• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hong Kong Blue

Slight twist on DtS's excellent thread, as suggested by Firestorm.

His nominations were Shane Westley and John Keeley.

My nominations would be:

Flahavan - I see a midget shotstopper who is dodgy at crosses; everyone else sees the best keeper in the division. (although at the moment he's playing his best football of his Southend career)

Julian Hails - I saw a lightweight, thunderbird wannabe, not good enough to be a winger so hidden away at right-back; everyone else sees player of the year.

Keith Dublin - I saw a player responsible for conceding approximately 80 goals a season in all but one of his seasons at Roots Hall; others saw a player good enough to play league football.

Every youth team product since approximately 1991 (except Leo Roget and Leon Johnson) - I see a lightweight teenage with a fairly decent touch, but nothing special and far too easily knocked off the ball; everyone else sees a future England international.

Drewe Broughton - I saw a lumbering centre forward with the touch of a rapist and the mobility of an 80 year old without their mobility scooter; everyone else sees a Southend legend.

So what are your nominations. Does anyone not rate Freddy, did anyone think Brett was a donkey and Crown and Cadette overrated?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Sep. 16 2005,12:20)]Eastwood!
eh? are you for real or just fishing
rock.gif

Peter Butler. I saw a headless chicken of a midfielder, that could not tackle (virtually every challenge ended up as a free-kick), that could not pass, cross a ball when in a wide position, or shoot. Everyone else saw a SUFC legend.

Roy McDonough. I saw a tall Centre Forward that when he won a header it was in to no-man's land, and who had a hideously bad scoring record with a disciplinary record to match. Everyone else saw a committed, unselfish centre forwrad who set-up a high percentage of David Crown and Richard Cadette's goals.

Like yourself Matt, any time someone says Drewe was 'a legend' I hold my head in my hands.

Yes, he scored the goal against Col Ewe that sent us to Cardiff. But more pertinently, he was one of the biggest donkeys it has ever been my misfortune to see play for Southend.

Mark McNally - a bit too small and lightweight to be a centre-back and often looked like he was daydreaming on set-pieces to me.

Leon Constantine, I saw a bambi-legged, sixpence-headed excuse for a striker who, I concede greatfully, had the best (by far) season of his career (and I'm willing to wager against all his future seasons too) with us. Everone else saw the pittence-paid spuerstar striking hero of a season in the near clutches of relegation. Seems, fortunately, Tilly also sided with me on that one!

Chris Powell.....

.....Only joking
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Sep. 16 2005,12:28)]I just dont rate him. Why do you?
wow.gif
rock.gif
As a league 2 striker I can't rate him highly enough.

At this level though, it remains to be seen how good he'll be...

Leon Constantine was what is known as a bit of a bertie big b******s, over rated, arrogant, back stabbing excuse for a footballer, if he ever scores more than 20 goals in a season again in his career then I will be astounded.

Dudfield... May have created chances, but for a forward his finishing was dire. Against Swindon last year we could have scored several, but for Dudfields finishing.

Am still waiting for ORM's nomination of Eastwood, Mad Cyril's nomination of Mark Rawle (and probably Neil Jenkins) and Mark Wallis' nomination of Simon Royce.

It would have to be Leon Constantine, but it seems I'm not really in the minority. Don't get me wrong, I will be forever greatful because he scored the goals that kept us up that year, but he was never a footballer in my eyes.

Alan Little - Bandy legged midfield destroyer - could not stop a pig in a passage.

Peter Abbott - The worst player i have ever seen in a Southend shirt. Allegedly a centre forward.

Shane Westley - Body double for Fatima Whitbread.

Dave Cunningham - Short arsed Scots midfielder, famed for fighting taxi drivers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Sep. 16 2005,12:55)]Shane Westley - Body double for Fatima Whitbread.
I'd never seen the connection, but I do now. Ā 
laugh.gif
That's really made me laugh

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 16 2005,12:43)]Am still waiting for ORM's nomination of Eastwood
Wait no longer Sir ! Busy bee again today so work keeps interrupting. Still reeling from the wholly unwarranted attack on the legendary RM.

Others have already expressed their doubts about Eastwood already on this thread and I agree with their sentiment. BUT, as I have always said about any player that incurs the wrath of ORM, I want them to come and ram my observations right down my throat.

Quite simply Eastwood has the talent, but does he have the attitude needed at pro-level ? I have my doubts, though Goater may prove a blessing in more ways than one. Were Wet Spam foolish ? Only time will tell.

Maher 8 - others see inspirational captain, highly regarded by players and Management, tireless midfield work horse.

I see - arrogant, average player who always plays a safe, simple sideways / backwards pass when other ( attacking ) options are available. Holds the Club to ransom over contract demands, always has to take part in set pieces or at least touch the ball / place the ball.

Tes Bramble - others see bustling, powerful forward capable of scoring a great goal.
I see - lazy, lumbering, slow-witted average Conference striker living on his brothers name. Averaged 10 goals a season for 4 seasons - quite poor really.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Sep. 16 2005,12:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Sep. 16 2005,12:28)]I just dont rate him. Why do you?
wow.gif
rock.gif
As a league 2 striker I can't rate him highly enough.

At this level though, it remains to be seen how good he'll be...
got ya
wink.gif
wow.gif
oops.gif

Back