• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers šŸ¤ ā­
Just thought I'd have my say on todays game to help you guys that didn't go.

First of all, I've only seen the games Vs Cheltenham and Lincoln but this was our best performance of the lot. Southend tried to play a high tempo style of football in the first half and tired in the latter stages of the second half. Going forward we looked very impressive, Gower was returning to shades of last season and even helped out at the back. Dudfield and Bramble linked up well and Bentley had another stormer today. Our defence looked a lot more solid than in the games I've seen, maybe it was something to do with Che replacing Nicky or Barrett being in there?! The player ratings are as follows:

Bartman - Pulled off a decent diving save in the first half. Handling was generally solid and his kicking was erratic. He was at fault for their goal with a kick straight to their fella who tucked it away from 40 yards. I did, however, fill he could have recovered and saved it. 6 (Out of 10)

Jupp - Defensively he looked quite solid, won a high percentage of tackles and he got forward a bit as well. Played one superb ball to Bramble that dropped just over their defenders head but his passing was, overall, weak. 6

Barrett - My man of the match. Scored two, had one dissallowed. Hardly put a foot wrong all game apart from being at fault when Parkin rattled our crossbar. Was strong in the tackle and solid in the air. 9

Prior - Had a solid game. Didn't do anything spectacular but did what was required. He won a lot in the air and won his tackles. His experience is helping out the likes off Che. 7

Che - I was shocked to see he replaced Nicky, who didn't even make the bench. Put in a solid game, again, like Prior didn't do anything spectacular. Can be happy with his performance. One of his best in the league but that hasn't been hard. 7

Pettefer - I'm not his biggest fan. To me he doesn't offer us anything. Again failed to provide width on a number of occassions. Worked hard and got up and down. 6

Maher - Typical Maher really. Passed the ball well, got booked a little harshly I feel. Yes he did kick the ball away but it wasn't dissent he was just carring the game on which he shouldn't of. Won a few tackles as well. 7

Bentley - This guy is awesome. Was a close 2nd for me in the man of the match. He got up and down supporting Bramble and Dudders and within seconds helping out the back 4. He knocked the ball around well and won headers and tackles. 8

Gower - Is starting to return to his best. He did a lot of defensive work today which really pleased me. On occasions lacked an end product to his runs but generally played well. Put in some good corners and crosses. Came off with a knock but didn't look too serious, Hunt replaced him. 7

Dudders - Worked incredibly hard up top and was unlucky not to have a couple himself. Never gave the defenders any rest and looked like he was capable of scoring. A goal is just around the corner for him. 7

Bramble - He made a difference in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of Drewenaldo but Tes offered us a different dimension. Worked hard and, like Dudders, was unlucky not to score. Tired towards the end and was replaced by Drewenaldo. 7

Subs:

Hunt - Came on just to help the defence mainly. Didn't provide and attacking threat but that wasn't required and it wasn't his role. 6

Drewenaldo - Came on an won the odd header. Was mainly brought on to replace Tes's tired legs. Had one chance that he tired to lift over the goalkeeper when maybe he should have struck it hard and low across the keepers body. 6

All in all I thought it was a good performance with some decent football, I'd give the performance a 7 out of 10.

Yeah agree with most of that. We played very well and we looked very dangerous when on the attack. Defended superbly too, although Macc didn't cause us too many problems. Can't see how they were 3rd before today's game.

Good of Tilly to make some changes. Tes and Dudfield did very well together, and Che was good at left back. Why was Nicolau dropped though? Nice to see Corbett on the bench too. Griemink should have done better for their goal and his kicking was poor all game, but he made a couple of great saves and looked good on crosses again, so we shouldn't give him too much stick. All keepers make mistakes. Gower started to return to what he was like last season, looked dangerous all game.

As for Barrett, what a signing! He's an ideal replacement for Warren, he's just as passionate, just as vocal, just as solid at the back, plus he can score. We're finally scoring from set pieces thanks to him, and at the moment he looks our biggest attacking threat which is slightly worrying. He gave his all and was the man of the match definitely. Overall, a good performance and a fully deserved win.

Funny how people see agame I thought Pettefer was awesome,and very close to Barrett for MOM.

Jupp IMHO had anightmare,couldn't find a blue shirt in the first half for love or money.

Great win,still concerned that our final delivery is poor,if we are to play high ball to Bramble at least let him have a chance to head the ball,too many going way over his head,Dudfield worked his socks off,just hope the goal comes soon to him.

With Maher facing a ban for 5 bookings surely Barrett must wear the armband,this man is coming close to Paul Clark for inspiration to team colleagues.

