• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The clear out

Which players will still be here next season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those under contract will most likely stay (Arnold, Hobson, Kensdale, Dunne, Husin, Wood, Murphy, Dalby, Cardwell, Powell). I think out of them, Dunne would be the only one I'd move on if possible.

We have options on Andeng Ndi, Demetriou, Ralph, Coulson, Ogogo, Bridge, Phillips and Akinola. I'd keep Andeng Ndi as a backup GK and certainly Bridge as he was our best player before he got injured. Ralph is a very good defender but he constantly gets caught on the ball and makes mistakes, so he can stay or go. Coulson, Ogogo and Phillips can leave as they aren't close to the first team and the first two are probably on a decent wage (no inside info, just a guess). Demetriou I'm not sure, maybe as a player-youth coach, as he will be nearly 35 and is struggling getting back defending as a wing back. No idea on Akinola, he could be like a brand new signing at this level and I'd give him pre-season to get his fitness up and prove himself, but if we can find better than I'd be ok with him moving on.

Those out of contract, I'd keep Davies as he has been decent when played, as well as Clifford. I'm not sure on Gard, Benton, ANG or Rush. I think they could go either way depending on how the rest of the season goes, how they do in pre-season or if we sign better players.

Rest can go or stay and be loaned out. I am curious on Tommy Davis, seems to be a regular for Welling in the league below us and could be a backup next season.

Said it in the post match thread, league clubs will be interested in many of our players come the summer. Ain’t just about who want to get rid of. Arnold, Hobson, Ralph, Clifford, Husin, Dalby, Cardwell will all be decent signings for L2 and maybe even L1 clubs. We will need John Still and co to keep finding gems, because like it or not we are a stepping stone into the league for these players. We’ve really got to go for it this season while we’re on a roll

Too early to include the youngsters. Their future will by and large will depend on the decisions made about the Academy. Funding will be greatly reduced and consequently I am sure harsh decisions may have to be made.

Too early to include the youngsters. Their future will by and large will depend on the decisions made about the Academy. Funding will be greatly reduced and consequently I am sure harsh decisions may have to be made.
I think it’s as good as decided that the u23s wil be scrapped. None of the players listed would be eligible for the academy. It’s first team squad or bust for them (albeit we might loan a few out).

Can but hope to sign at least one of the loan players but given the current permanent signings already made, you can feel that they would have alternatives hopefully ready to go.

I can see Atkinson and Demetriou staying on recent form. The real question is John White, maybe time to say goodbye.
“Maybe”!? Will be at least a year too late.

If they enjoy their football with us and settled down and want to be part of our history by getting us out of the league, they will stay with us.
Absolutely cloud cuckoo land. For a start that’s not how it works. Loading clubs will either develop then into their squad or test them at next level, like sheff Utd did with brunt

No chance in hell they stay with us at present. If somehow we do sneak up, slightly different proposition.

Both are out of contract at Sheffield Utd, unless they hand them new contract!
I can't find Neal's contract (although even if it is expiring I'd be very suprised if it doesn't get renewed) but Lopata's deal with Sheffield United doesn't expire until 2023.

I think John White was under no illusions about this being his last contract with us - he's served us well. Demi's resurgence is an odd one, I felt sure this would be his last season, but who knows?

This is the first season Ralph has played the majority of games, he's a quality player and I'd definitely keep him, even if he does make an occasional mistake.

As for the list, this is how I see it:
Arnold - keep
Colin the Keeper - keep
Jason - keep (1 year)
Davies - keep
Howard - let go (though if Demi goes, then he could be back up)
Chandler - let go
Coulson - let go
White - let go
Hobson - not a huge fan, but he's under contract, so keep
Lopata - if we could, then it's a no brainer to keep, but I doubt it very much
Kensdale - keep
Mitchell-Nelson - let go
Ralph - keep
Clifford - keep
Atkinson - keep (1 year)
Dunne - sell if possible, but could still play a mentoring type role
Ogogo - let go
Husin - keep
Neal - as Lopata
Phillips - let go
Wood - keep
Gard - keep
Benton - keep
ANG - let go
Egbri - I'd love to keep him but can see him being let go
Bridge - keep
Kinali - keep
Murphy - keep
Dalby - keep
Cardwell - keep
Akinola - let go
Dennis - see Lopata
Powell - keep
Walsh - keep
Of the rest, the only other one I would keep is Coker.

