• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Teacher Jobs - Not having much luck at the mo :(

Do they engage it more complex IT projects in primary schools then????

;)

Oh yes, more complex stuff than the DiDA, CiDA and AiDA courses they do in Secondary ones :p

We just had to get some work experience in those schools, as obviously, we'd be dealing with students who come from Primary schools :p :D

Haven't read through all of these posts so sorry if I repeat...

It's very early to be worried, loads of jobs won't come up until Easter time anyway. I am still signed up to TES job alert, but not all jobs going in there. You get emails on a Friday and it's always interesting to see what I could be offered elsewhere!

You could also contact County who may have some idea of where peeps my be retiring, long term cover etc. You will need to find the right person and get them on the right day though!

Keep an eye on local papers (cheap for schools to advertise in) and take out a TES subscription. It starts getting very heavy around Easter time....

DOn't fret though, you'll end up with a job :) There's a shortage of us all round the secondray sector!

Good luck :)

Feel free to email or PM with any other questions

Unfortunately, I think you might have chosen the wrong course! (I guess you're doing a PGCE?) Obviously it's not a bad course, but trainee teachers seem to have more success if they do the GTP (which is what I'll be doing when I leave uni). That's the one where you learn on the job and get assessed in the classroom and get qualified teacher status after a year. You don't get a full timetable, so when you're not teaching, you're sitting down with your appointed mentor learning some stuff about lesson planning and pupil management etc. Schools love to take on GTP trainees because they're getting a member of staff for whatever subject it is you're doing, and they get to pay you a stupidly low wage - as an unqualified teacher teaching and learning on the job you get around 15-16k per year). In my last 3 years at Westcliff High for Boys, they took on a dozen GTP trainee teachers, some of which taught me, and they were really good, knew their stuff and if you didn't know better, you'd seriously think that they were fully qualified members of staff. I'm in with the Headmaster and 2 of former GTP teachers who stayed on at WHSB after their years ended, so that's the first place I'll be looking for a GTP spot.

Don't feel pressured into taking any old job. if it takes time, it takes time. You really don't want to end up in some ****ty school in the ****-end of some ****ty town where all you'll be doing is babysitting. I had a friend who taught for a year at Shoebury High who told me that a successful day for her at school was getting everyone to put their chairs down and stop shouting. If you take a job in a place like that, your life will be made a misery, you'll go off the profession forever and all the money you spent on the degree and the training will be down the toilet.

Unfortunately, I think you might have chosen the wrong course! (I guess you're doing a PGCE?) Obviously it's not a bad course, but trainee teachers seem to have more success if they do the GTP (which is what I'll be doing when I leave uni). That's the one where you learn on the job and get assessed in the classroom and get qualified teacher status after a year. You don't get a full timetable, so when you're not teaching, you're sitting down with your appointed mentor learning some stuff about lesson planning and pupil management etc. Schools love to take on GTP trainees because they're getting a member of staff for whatever subject it is you're doing, and they get to pay you a stupidly low wage - as an unqualified teacher teaching and learning on the job you get 17-19k per year). In my last 3 years at Westcliff High for Boys, they took on a dozen GTP trainee teachers, some of which taught me, and they were really good, knew their stuff and if you didn't know better, you'd seriously think that they were fully qualified members of staff. I'm in with the Headmaster and 2 of former GTP teachers who stayed on at WHSB after their years ended, so that's the first place I'll be looking for a GTP spot.

Don't feel pressured into taking any old job. if it takes time, it takes time. You really don't want to end up in some ****ty school in the ****-end of some ****ty town where all you'll be doing is babysitting. I had a friend who taught for a year at Shoebury High who told me that a successful day for her at school was getting everyone to put their chairs down and stop shouting. If you take a job in a place like that, your life will be made a misery, you'll go off the profession forever and all the money you spent on the degree and the training will be down the toilet.

