• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite Sc-fi Film

• Total voters
I love the Star Wars films a lot due to my youth, but for pure Sci-Fi amazingness, the first 2 Alien flicks (and to a lesser extent themes and ideas in 3) are standout gold. Creepy, brilliantly designed, depicting a distopian dirty future no other sci-fi films had dared to, brilliantly acted and genuinely original from start to finish.

Blade runner is close too, for all the reasons listed above, and The Matrix was also good entertainment, but relied too much on Ghost in the Shell to do its hard work for it in my opinion. I'd second someones shout of Westworld (scared the crap out of me as a kid, as did Invasion of the Bodysnatchers) and throw in the arena Tron...

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND...Has to be Stevie Speilberg's second offering,the first being Jaws,that had us all open-mouthed and gasping way back in '77.
I can remember being a 10-yr old on holiday with my sisters and parents in Wales (of all places after the supposed sightings this week).We all sat in a TINY cinema,holding no more than 100 people,but suprisingly no queue for a ticket on the door -seeing as this was THE must-see film of it's time.
Massive crowds at the local flicks in Chelmsford and Southend trying to gain entry for this one before we left for our fortnight vacation,gotta hand it to the folks,they knew how desparate us kids wanted to see Close Encounters and they sure as hell delivered!

Sure enough,the Richard Dreyfuss -led pic certainly had us on the edge of our seats,especially the point where the little boy was being prised by the aliens into the mother-ship as mum desperately slammed shut doors and hatches in the house in a valiant attempt to stop him being taken in by the "light".

But for those who have witnessed this film,who can forget to this very day the 5 -note song,you're probably humming it to yourselves right now!!

Massive flick,decent storyline,film locations all over the world (as far away as India) and scenes from which were to be shown again in ET years later.

I still tingle...

Back