The Sheffield United youngsters will be playing at a higher level, as we might be :) and good luck to them, they have bright futures. Matt Dennis is less clear, I suspect a L1 club may well offer Norwich money for him and,again, good luck and thank you Matt. I am optimistic about the future as our youngsters are being released, I feel that is because John Still and co have a list of better prospects that we will be showcasing in 2022/23.

I do think Darren Currie is the most likely to have an offer as Manager at this or L2 level. Kev is here for the long haul and would not leave just for the sake of higher level football at, say, Bristol Rovers, this is his project and for sentimental reasons, his passion. Bentley is his natural assistant if DC does have the opportunity to step up.

I would throw Phil Brown into this thread as well. Wrong manager for this league, which the club eventually found out.
I would hope we can keep the current Amigos in their roles for a while.
Form at the moment is fantastic, which if it continues would mean the possibility of the the play offs.
Come the end of the season, some decisions on who leaves will be made with expiring contracts. Those with time left may find themselves also surplus to requirements. The likes of Atkinson, who have found a new lease of life, are showing worrh and should be considered for a new contract, but only 1 year.
Kev and the ManagementTeam are building a younger squad of players who play attractive football. I trust the decisions they make, as so far they have all been good.

I do think Darren Currie is the most likely to have an offer as Manager at this or L2 level. Kev is here for the long haul and would not leave just for the sake of higher level football at, say, Bristol Rovers, this is his project and for sentimental reasons, his passion. Bentley is his natural assistant if DC does have the opportunity to step up.
Would open the door nicely for Demetriou to become first team coach if that's how things work out.

However, how often go assistants get picked off from a management team without the whole team moving on as a unit, let alone after barely a season in that unit? Not many examples spring to mind. Arteta did 3 and a bit years with Guardiola. Buvac and Faria did well over a decade with Klopp and Mourinho respectively but didn't exactly land on their feet.

Currie will be keen to become the main man at some point again in the future, of course. But he's needs to pick his moment right, and to me that doesn't seem like it should be before the end of this season or next. He needs something more on the CV than a nine* match unbeaten run in the league.

No matter what happens this season, there is absolutely no way Kev (or any of them) leave right now. This is an exciting project, at a club they love with a real football structure in place.
I wasn't suggesting it would happen in the next two months. Other clubs will be looking and letting people know they will be interested this summer.

The only loan player we’ve got a chance of signing is Dennis and even then I think it’s a slim chance. He’ll have a big decision to make, or his agent will ?

Does he be a regular starter for us, bang the goals in, gain more experience and gradually move up the leagues with or without us? Or does he sign for a L1/L2 club for a bit more money, possibly spend a lot of time on the bench, possibly be loaned out multiple times? Seems like an easy decision but money talks unfortunately. I think the most important thing for any young footballer though is to be playing well, playing regularly and above all, enjoying football. I’d like to think we could tick all those boxes for him.

Would open the door nicely for Demetriou to become first team coach if that's how things work out.

However, how often go assistants get picked off from a management team without the whole team moving on as a unit, let alone after barely a season in that unit? Not many examples spring to mind. Arteta did 3 and a bit years with Guardiola. Buvac and Faria did well over a decade with Klopp and Mourinho respectively but didn't exactly land on their feet.

Currie will be keen to become the main man at some point again in the future, of course. But he's needs to pick his moment right, and to me that doesn't seem like it should be before the end of this season or next. He needs something more on the CV than a nine* match unbeaten run in the league.
But unlike other assistants Currie already has experience as a number one so I could easily see other teams being interested.

None of the loanees will sign, that’s clear. But for once I’m not concerned by that because we FINALLY have the right people in charge of recruitment and I have every faith that Still, his scouting network and Stan will identify the right players to come in this summer and drive us forward. Yes Lopata, Neal and Dennis will be big losses but with a full summer to further clear out some deadwood and free up wages I still think we’ll be even better next season and we’ll have a real chance of top 7 minimum. In the case of Dennis will we even need to replace him? With Cardwell, Dalby, Murphy and Powell we should already boast a potent threat next season up top in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back