• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The biggest weekend we've had since goodness knows when

bishmania

First XI
OK guys, there's no escaping it the situation is dire,

Not a full squad, one win in 9/10, an injury list longer than my shopping list, several key positions unfilled, a manager looking under severe pressure.

But let's be honest, we'd all have probably half-expected a 2-0 defeat at Leeds at the start of the season (it is actually an improvement on last year when we lost 4-1!!!) and it was a pretty decent performance (bar a horror opening 10) by most accounts.

I don't think Tilly will walk away before Saturday (I doubt if he would at all, he's Southend through and through after all), I don't think he'll be sacked before Saturday and I still believe we can turn this around.

However, this weekend will make or break my optimism and quite possibly our entire season (I'm an even bigger optimist than SZ's Richard Cadette!!!!).

First, we have a massive game against Bristol Rovers, then the transfer window shuts.

If this weekend goes well then the catalyst is there to stay up.

If it doesn't then I fear even I the biggest optimist may finally be broken and that five years of hard work will have gone to waste - that makes this weekend bigger than any in our promotion winning seasons, any Man Utd or Chelsea cup game, any local derby with Col U we've ever had.

I don't know how it's going to go, but if this does happen to be Tilly's last hurrah/last chance/last whatever you want to call it then after all he's done for us doesn't he deserve a bumper crowd to be there, united behind him (remember he loves this club so this will be hurting him as much if not more as all of us put together on here) and more importantly behind Southend United Football Club on Saturday?

Doesn't every player on that pitch need the backing of every Southend United fan, to show that even though things aren't as rosy as they have been in recent years we as the best supporters of the greatest football club in all of Essex, nay all of the Great British Isles and possibly even the world are behind them every step of the way, in victory or in defeat?

I implore you to drag every Southend following friend you have to the Hall on Saturday to sing their hearts out for the team (sod the rubbish half time/full time booing - that doesn't help anyone) and show that SUFC will be our number one whatever league they're in, no matter how they're playing.

I know where I'll be and I know what I'll be singing.

"I'm Southend till I die, I'm Southend till I die, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Southend till I die"

... Borning, same post as most "rally calls" on here.

Completely agree. I have got a feeling that should we not win, Tilson may walk.

... Borning, same post as most "rally calls" on here.

The thing is J, if there ever has been a time to get behind the team, the Bristol Rovers match is it,

Sod the other rallying calls - if this weekend goes badly we are well and truly in the s***,

I respect you looking for answers on the other thread (re: Foran, etc..) but these are things that haven't been answered for months and are never going to be publicly (at least until a time comes when RF does part with this club!) and we'll have to trust the rumours we heard or what Tilly/Ron has said and support the team through this difficult patch.

IMO they should also be put aside to after the weekend, we still have time (though little of it) to pull three or four gem signings out of the bag as the window action all happens on the last day.

let's judge signings on Feb 2.

If we lose to Bristol and we don't have not enough players in, I will join you in asking those questions, but for now we need to keep the faith.

UTB

Oh yes,when that 11 guys walk out on the greenstuff of dreams,we really need to be right behind them if we wan't to have a hope of staying in this league.
A bumper crowd would be awesome.We need all the exiles over for this one as you're right,it's so important.
We're not a bad side remember! They have got balls and staying power (remember Orient,Chelsea and Northampton).
It's far from too late to recover.

What would scummy Orient fans give to be in our position??

C'mon SUPPORTERS.
Help our kids out from the stands.Moan at Drizzle Rovers and the ref,put the pressure on THEM.

The thing is J, if there ever has been a time to get behind the team, the Bristol Rovers match is it,

Sod the other rallying calls - if this weekend goes badly we are well and truly in the s***,

I respect you looking for answers on the other thread (re: Foran, etc..) but these are things that haven't been answered for months and are never going to be publicly (at least until a time comes when RF does part with this club!) and we'll have to trust the rumours we heard or what Tilly/Ron has said and support the team through this difficult patch.

IMO they should also be put aside to after the weekend, we still have time (though little of it) to pull three or four gem signings out of the bag as the window action all happens on the last day.

let's judge signings on Feb 2.

If we lose to Bristol and we don't have not enough players in, I will join you in asking those questions, but for now we need to keep the faith.

UTB

It's hard to keep the faith, in constant lack lustre performance, by uninspiring leadership from the Chairman, and some of the worst tatical decisions ever seen by a manager!! I understand your post, but how much longer can we rely on this "Oh well, let's crack on, the next game is the one.." Because, when we get to game number 45, and the next one could decide our League 1 status, it could be too late.

It's hard to keep the faith, in constant lack lustre performance, by uninspiring leadership from the Chairman, and some of the worst tatical decisions ever seen by a manager!! I understand your post, but how much longer can we rely on this "Oh well, let's crack on, the next game is the one.." Because, when we get to game number 45, and the next one could decide our League 1 status, it could be too late.

I bet Ron does phone you tomorrow! You know what he's like!

But yes,there's no denying the fact that we are on a **** run at the mo and questions will be asked by those that give a damn.And there's plenty of people like that at this club.

But Tilson's right also,with suspensions and a massive injury list with some long termers it doesn't make the task any easier.

If Lambert goes as expected, we have no excuses to not winning this game. Without Lambert they'd be a poor outfit expected of a bottom half finish and we should be picking off teams like this at home.

I expect signings to be made before the weekend to bolster the ranks, and am surprisingly positive of this happening. There was news of 2 loan signings being made imminently, with Theo Robinson being one of those, and we've yet to hear of the result of the improved 6-figure bid for the unnamed player... which suggests we may well have been given permission to speak to him.

Clarke is back this weekend, I'd play him in the midfield where he played against Man U, give it some backbone and allow him to get in the box more. Franno's doing well covering the CB position so let Clarkey have his head.

Well we have won so often recently with Clarke and Grant in the team, we are odds on to win Saturday then!!!!

We have played poorly for months with or without Clarke and Grant in the team, they are not our saviours by any means!!

No, but I'd rather have someone with Clarke's passion in the team than out of it, and as I said, if he can shore up the crumbling midfield a bit then so much the better. Alternatively, play him or Franno up front - worth a go surely if we won't play Foran.

Yep because I see the fans flocking back after Saturdays elecrifying performance. I'd have to pay my mates £100 each to watch the rubbish we are churning out!

I agree it's hard but I do believe we should give it this one last weekend before any outcry begins.

Our whole season could be turned round by a win and two/three signings.

As I said, if it goes badly I'll be on your side of the fence come Monday.

You never know , Francis up front may turn into Paul Warhurst !
Why not chuck Adam Barrett up there?! He loves a run or two forward. Saves* someone having to cover his arse every time he goes wandering then.

p.s. This is a not a criticism of Barrett as at least he tries to drive us forward!

I agree it's hard but I do believe we should give it this one last weekend before any outcry begins.

Our whole season could be turned round by a win and two/three signings.

As I said, if it goes badly I'll be on your side of the fence come Monday.

So we'll start an outcry the day the transfer window closes then and no-one can do anything about it?

So we'll start an outcry the day the transfer window closes then and no-one can do anything about it?

No-one can do anything about it now, there's not enough time left in the window to get any good business done for a new manager.

The only purpose of a new manager is because the previous one was not getting the best out of his players.

If Tilly goes then it wouldn't be a case of bringing men in it would be about finding a system and a way of playing that suits the 11 we can put out on the pitch.

Anyway, this is getting off the point.

We need to get behind the team on Saturday and make Roots Hall an attractive proposition for any potential signings on the fence about coming here by showing we'll stick by the club through thick and thin.

Back