• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The clear out

Which players will still be here next season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But unlike other assistants Currie already has experience as a number one so I could easily see other teams being interested.
I'm sure currie itching to get back into management. I would of thought out of our 3 Amigos, currie would be first to leave.

None of the loanees will sign, that’s clear. But for once I’m not concerned by that because we FINALLY have the right people in charge of recruitment and I have every faith that Still, his scouting network and Stan will identify the right players to come in this summer and drive us forward. Yes Lopata, Neal and Dennis will be big losses but with a full summer to further clear out some deadwood and free up wages I still think we’ll be even better next season and we’ll have a real chance of top 7 minimum. In the case of Dennis will we even need to replace him? With Cardwell, Dalby, Murphy and Powell we should already boast a potent threat next season up top in this league.
Totally agree with this. Don’t think there would be an immediate need to replace Dennis unless Kev sees three up front as his preferred style going forward. What’s impressed me more is the amount of planning and forward thinking. You could also argue we don’t need to replace Lopata and Neal. Kensdale and Wood could step into those positions and it seems like we’re really planning not only for this season, but for the next and maybe beyond. Really loving what those six gents have done to this club.

Would open the door nicely for Demetriou to become first team coach if that's how things work out.

However, how often go assistants get picked off from a management team without the whole team moving on as a unit, let alone after barely a season in that unit? Not many examples spring to mind. Arteta did 3 and a bit years with Guardiola. Buvac and Faria did well over a decade with Klopp and Mourinho respectively but didn't exactly land on their feet.

Currie will be keen to become the main man at some point again in the future, of course. But he's needs to pick his moment right, and to me that doesn't seem like it should be before the end of this season or next. He needs something more on the CV than a nine* match unbeaten run in the league.
This Management Team was put together by the CEO and Stan, so they are not top man and his crew like some of these Managers operate. The future of these coaches depends on our collective success, so if/when they get us back into the EFL there will be interest.

18 from the list for me, but I am including the hoped for signing of Dennis and Neale on loan until end of 2022, and Akinola could figure again if the price and fitness is right.

Said it in the post match thread, league clubs will be interested in many of our players come the summer. Ain’t just about who want to get rid of. Arnold, Hobson, Ralph, Clifford, Husin, Dalby, Cardwell will all be decent signings for L2 and maybe even L1 clubs. We will need John Still and co to keep finding gems, because like it or not we are a stepping stone into the league for these players. We’ve really got to go for it this season while we’re on a roll
I don't say you're wrong and at first sight it's depressing. I'd be unhappy to see any of those players depart. But if the backroom set-up remains in place, it shouldn't be a problem. Firstly, once they've proven themselves, they ought command decent transfer fees. Secondly, there's that constantly updated list of potential targets on the office wall, from which decent replacements ought to become available. It's a sustainable model for a forward-looking football club. I don't think Maher will be going anywhere at the end of the season. He's already proved himself to be that rarity in modern football, the loyal servant. The same for Stan with his desire to repay the club.

I don't say you're wrong and at first sight it's depressing. I'd be unhappy to see any of those players depart. But if the backroom set-up remains in place, it shouldn't be a problem. Firstly, once they've proven themselves, they ought command decent transfer fees. Secondly, there's that constantly updated list of potential targets on the office wall, from which decent replacements ought to become available. It's a sustainable model for a forward-looking football club. I don't think Maher will be going anywhere at the end of the season. He's already proved himself to be that rarity in modern football, the loyal servant. The same for Stan with his desire to repay the club.
You’re right. It’s going to have to work this way. There will be disappointment with player departures but it’s the structure and scouting that’s important. Plus, as the club gets a reputation for nurturing talent, we become the club that the very best promising non league players want to play for.

It is hard to separate who you would like to be here, and who will be here realistically, but even the latter is way better than most of us expected a while back.

I think John White was under no illusions about this being his last contract with us - he's served us well. Demi's resurgence is an odd one, I felt sure this would be his last season, but who knows?

This is the first season Ralph has played the majority of games, he's a quality player and I'd definitely keep him, even if he does make an occasional mistake.

As for the list, this is how I see it:
Arnold - keep
Colin the Keeper - keep
Jason - keep (1 year)
Davies - keep
Howard - let go (though if Demi goes, then he could be back up)
Chandler - let go
Coulson - let go
White - let go
Hobson - not a huge fan, but he's under contract, so keep
Lopata - if we could, then it's a no brainer to keep, but I doubt it very much
Kensdale - keep
Mitchell-Nelson - let go
Ralph - keep
Clifford - keep
Atkinson - keep (1 year)
Dunne - sell if possible, but could still play a mentoring type role
Ogogo - let go
Husin - keep
Neal - as Lopata
Phillips - let go
Wood - keep
Gard - keep
Benton - keep
ANG - let go
Egbri - I'd love to keep him but can see him being let go
Bridge - keep
Kinali - keep
Murphy - keep
Dalby - keep
Cardwell - keep
Akinola - let go
Dennis - see Lopata
Powell - keep
Walsh - keep
Of the rest, the only other one I would keep is Coker.
I think John White was under no illusions about this being his last contract with us - he's served us well. Demi's resurgence is an odd one, I felt sure this would be his last season, but who knows?

