• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Ashes

Bloody hell. Bell out now.

McGrath 7.3-3-7-4

We really need to get GBH to break his figures, not to dismiss him.

Again, England's good work with the ball has been let down by the batting. Very frustating to watch, is it fantastic bowling (Mainly by McGrath) or dreadful batting?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 21 2005,11:53)]Woohoo!!

Good God, what the heck is happening out there! We're actually not getting battered in a Lord's Ashes Test (yet!!)!

biggrin.gif
You and your big mouth.

At one stage this afternoon I was frantically scouring the web for our lowest ever Ashes score (45). In my lifetime we've had a 77 and a 79 (last series in fact)

Well, at least we seem to have picked up a tiny bit this morning, as I speak we're 146-9, but only because of a shocking umpiring decision, can't remember which Jones it was but one of them should have been stumped, he clearly did not have his bat over the line.
Not that I'm complaining though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 22 2005,11:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 22 2005,11:31)]This isn't likely to go beyond 3 days.
*sob*

Guess who's got tickets for Sunday...

down.gif
The forecast is for rain on Sunday. Your best bet is for us to be 232-9 chasing 233 to win, and Sunday to be completely rained off. Full refund, and then Harmison edges McGrath through the slips for a single at 10.31 on Monday morning.

18/1... Langer run out by Pietersen. KP is having an awesome Test debut.

biggrin.gif

The urge to say "told you so" is proving all but irresistible...!!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 22 2005,12:05)]18/1... Langer run out by Pietersen.  KP is having an awesome Test debut.

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
Why? Who doubted he would make an impact?

I don't think anyone questions his ability - the only question mark was whether you leave at Thorpe, bearing in mind his remarkable record against Australia, and his reliability in a crisis. Bell was a given following his runs against Bangladesh. There would have been no justification to leave him out, having been piked to play against Bangla ahead of Pietersen, and he came up with the runs.

Following yesterday's demise to 21-5 a swift recall for Thorpe could be in the offing. It may also be as an extra batsman, if we can rely on Flintoff's body putting in the overs.

Anyway, another couple out before lunch would be good. Get Jones on for Hoggard I think.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 22 2005,12:10)]Following yesterday's demise to 21-5 a swift recall for Thorpe could be in the offing.
Nope - because Thorpe has retired from Test cricket with immediate effect. A shame - not an ideal send off for him; but perhaps one befitting of one of England's perenially tortured souls...

oops.gif
sad.gif

Matt

I cant see us chasing 250/300 to win really (which i'd imagine will be the target at the end of the day) and then we will be bowled out on Day 3 and MtS wont be a happy bunny ...

wow.gif
tounge.gif

I went yesterday. It was my first test match and boy what a test match. Had some great banter with the Aussies around us all day.

Too much happened to write about it all and I'm still hungover to type the tapping is hurting my head. But at points yesterday it was as good as the playoff final. Unbelievable atmosphere. Fantastic day.

Mts - tickets for Sunday?! We were were contemplating getting the aussies in to bat again when McGrath was skittling us over. Maybe even calling for the extra half hour in case we bowled them out for a second time and we needed to bat again!

It'll all be over on Saturday weather permitting. The pitch it too poor and the bowlers too good for it to last longer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 22 2005,12:18)]Nope - because Thorpe has retired from Test cricket with immediate effect.  A shame - not an ideal send off for him; but perhaps one befitting of one of England's perenially tortured souls...

oops.gif

sad.gif

Matt
Bugger, I missed that. Haven't see a paper for the last couple of days.

Too many easy runs coming from Hoggard and Flintoff - that is criminal in a low-scoring match. Harmison doing the business from the other end. Jones needs to keep him company.

Yeah, its a shame Thorpe has retired, because if there is one situation he thrives at more than being 18-3, its in a 4th innings run chase.

If England have to chase 220+ to win as looks likely, I can honestly say that my first choice middle order batsman to do it would be Graham Thorpe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 22 2005,12:05)]18/1... Langer run out by Pietersen.  KP is having an awesome Test debut.

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
Pietersen did drop a couple yesterday, one was really hard, but the second regulation at test level.

However he is breath of fresh air and is the future, so i do not wish to sound churlish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 22 2005,13:38)]
[b said:

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
Pietersen did drop a couple yesterday, one was really hard, but the second regulation at test level.

However he is breath of fresh air and is the future, so i do not wish to sound churlish.
I'll sound churlish - you can't afford to drop 3 catches against the Aussies in a low scoring game.

He's apparently dropped Clarke just before lunch off Jones.

Back