Yeah Barrett definitely deserves the captain's armbands for the games that Maher misses (does Kev ever keep his mouth shut?
sad.gif
), he was shouting like mad all afternoon in defence, even bossing Spinner about
laugh.gif

I also thought Petterfer did quite well. Wouldn't say he was excellent, but he worked very hard and got down the wing a lot, getting some good crosses in.

Nicky failed a fitness test this morning after picking up a slighty injury in training yesterday ...

Kev

cool.gif

Jupp - Had a superb game Tuesday and then goes and plays like that today. Very strange.

Bart - Some tw*ts in the East Greens/Black thought it would be funny to cheer him after he caught the ball just after the goal. We tell them to shut up and then Bart goes and makes a tremendous save with his feet just after Barrett had scored. There were mumbles of how Darryl is better for about 10 minutes, lets hope i dont hear those words again ...

Kev

There were some absolute prats in the South Upper ironically cheering Bart for a couple of clearances, and shouting all kinds of things. A few kids in the row behind us seemed to be competing with each other for who could tell Bart he was s**t the loudest, so I told them in no uncertain terms to shut up. I'm sorry but some of our fans are complete numbskulls.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 30 2004,20:59)]Nicky failed a fitness test this morning after picking up a slighty injury in training yesterday ...

Kev

cool.gif
No he didn't!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 30 2004,20:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 30 2004,20:59)]Nicky failed a fitness test this morning after picking up a slighty injury in training yesterday ...

Kev

cool.gif
No he didn't!
Interesting.

What about Gray?
rock.gif

Agree in general with most of the reports. As with every sufcintheprem comment in the history of comments, I have to make aa few points.

Maher - Didin't think it was for kicking the ball away. IIRC, he didn't kick it at all but I think he shouted something loud and obscene after the kick was given and the pernickety referee (third time I've seen him and he gives kicks for everything) pulled him up. Some would say unlucky, some would say, why did he have to shout something offensive to the ref and give him a reason to pull the card out.

Barrett - The lad was superb. His marauding runs are typical of a leader frustrated with his team and he rarely let a much bigger opponent get the better of him. Did well knocking in the goals (even if they were scrappy) and could have had a third were it not for the ref.

Bart - Can't believe what a bunch of nobs (some of) our crowd can be sometimes. He made a mistake and it was quite a bad one and lead to the goal, inciting chants of "Daryl Flahavan" from the West, and flapped a touch at a cross right at the death. Why, oh WHY, do these people think that, in a game against a team much higher up the league, chanting that is going to help the team in any way? You break his confidence, he fumbles another and we lose. YESS! Let's lose all our games. Why not. Why is it not creditworthy the fact that Bart made three not good, but outstanding saves to keep Macc out and caught all the long balls forward bar one. Anyway, I could go all day but won't. Support the team on the pitch. If he's bad, Tilson knows it and will drop him.

Jupp - Had a pretty poor game but not nearly as bad as most people were making out. misplaced four passes straight to the opposition and suddenly all his passes were under scrutiny, getting an ironic cheer when he did a good pass. Generally, I thought he defended solidly and offered our only outlet on the right wing.

Pettefer - Still don't rate him as a winger but I give the lad credit, his workrate and determination are superb. No joke, today is the only time I think I've ever seen him try and beat a full back and put a cross in to the box. Although, it wasn't that great. For me, give Corbett, a more naturally suited winger, the chance. Not saying he's necessarily better but he'll give us some much needed width.

Strikers - disagree a bit here. Both strikers played very well today but there actual link-up, I thought, wasn't quite there. Tes has finally looked like he's up for playing the whole season and worked even when it wasn't necessarily going his way. Full marks. Dudders kept the defenders guessing and looked very keen to turn the defence and get to the byline to cross. But, as I say, I don't think the partnership, as such, has quite clicked yet.

Macc - Can definitely see how they won games because their team could definitely knock the ball about and their strikers looked threatening (if not penetrative) all game. In their no. 8 (can't remember the name), they have a player who is big (well massive) strong, skilful, thoughtful and with a good shot on him. And then in Tipton, they have a fast, elusive poacher who, thankfully, was only denied by a great save by Bart when we were caught napping on the free kick. They'll definitely be top half, probably around the playoff spots (No doubt that'll get quoted later when they do pap).

BUT......I haven't lost sight of the fact that the team played well and almost played the way that I want the team to play. Give us a couple more games and we could really get a good run together.

(Again, I'm ironically clicking the "Quick Post" button
biggrin.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 30 2004,20:26)]Both Gray and Nicolau were fit but not selected.
Good to see Tilly found the guts to shake it up a bit then.

