one of the top 12. He was probably the most influential player in our most important side. For the best part of the three seasons he was here he was more influential than two current and one future hall of famer (Powell, Prior and Tilson). He might not in the final analysis be top 12, but I'd suggest he would certainly be in that conversation.

It should be a top 16 . 11 players and 5 subs.

I voted for benji even though i didnt have the pleasure of watching him as i didnt start supporting blues till roughly a year later, but i no what that goal meant to the club and to the fans and i know how highly thought of benji was.

I still think ricky otto should be atleast on the subs bench. Was the best winger i have seen for the club and scoring 15 in a season from midfield in whats now the championship shows that fact.

Interesting fact about Benji. In the 1992/3 season, when Collymore was top scorer, Benji was second top scorer, despite leaving the club in November.

Plenty of memories on that day. Apart from Benjy's historic goal, we had police horses in the terraces behind the goal where we were. Incredible when you think there were only Southend fans there celebrating so don't understand why they needed the police. A bloke I was standing with had his son with him and amazingly got arrested for doing nothing. I had to go back to Bury weeks later as a defence witness. He got off. Fantastic day though for everyone associated with the Blues.

Plenty of memories on that day. Apart from Benjy's historic goal, we had police horses in the terraces behind the goal where we were. Incredible when you think there were only Southend fans there celebrating so don't understand why they needed the police. A bloke I was standing with had his son with him and amazingly got arrested for doing nothing. I had to go back to Bury weeks later as a defence witness. He got off. Fantastic day though for everyone associated with the Blues.

Remember that it was disgraceful wasn't he arrested and his son was left on his own crying his eyes out and the policeman hit him or said something nasty to the poor boy. it certainly left a very sour taste on what was at the time the greatest day in the clubs history.

Voted yes to Benji as he was a cult hero but as others have said if paul Clark isn't in no one else should be in the HOF.

'Who put the ball in the Bury net Ian benjiman who put the ball in the Bury net Ian benjiman'

Remember that it was disgraceful wasn't he arrested and his son was left on his own crying his eyes out and the policeman hit him or said something nasty to the poor boy. it certainly left a very sour taste on what was at the time the greatest day in the clubs history.

Voted yes to Benji as he was a cult hero but as others have said if paul Clark isn't in no one else should be in the HOF.

'Who put the ball in the Bury net Ian benjiman who put the ball in the Bury net Ian benjiman'

Yes, that's the bloke. He was wearing a long white coat and the police picked him out for arrest for what must have been mistaken identity. We were standing by a metal stancheon on the terrace just enjoying the occasion. His son was naturally distraught at seeing his dad being taken away. No-one who was there will ever forget the 'Benjy' song!

Back