• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thank you Phil Brown for giving it a go

No manager in the world could turn this bunch around they said , there’s no manager that could get this bunch scoring ......well had we acted sooner when it was clear to see that MM was out of his depth we wouldn’t be sitting here mourning our league status .
thanks for the big effort Phil

Listening to Phil Brown on BBC Essex although he said he would be interested he hinted that it would depend on the budget.

I’m very conflicted on Phil.

His first spell? Some of my best memories as a Shrimper. Built a superb team of players outperforming their abilities as a unit, all we could ever dream of. But the end of that spell was arguably the start of the spiral that sent us to where we are now. The contracts he gave out alongside Ron, breaking the dressing room with Ranger, etc. all while publicly courting any job going make it hard to look back on his spell as well as I’d like to.

Now? He’s made an impact, improved us all over the park and if he’d been here a month earlier, I think we’d have a chance of staying up.

Next season? Focusing purely on next season alone, I can’t imagine we’d find a better candidate.

Long-term? Is he the man to be here for 4/5 years and to rebuild? He clearly loves the club, is happy in the area, etc. but the last thing we need is for him to leave us in the lurch because another offer comes in. I’d trust him to give us a good crack of the whip next season and try to get things going, but this is a long-term project to reset the squad and start from scratch and he’d need to commit accordingly.
H isnt the long term thats for sure but with Fagan as his assistant he could mover aside and let him take over

I’m very conflicted on Phil.

His first spell? Some of my best memories as a Shrimper. Built a superb team of players outperforming their abilities as a unit, all we could ever dream of. But the end of that spell was arguably the start of the spiral that sent us to where we are now. The contracts he gave out alongside Ron, breaking the dressing room with Ranger, etc. all while publicly courting any job going make it hard to look back on his spell as well as I’d like to.

Now? He’s made an impact, improved us all over the park and if he’d been here a month earlier, I think we’d have a chance of staying up.

Next season? Focusing purely on next season alone, I can’t imagine we’d find a better candidate.

Long-term? Is he the man to be here for 4/5 years and to rebuild? He clearly loves the club, is happy in the area, etc. but the last thing we need is for him to leave us in the lurch because another offer comes in. I’d trust him to give us a good crack of the whip next season and try to get things going, but this is a long-term project to reset the squad and start from scratch and he’d need to commit accordingly.

Your right of course, but i dont there is such a thing as "long term" in management anymore, unless you get promoted your first season.

I think the most important action that should be taken in the next week is getting Phil Brown signed up as manager next season, also keeping Craig Fagan and Ricky Duncan heavily involved. I think the three of them are a good combination. To me this is more important than the mythical CEO. Since Phil left we’ve had some terrible managers, putting teams out that don’t give 100% effort, look unfit, terrible signings and ludicrous tactics such as trying to play football out from the back with players who clearly aren’t capable. It’s refreshing but frustrating to finally see the team playing like a proper lower league team, with the right level of work rate and organisation, too little too late. Finishing 22nd should have been achievable this season, if we had Phil Brown or someone in the Sturrock mould for the entirety of it I’m confident we would have stayed up.

That’s two seasons running now we’ve started very badly and found there’s too much ground to make up. This CANNOT happen again. We need a good pre season and for players to return fit, focused and most of all wanting to play for Southend United. No excuses.

PB will already know which players he wants to keep, what he needs and we know he can organise a team and make them hard to beat. It’s a gamble but so was Molesley. Personally I don’t care who’s to blame for the shambles it just needs to end and starting now, planning for next season.

I think Phil brown would have kept so up. If given job 10 games earlier. But unless we get a striker who can score 15 to 20 goals we won't get out of NL. I would look now to boost squad not in august

I can image we would bring 2k to away games around M25 area easily. Just image we bring 2k to Wealdstone, we could give Wealdstone Raiders some stick with our chants “we have more fans than you, do you want some?!”

He will be the biggest name manager in the national league and southend one of 3 biggest clubs!! Let phil bring in the right players and release all the Sh.t!! Ones from this season.we should be winning the national league at the first time of asking! Ron will get a ceo and I'm sure he will invest!

He will be the biggest name manager in the national league and southend one of 3 biggest clubs!! Let phil bring in the right players and release all the Sh.t!! Ones from this season.we should be winning the national league at the first time of asking! Ron will get a ceo and I'm sure he will invest!
I think you underestimate how tough the National League is. It’s an incredible hard league to get promoted from. All this nonsense about being a big club etc has little relevance and certainly doesn’t give any right to be successful in, There are numerous well funded and ambitious clubs in it, and it is littered with former League clubs.

Surely you don’t actually believe that the size of the club carries any relevance when it comes to winning the league? Size doesn’t guarantee success in any league, but especially not in the NL with only one automatic promotion spot. Otherwise Wrexham wouldn’t have been stuck in the NL for over a decade, and Notts County wouldn’t be below Torquay, Sutton, Halifax, Eastleigh, and Bromley in the table.

I'm not a PB fan by any means - but he came back and gave it a go, so I hope he stays next season - although if he does i'm sure he'll end up doing my head (yes even if we're top of the league) :-)

No manager in the world could turn this bunch around they said , there’s no manager that could get this bunch scoring ......well had we acted sooner when it was clear to see that MM was out of his depth we wouldn’t be sitting here mourning our league status .
thanks for the big effort Phil
I couldn’t agree more. Spot on for my money.??

Surely you don’t actually believe that the size of the club carries any relevance when it comes to winning the league? Size doesn’t guarantee success in any league, but especially not in the NL with only one automatic promotion spot. Otherwise Wrexham wouldn’t have been stuck in the NL for over a decade, and Notts County wouldn’t be below Torquay, Sutton, Halifax, Eastleigh, and Bromley in the table.

Cheltenham went up with a record 105 points at the first time of asking!! They are a small club and done well!! Now the likes of notts county,barnet,Chesterfield have obviously not invested or been backed by the chairmen because let's be honest! Notts county would or should have been promoted by now! Wrexham have had investment from Reynolds but not really sure how much?but they have knocked on the door for a while now! We will keep the likes of egbri,rush,clifford and all the rest will go as they arent good enough! We will be feared in the national league and a scalp every week!! I firmly believe we have a great chance at being promoted at the first time of asking.

Back