• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite Sc-fi Film

• Total voters
I quite liked Revenge of the Sith. Other ones for discussion are:

2001: A Space Odyssey
V for Vendetta
1 The Day the Earth Stood Still
Twelve Monkeys
Planet of the Apes
Serenity

I quite liked Revenge of the Sith. Other ones for discussion are:

2001: A Space Odyssey
V for Vendetta
1 The Day the Earth Stood Still
Twelve Monkeys
Planet of the Apes
Serenity

2001 I found a bit boring. 2010 is seriously underrated IMHO.
V? Not sure you can classify that as Sci Fi.
TDTESS: Indeed, cracking film.
POTA: Original, absolutely yes!. Burton's remake was dreadful.

Empire Strikes Back for me.

Closely followed by the Eddie Izzard/Lego Death Star canteen sketch posted on here a few weeks ago.

That's 'cos they're pretty rubbish except for the one with the Borg which was a bit Alien-esque.

See, now you've lost me

whoosh.gif

Never actually seen

The day the earth stood still (is that a 50-60's movie?)
Or serenity

I am totally with people on Blade Runner though awsome film with great twist.

I also liked to the fifth element but other people think its rubbish.

No one mention the superman films with Christopher Reeve yet. The big man may be gone be he left a legacy.

Star Wars 4, 5 & 6 (3 was good though)

The Fifth Element
V for Vendetta & Brazil (both very 1984-esque)

I have gone for Star Wars as 4, 5 & 6 really played a massive part of my childhood. However as a complete series I would have to chose Back to the Future as each one I enjoyed. Whereas 1, 2 & 3 of Star Wars were a let down. :(

It's more a dystopian view of the world really.

Both are visions of the future involving at some level scientific advances so I think they are.

I'm not saying all sci-fi films have to be set in the future, or involve science. But nor do they have to involve aliens or outer space. They can just be slightly different from our present world.

Saw Blade Runner for the 2nd time 3 weeks ago, was 25 before i saw it the first time. It bored me rigid!

Saw ET only recently too for the first time and I enjoyed that, thought it was good.

Quite like mad max aswell .

And going to be contraversial and say the postman with kevin costner is a very well thought out film indeed

It's more a dystopian view of the world really.

So would you regard that as speculative fiction?

One dictionary definition of science fiction is:
A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

The AFI define Science Fiction as:
A genre that marries a scientific or technological premise with imaginative speculation. Whether it's a flying saucer whirling through space or a gleaming city on a distant planet, at the core of all science fiction is the provocative question, "What if...?" Science fiction presents stories and situations that tap our brightest hopes and darkest fears about what might, one day, turn out to be true.

Certainly a dystopian world view would seem to fit in with those definitions. I think we try to pigeon-hole films a little too precisely at times - it is possible for a film (or work of literature) to span genres comfortably. Blade Runner for example is a fantastic example of film-noir as well as being 'science-fiction'...

Back