• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire I was thinking very quickly at the top of my head. Was in a rush this morning. Yes Brett Angel, Shaun Goater were very good ( Goater had his critics in stages) But I was saying targetmen have not always been the saviour. As you say Not all the shorter forwards have pruduced. To extend on that since SUFC formed I suspect theres a decent mixture of players in every single position who have either perfored well ot not done so and this trend will continue, at all all clubs I might add, till such time times end.:winking:

Another example of a poor targetman - albeit only here briefly under Newman- Was Dominic Foley. Not a FL player in a million years. That was evident in the short stay he had with us.

The older fans will recall how many of the great Billy Best's goals were scored as a result of knock-downs and space provided by big lads Gary Moore and Bill Garner. Harris has always played better alongside a big striker at previous clubs. Would Eastwood have been the player he became without the assistance of Goater? A tall ball winner up front would help all or any of our current strikers.

What some of you seem to misunderstand is that we want balls to be played into the box on the ground! Sturrock wants possession on the edge of the oppositions box! That's why we have signed Tomlin, Timlin, Benyon, Harris, Eastwood, Spicer and more who all can play! We get to that position by sometimes playing directly to the front man!

SO WE CAN PLAY IN THEIR HALF!

Why don't people understand this? It's crazy!

We want players to be able to play football in their half! For goodness sake!

I have no problem in sometimes implementing a direct style in order to get the ball forward quickly and catch the opposition out AS LONG AS WE LOOK TO PLAY FOOTBALL FROM THERE. That way we can get the best out of a targetman and the other forward players we have.

The older fans will recall how many of the great Billy Best's goals were scored as a result of knock-downs and space provided by big lads Gary Moore and Bill Garner. Harris has always played better alongside a big striker at previous clubs. Would Eastwood have been the player he became without the assistance of Goater? A tall ball winner up front would help all or any of our current strikers.

He did very well without a big parter the year before (Dudfield/Gray) and the year after (Bradbury - a decent target man but not huge).

Freddy in the past never really needed a partner, he just did most of it himself as long as you give him the ball in the last third he would get a shot away. Id personally rather see Eastwood play with someone quick than big.

I have no problem in sometimes implementing a direct style in order to get the ball forward quickly and catch the opposition out AS LONG AS WE LOOK TO PLAY FOOTBALL FROM THERE. That way we can get the best out of a targetman and the other forward players we have.

Yep, that seems to be what we do!

Yep, that seems to be what we do!

Its not how we finished the season, and the two games we did against Crewe by choice in the 1st game and out of desperation in the 2nd we lost.

There was a distinct change in the way we played in the last 6 games and just because we have made a poor start doesnt mean we should revert to the style that we played prior to then.

We still havent even got Freddy on the pitch yet.

Well if not. Then it begs the question as to why we are signing players that the "Manager" does not want.

Surely that is undermining him, not to mention adding to a worsening financial situation.

Again highlighting the issues we have "upstairs" and perhaps "downstairs" as well to be quite honest.

Exactly right. I am sure Eastwood, Harris and maybe others were not Sturrock choices. Sadly, it seems to be happening at various clubs where the CEO/owner thinks he or she knows more about the game than the manager that they employ. What can the manager do though? Either just grin and bear it or resign. I would love to know Sturrocks true feelings about these issues. Maybe it would help if Gary Lockett or Ron Martin could categorically deny the rumours, until then many of us are very suspicious. It will all come out one day maybe when Sturrock retires and his autobiography is published!

He did very well without a big parter the year before (Dudfield/Gray) and the year after (Bradbury - a decent target man but not huge).

Freddy in the past never really needed a partner, he just did most of it himself as long as you give him the ball in the last third he would get a shot away. Id personally rather see Eastwood play with someone quick than big.

I don't think Freddy played up front with Dudfield, a couple of games maybe at most.

Gray was a better targetman than Bradbury, who was one of the most immobile footballers I've ever seen as he was always on his heels. Bradbury could control it, but even a lumbering centre-half could nip round and take the ball off of Bradbury before Bradbury has transferred his weight from his heels to his toes.

Anyway, that season in the Championship showed Freddy needed a decent partner as he was forever being crowded out. He needed someone with some intelligence and movement to create the room for Freddy to work some magic.

I'd personally rather we signed players with futures not pasts.

We live in a world, Clunie, where a manager can knock up 83 points and still get stick for it!

He is not getting stick for getting 83 points, he is getting stick because last season's home matches produced some of the dullest football seen at Roots Hall for many a decade. He is getting stick for a number of matches where the number of shots on target could be counted on the fingers of a mitten.

Many were grudgingly tolerating it as a means to an end, but as we all know that end did not materialise.

Not sure about this. Spicer fills a gap but I've seen nothing that suggests he's any more than that.

Early days but I quite like him, he's the nearest we've got to a creative midfielder in the centre and when he is properly up to speed I think he'll do very well for us. Signs are promising IMHO. :thumbsup:

Back