I think thats what she is doing at the moment

I think thats what she is doing at the moment

Ah, ok. If thats true then I misread it.....my bad :) Still though, if you do the Graduate Teacher Programme, you become a member of staff of the school you're learning on the job at, and unless you resign, you shouldn't have to look for a new job :confused:

There are some dangers to GTP. I have heard some real horror stories, some from local schools so I won't digress too many details. Students being given no support, told to just 'get on with it' and so on. You can get very good schools and very good mentors... but I'd still recommend the PGCE. You also get the PGCE a formal teaching qualification held in high regard around the world as opposed to 'I learnt on the job mate' ;) Depends on circumstances, but I also got to be a semi-student for a 4th year and on PGCE for the first term at least I got away with still hitting Ballare and Life on weeknights....

It's better than the one i'm at now, as it's a lot smaller, all the teachers are actually helpful and polite, and the kids dont have as much issues as they do in Basildon (apart from not knowing who is really their parents etc :D)

You still in Cheltenham then, Alexis? Has Cheltenham Kingsmead been in the news recently there?![/QUOTE]

Yep I'm still in Cheltenham but I don't have a clue what you mean by Cheltenham Kingsmead though, the only thing most people have been talking about is the dead body found in FCH a few weeks back, apart from that nothing else is very newsworthy.

Oh and Kev, theres nothing right with Shoebury either!

There are some dangers to GTP. I have heard some real horror stories, some from local schools so I won't digress too many details. Students being given no support, told to just 'get on with it' and so on. You can get very good schools and very good mentors... but I'd still recommend the PGCE. You also get the PGCE a formal teaching qualification held in high regard around the world as opposed to 'I learnt on the job mate' ;) Depends on circumstances, but I also got to be a semi-student for a 4th year and on PGCE for the first term at least I got away with still hitting Ballare and Life on weeknights....

Good points.....but I've had the GTP really strongly recommended to me too, so I don't know. Looks like it'll be a tough decision. Although the trainee who recommended it to me did his at Westcliff and stayed on as a teacher there after the GTP had finished, so maybe he had it easy? I might be able to get in at Westcliff as I'm on good terms with the Head, and this trainee, who actually taught me A Level English, would put in a good word for me.

I always thought, although I'm sure the PGCE has a great worldwide reputation, that as long as you had QTS, it didn't really matter what course you did. I plan on living and teaching in Sweden for a few years, would it be detrimental to those plans to do a GTP rather than a PGCE?

It's better than the one i'm at now, as it's a lot smaller, all the teachers are actually helpful and polite, and the kids dont have as much issues as they do in Basildon (apart from not knowing who is really their parents etc :D)

You still in Cheltenham then, Alexis? Has Cheltenham Kingsmead been in the news recently there?![/QUOTE]

Yep I'm still in Cheltenham but I don't have a clue what you mean by Cheltenham Kingsmead though, the only thing most people have been talking about is the dead body found in FCH a few weeks back, apart from that nothing else is very newsworthy.

Oh and Kev, theres nothing right with Shoebury either!

Cheltenham Kinsgmead is a school that I worked at in the Springfield area of town. Near to where the big Sainsbury's is.

Good points.....but I've had the GTP really strongly recommended to me too, so I don't know. Looks like it'll be a tough decision. Although the trainee who recommended it to me did his at Westcliff and stayed on as a teacher there after the GTP had finished, so maybe he had it easy? I might be able to get in at Westcliff as I'm on good terms with the Head, and this trainee, who actually taught me A Level English, would put in a good word for me.

I always thought, although I'm sure the PGCE has a great worldwide reputation, that as long as you had QTS, it didn't really matter what course you did. I plan on living and teaching in Sweden for a few years, would it be detrimental to those plans to do a GTP rather than a PGCE?

I'm doing a PGCE in ICT. Have a Joint Degree in IT and Physical Geography, so can teach a bit of the latter as well, but it can't be my main subject, as i'm not training in it. But i've heard that Geography these days is more focused on the Human side to it, which i'm not exactly a massive fan of.

I'm doing a PGCE in ICT. Have a Joint Degree in IT and Physical Geography, so can teach a bit of the latter as well, but it can't be my main subject, as i'm not training in it. But i've heard that Geography these days is more focused on the Human side to it, which i'm not exactly a massive fan of.

That cos they dont let you teach the correct use of:

ZIP IT and SHURRRRRUP

:rolleyes:

Back