• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rigsby

Life President⭐
To save hi-jacking the Brexit thread I thought people might like to explain who they first voted for and why. Lets keep it to your personal reasons so no need to repeat to many grand and well covered anti Thatcher rants etc.

I had left school in 1981 so my first vote was for Labour in 1983. If any of you left school around that era you will remember how hard it was to get an apprenticeship, or even a basic job. Something that had never been a problem since the 30's, which came as a shock to a lot of my generation. Still annoys me when I hear endless sympathy for the Miners or the Car industry etc. What about us working class Essex Boys....We also paid the price for those endless strikes and industrial action by political motivated Northern Monkeys.

I knew Michael Foot wouldn't win, mainly because after the Falklands victory Maggie went from guaranteed to lose to a guaranteed victory. Something that other world leaders have since learnt from and used fake wars to their advantage.

The first election I was able to vote in was in '79 and though I was still living in Southend, I voted for Labour. Bit of a wasted vote in Southend (West) but I simply didn't like what I thought the Tories were about, i.e. the preservation of their elite and self-interest. It was a bit more black and white back then. Though you could argue equally that not much has changed.

Left school in 1982 but buggered if I can remember when I first voted. It was tory though and probably something to do with that image of Foot at the Cenetph.

Labour in 1970 when I was still in the sixth form at WHS, (the voting age had just been lowered to 18).Didn't like Ted Heath or anything the Tories stood for.Been a life long Labour voter ever since, except in 1997,when I used my last proxy vote for the LIB/Dems as I couldn't stomach Tony Blair.

1992 my first GE I voted Kinnock and was very sad I didn't have the chance to vote for John Smith after that. Then voted Blair in 1997 and 2001 when living in Kingston, then voted tactically for LibDems in 2005 and 2010 in Carshalton but after my anti-Tory voted enabled a Tory government I vowed never to vote tactically again - the crashing of the LibDem vote in 2015 showed I think just how many people were voting against something rather than for something. Voted Labour in 2015 and 2017.

1992 my first GE I voted Kinnock and was very sad I didn't have the chance to vote for John Smith after that. Then voted Blair in 1997 and 2001 when living in Kingston, then voted tactically for LibDems in 2005 and 2010 in Carshalton but after my anti-Tory voted enabled a Tory government I vowed never to vote tactically again - the crashing of the LibDem vote in 2015 showed I think just how many people were voting against something rather than for something. Voted Labour in 2015 and 2017.

John Smith could have been the game changer.

Lib Dems, Reading East, in the 1997 GE.

The Conservatives were clearly on their way out and I found the Labour candidate (who won) a little uninspiring so my X went against some chap called Sam Samuel (had to look that bit up).

Labour in 1970 when I was still in the sixth form at WHS, (the voting age had just been lowered to 18).Didn't like Ted Heath or anything the Tories stood for.Been a life long Labour voter ever since, except in 1997,when I used my last proxy vote for the LIB/Dems as I couldn't stomach Tony Blair.

Even then, Barna Blue got it wrong again.

Back