Thanks for the info.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Aug. 30 2004,21:14)]There were some absolute prats in the South Upper ironically cheering Bart for a couple of clearances, and shouting all kinds of things. A few kids in the row behind us seemed to be competing with each other for who could tell Bart he was s**t the loudest, so I told them in no uncertain terms to shut up. I'm sorry but some of our fans are complete numbskulls.
Yeah totally agree, those mock cheers when he held the ball from the East were stupid. He made one mistake for goodness sake, all keepers make mistakes. Apart from that he was pretty good and made a superb save a few minutes later which silenced the jeers.

Can I just throw my hat into the ring reagrding Bart...I thought we saw the measure of the man today, when, after receiving a horrendous barrage of abuse, he produced a match-winning save with his legs, from point blank range.
I was sitting next to the aforementioned group of "little bleeders" (said in best Waynetta voice!) near Jai, and was very disappointed (yet not surprised) that nobody else told them where to stick their comments.
Probably worth mentioning that they spent the remainder of the match having a spitting competition, and hurling racial abuse at the referee...deary me, some of our "fans"
sad.gif

being an ex-Belfairs boy, chuffed to bits with Barretts contribution so far. He seems to love bombing forward and gives us a new option to aim for on set pieces.

Kudos to Tily for making wholeslae changes to mix things up and create competition for places. Thought Bramble, Che and obviously Barrett did really well. Now will he be brave enough to drop Gower....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Aug. 30 2004,21:14)]There were some absolute prats in the South Upper ironically cheering Bart for a couple of clearances, and shouting all kinds of things. A few kids in the row behind us seemed to be competing with each other for who could tell Bart he was s**t the loudest, so I told them in no uncertain terms to shut up. I'm sorry but some of our fans are complete numbskulls.
Couldn't agree more. After the abuse that followed the Macc goal he could easily have crumbled with the end result we end up with another Emberson scenario. Instead he stayed alert for a quickly taken free quick which the defence had switched off for and made a blinding save. That says a lot about his character and professionalism.

Overall I've been very impressed with Bart in the ten games I've seen. His dominace of the penalty area makes a huge difference to the team. Nothing against Daryl, but we've been missing a penalty area presence from our keeper big time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Aug. 30 2004,22:49)]Nothing against Daryl
Well, having seen a more commanding keeper....

In all honesty, I hope that Daryl can become a better player because of the competition but we have to remember he doesn't shave a god-given hold on No.1 Jersey.

Also couldn't help noticing which Blues defender Sheron played on after he came on but the lad Che did well and put in a steady performance. Anyone else notice that at times he had a really sound understanding with Gower?

This is awesome... well done lads! [yes, I mean you!]

There has been way too much doom and gloom on this board since the Cheltenham game [the only game where our lads... sucked - big style!].

Now I said this on Friday before the Bristol Rovers match, that as soon as we score from open play, it would open the floodgates... ok, they're not fully open yet and today's result is only one game, BUT look at the difference after we got a goal at Bristol on Friday? we've now scored three times and have something to build upon!
wink.gif

Agreed, Tilson has made changes and the team we had out there today were effective in all departments, if still a little toothless in the final third and remember the defenders had a clean sheet today too [yes! I know what I said... Griemink made the mistake though and he'll get over it!!!], which will boost their confidence.

Using reverse psycology for a minute... did today's team do anything differently from the teams Tilson selected that lost to Bristol Rovers, Wet Hamster's or Rochdale... IMHO no, because I remember a lot of passion in the games we lost... I was on edge following each game just willing one of our lads to score that vital & deserving goal [even a consolation!] that would change everything for us.

We've mentioned luck deserting us, we've mentioned dodgy referees and we've mentioned poor finishing... but we were poor finishing today? so where did the goals come from in truth? was Barratt really a class above? skillful in his positioning? lucky? or simply a different player offering a different dimension to our attacking game? DO YOU KNOW THE ANSWER?
wow.gif

I am not using reverse psycology to be argumentative here... I am thrilled that we have finally won! but, can someone explain to me what was different today from our other games since our opener... as I feel that we have [to quote Tilson] "played our socks off!" previously with little or no reward!

I wonder what odds we'd get for Barratt being top scorer this season?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 30 2004,20:16)]
[b said:

Kev

cool.gif
No he didn't!
Well thats what Che had told Leeboy and then Leeboy told me. Have words Mr Moderator ... you've made me look a damn fool!!

Kev

tounge.gif

I thought Bramble was excellent today as he was when he came on against West Ham. Can't speak for the Bristol game though.

I'm also glad to see a bit more enthusiasm on the board. Who knows, one year, we might be top by this stage and have no doom

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
blues.gif

Back