This is the first season Ralph has played the majority of games, he's a quality player and I'd definitely keep him, even if he does make an occasional mistake.

As for the list, this is how I see it:
Arnold - keep
Colin the Keeper - keep
Jason - keep (1 year)
Davies - keep
Howard - let go (though if Demi goes, then he could be back up)
Chandler - let go
Coulson - let go
White - let go
Hobson - not a huge fan, but he's under contract, so keep
Lopata - if we could, then it's a no brainer to keep, but I doubt it very much
Kensdale - keep
Mitchell-Nelson - let go
Ralph - keep
Clifford - keep
Atkinson - keep (1 year)
Dunne - sell if possible, but could still play a mentoring type role
Ogogo - let go
Husin - keep
Neal - as Lopata
Phillips - let go
Wood - keep
Gard - keep
Benton - keep
ANG - let go
Egbri - I'd love to keep him but can see him being let go
Bridge - keep
Kinali - keep
Murphy - keep
Dalby - keep
Cardwell - keep
Akinola - let go
Dennis - see Lopata
Powell - keep
Walsh - keep
Of the rest, the only other one I would keep is Coker.
Amazingly ,OBL (we often disagree !) I concur with you almost entirely !
Just 2 differences :
For next season and probably longer Akinola and ANG have considerably more to offer than either Kinali and Atkinson.

I think that John Still said in his interview they have a list of forty players we might be interested in. No one knows many of those will be out of contract in the close season or how badly we want any of them. That is an issue as how many we bring in after the end of the season must affect the thinking of whom to release or keep.
For what it is worth here are my predictions:
Andeng: will be kept I suspect but might depend on what goalkeepers are on the 'list';
J.D.: a hard one as he is enjoying an indian summer with us at the moment. Might depend on the salary and in what role;
Davies: I suspect his future depends on the 'list';
Howard: will go as seems not to be rated by the present management;
Chandler: unless rated by the present hierarchy will likely be gone;
J.W. ; he has been a great servant for us but hard to see him offered a new contract;
Coulson; option will not be taken up;
Lopata: cannot see him returning. Replacement will either be from the 'list' or another loanee;
Miles M-N: I always thought there was a player there but my opinion does not count. he will be gone I think;
Clifford: suspect he will be offered a new contract but will depend if the 'list' has a preferred option in his position. There must also be an outside chance he will receive other offers;
Atkinson: another one whose future may depend on the 'list'. Right now he is really contributing but because of his age may be seen as a stopgap only. At the right wage would be great bench option and I am guessing he will stay;
Dunne: on a two year contract which will make him difficult to offload. Am expecting to see him on the bench a lot next season;
Ogogo: hard to see his option being taken up, Release;
Neal: only if Sheffield United want to loan him to us again;
Harry Phillips: seems not be in the plans and will be released;
Lewis Gard: suspect he will be gone and no denying he has been unlucky;
Benton: suspect he will be gone unless he is rated by the management team;
ANG: pretty sure he will be gone;
Egbri: suspect there will what are seen as better options on the 'list'. Gone;
Bridge: an interesting one. The signing of Powell was not good news for him, and, I think it is touch and go for him. The 'list' might again be an issue as might how much he is rated by the management team;
Kinali: Does not seem to be rated and I suspect he will be gone;
Murphy: is under contract and likely a top earner. He does not seem to be type of player favoured by the management (yes I could be wrong about that), and, as a proven goalscorer he might not be too hard to move on. I am expecting he might let go at a nominal fee or less;
Dennis: there will competition for his signature, and, I cannot see him returning;
Sim Ak: his Southend career has been a case of 'wrong place. wrong time' and I think he will be released;
Walsh: some say he is rated by the present management and we will soon find out. My guess is he will be gone;
Rush: looks nothing like the forwards we have signed since the new management has been in place which makes me think he will be gone.
Your guess would be as good as mine as to who, if any, will be kept from Jimmy Wallace, Oli Coker, Tommy Lambourne, Tommy Davis, Bobby Unwin, Jamie Grossart, Ergis Shala, Cameron Brown, Tendi Quamini and Demaray Anyadike. I would expect a good many to be released. The Ricky Duncan era is well and truly gone.
I think we will keep all of the other contracted players although there will be some 'incoming' during the close season or before especially if we do find ourselves realistically competing for a play off spot.

Lofthouse for Woking looked an interesting player, could he be on "the Office board"?
Good going forward, an absolute liability at the back according to Woking fans. Maher would have known this too, we targeted him ruthlessly in the first half an hour. He's a big reason why we were 2 nil up in 11 minutes. All three of our goals came from his side of the pitch.

You never know Currie may want to try and get him back to his best.
He might but I suspect his age and the fact he is coming back from injury will count against him. Unless he is super rated by the management team I think he will let go.
Of the forty names pinned up on the office notice board it would be a surprise there were not a forward or two among them.
And if they are players moving up the pyramid it is quite likely they will cost the club a little less than renewing SimAk would.

i
You never know Currie may want to try and get him back to his best.

Sill wouldn't make our bench at the moment. His two goals so far have been very expensive. Still his penalty was entertaining.....If you were a Col U fan.

I think that John Still said in his interview they have a list of forty players we might be interested in. No one knows many of those will be out of contract in the close season or how badly we want any of them. That is an issue as how many we bring in after the end of the season must affect the thinking of whom to release or keep.
For what it is worth here are my predictions:
Andeng: will be kept I suspect but might depend on what goalkeepers are on the 'list';
J.D.: a hard one as he is enjoying an indian summer with us at the moment. Might depend on the salary and in what role;
Davies: I suspect his future depends on the 'list';
Howard: will go as seems not to be rated by the present management;
Chandler: unless rated by the present hierarchy will likely be gone;
J.W. ; he has been a great servant for us but hard to see him offered a new contract;
Coulson; option will not be taken up;
Lopata: cannot see him returning. Replacement will either be from the 'list' or another loanee;
Miles M-N: I always thought there was a player there but my opinion does not count. he will be gone I think;
Clifford: suspect he will be offered a new contract but will depend if the 'list' has a preferred option in his position. There must also be an outside chance he will receive other offers;
Atkinson: another one whose future may depend on the 'list'. Right now he is really contributing but because of his age may be seen as a stopgap only. At the right wage would be great bench option and I am guessing he will stay;
Dunne: on a two year contract which will make him difficult to offload. Am expecting to see him on the bench a lot next season;
Ogogo: hard to see his option being taken up, Release;
Neal: only if Sheffield United want to loan him to us again;
Harry Phillips: seems not be in the plans and will be released;
Lewis Gard: suspect he will be gone and no denying he has been unlucky;
Benton: suspect he will be gone unless he is rated by the management team;
ANG: pretty sure he will be gone;
Egbri: suspect there will what are seen as better options on the 'list'. Gone;
Bridge: an interesting one. The signing of Powell was not good news for him, and, I think it is touch and go for him. The 'list' might again be an issue as might how much he is rated by the management team;
Kinali: Does not seem to be rated and I suspect he will be gone;
Murphy: is under contract and likely a top earner. He does not seem to be type of player favoured by the management (yes I could be wrong about that), and, as a proven goalscorer he might not be too hard to move on. I am expecting he might let go at a nominal fee or less;
Dennis: there will competition for his signature, and, I cannot see him returning;
Sim Ak: his Southend career has been a case of 'wrong place. wrong time' and I think he will be released;
Walsh: some say he is rated by the present management and we will soon find out. My guess is he will be gone;
Rush: looks nothing like the forwards we have signed since the new management has been in place which makes me think he will be gone.
Your guess would be as good as mine as to who, if any, will be kept from Jimmy Wallace, Oli Coker, Tommy Lambourne, Tommy Davis, Bobby Unwin, Jamie Grossart, Ergis Shala, Cameron Brown, Tendi Quamini and Demaray Anyadike. I would expect a good many to be released. The Ricky Duncan era is well and truly gone.
I think we will keep all of the other contracted players although there will be some 'incoming' during the close season or before especially if we do find ourselves realistically competing for a play off spot.
Agree with much of this. Me not 'voting' for some of the youngsters doesn't mean I want them gone - I just don't haven't seen them play - so no opinion

I normally am very much in the "keep as many as possible" camp with the view to managing & developing players - I dislike this constant churn of players we see year after year.

However, at the moment I would veer more towards letting players go - even the older players who have done so well in the last few games. How many times have we said someone has stayed "a season too long"?

And the reason is that there seems to be a number of players both in this league (and possibly in the league above) who can play football & could do a good job for us. And they wouldn't have the baggage from the last few years with them.

A very large number of recent graduates from our academy have played in the first team but only one, Tom Clifford has been worthy of a place in the team, and that is in a non-league squad don't forget. The academy has not been as successful as many claim. A good yardstick is if you have a decent crop of youngsters then you will have a decent run in the FA Youth Cup. We have been eliminated in the early rounds on a regular basis over the past few years, often by teams from clubs no bigger than ourselves.

A very large number of recent graduates from our academy have played in the first team but only one, Tom Clifford has been worthy of a place in the team, and that is in a non-league squad don't forget. The academy has not been as successful as many claim. A good yardstick is if you have a decent crop of youngsters then you will have a decent run in the FA Youth Cup. We have been eliminated in the early rounds on a regular basis over the past few years, often by teams from clubs no bigger than ourselves.

Equally we've sold many players before they've had a chance to be in the first team - or shortly after. This has brought much needed revenue into the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back