• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Financial Cost Of Relegation

TMWLT

Banned
unlike some of the idiots on here, who think for some reason we are going keep crowds of 7,000 despite the obvious reduction in away fans, the real truth is we will be lucky to get 5,000 a game next season, as again this team may just about finish 12th in the league, thats going to mean a potential loss off income of around £2m plus the £3m we lose from sky, it does not take a genius to work out that we are going to have one hell of a painful season, and the worst part is we are going to be stuck with players like maher hunt foran and bradbury as I cannot see anyone wanting them. who to blame
well lets start at the top RM I dont believe is interested in the team, other than to get his hands on a developement, which he nearly has, Tilson has been guilty of not keeping a reign in of his players, I think pretty much the players rule the dressing room, how many times this season have we heard of fights in clubs, gropes in clubs, and drunken behaviour. Gordon strachan, used to tour the night clubs to check his players were not out on the p

If we only get 5,000 a game then we don't deserve to be at this, or any other decent, level.

Ah yes ,but Gordon Strachan stopped doing this because one Night after having a Drink in every Club he started doing lots of Drunken Behaviour ,he groped a young Lady and then started a Fight . ;)

A very closed ending. What was the point of the post? I feel like you're bursting to say something but in your haste never said it.

Anyway, is it not the case, as we all accept that we have the smallest squad in the division, that the wage bill will be manageable at League One level without the need for drastic cutbacks?

I have it on good authority that, last season, we broke even if we reached crowds of 5,500. Ron Martin, being the knowledgeable businessman he is, must have a contingency plan in place and i can't see any reason why we can't snap into a similar break even capacity figure.

I'd imagine any contracts offered this year would include a relegation wage decrease clause...

You're all looking at it from the wrong point of view, short term instead of long term and not taking into account past events. When Ron Martin first started the new stadium plans he would, I am sure, have had at least a 5 year plan.
Being in the Championship this year would not, in anybody's mind including us supporters, have been in this plan. Nobody expected us to be in this division and the new stadium was part of a long term plan. Therefore the financial plans would have been based on us being in League 1 or even League 2 - definitely not in the Championship. The new stadium was supposed to bring in the revenue to get us into the Championship and it was not planned for us to be here before it was built.
So rather than looking at relegation this year as a Financial cost you should look at promotion last year as a financial gain. This year has been a bonus - both in Football and Financial terms. So whatever happens for the rest of the season let's enjoy it and be glad that we did have this experience this year.

You're all looking at it from the wrong point of view, short term instead of long term and not taking into account past events. When Ron Martin first started the new stadium plans he would, I am sure, have had at least a 5 year plan.
Being in the Championship this year would not, in anybody's mind including us supporters, have been in this plan. Nobody expected us to be in this division and the new stadium was part of a long term plan. Therefore the financial plans would have been based on us being in League 1 or even League 2 - definitely not in the Championship. The new stadium was supposed to bring in the revenue to get us into the Championship and it was not planned for us to be here before it was built.
So rather than looking at relegation this year as a Financial cost you should look at promotion last year as a financial gain. This year has been a bonus - both in Football and Financial terms. So whatever happens for the rest of the season let's enjoy it and be glad that we did have this experience this year.

Are you suggesting that, as he didn't plan to be there anyway, he didn't pull out all of the stops (or any of them) to keep us there?

Are you suggesting that, as he didn't plan to be there anyway, he didn't pull out all of the stops (or any of them) to keep us there?
No, what I'm saying is don't see relegation as a cost but see the promotion last year as a bonus.
And I think he did pull out all the stops to try and keep us here. How many signings did we make? Francis, Hammel, Paynter, Harrold, Hooper, Foran, MacCormak...have I missed anyone?
What more could we have done...?
Perhaps he could have done a Ridsdale and bankrupted us

unlike some of the idiots on here, who think for some reason we are going keep crowds of 7,000 despite the obvious reduction in away fans, the real truth is we will be lucky to get 5,000 a game next season, as again this team may just about finish 12th in the league, thats going to mean a potential loss off income of around £2m plus the £3m we lose from sky, it does not take a genius to work out that we are going to have one hell of a painful season,
Entirly agree although I wouldn't call anybody an idiot just because they have a different opion to me. Next year is going to really hurt and if you think of the clubs far bigger than ourselves who thought that they would bounce straight back, Notts Forest, Bristol City, Sheffield Wed to name a few and who strggled or are struggling to get out again I fear we will have a long wait and perhaps a completly new generation before we taste the fruits of the championship again. Football clubs go in cycles and I beleive that unless we can consolidate this season, then ours is going one way and that is down for the next forseeable future.

unlike some of the idiots on here, who think for some reason we are going keep crowds of 7,000 despite the obvious reduction in away fans, the real truth is we will be lucky to get 5,000 a game next season, as again this team may just about finish 12th in the league, thats going to mean a potential loss off income of around £2m plus the £3m we lose from sky, it does not take a genius to work out that we are going to have one hell of a painful season,
Entirly agree although I wouldn't call anybody an idiot just because they have a different opion to me. Next year is going to really hurt and if you think of the clubs far bigger than ourselves who thought that they would bounce straight back, Notts Forest, Bristol City, Sheffield Wed to name a few and who strggled or are struggling to get out again I fear we will have a long wait and perhaps a completly new generation before we taste the fruits of the championship again. Football clubs go in cycles and I beleive that unless we can consolidate this season, then ours is going one way and that is down for the next forseeable future.

No doubt Bentley, Gray and Jupp will be laughing at the short sightedness of the club in relation to their offers. Gills will probably finish higher than us next year.

I'd say that we're substantially better suited for League One football than any of those clubs were. I don't know if we'll ever play at this level again, but I wouldn't expect us to struggle next year if we do go down. 90% of our problems this year ultimately boil down to having a core of players who are essentially League One players and I expect most or all of those players to still be here next year.

90% of our problems this year ultimately boil down to having a core of players who are essentially League One players and I expect most or all of those players to still be here next year.
So how do we progress?

So how do we progress?

Get the stadium built whilst staying financially stable, and move on from their with the vastly increased revenue which will allow us to bring in a better standard of player.

we dont, until the future re the stadium is announced, I think we will have
3 seasons in league 1 fishing around the midtable position with a couple of excursions to the fa cup 3rd round, and possibly another run in the paint cup

i think as I said the crowds will tail off to around 5,000 with the biggest being millwall and gills over holiday periods, and the lowest going down to 4,000 when playing teams like port vale or crew midweek at home when there is champions league football. But like i said, the club will have to work its nuts off to get the punters through the door, £22 midweek against the aforementioned aint gonna put bums on seats.

3 seasons in league 1 fishing around the midtable position with a couple of excursions to the fa cup 3rd round, and possibly another run in the paint cup

i think as I said the crowds will tail off to around 5,000 with the biggest being millwall and gills over holiday periods, and the lowest going down to 4,000 when playing teams like port vale or crew midweek at home when there is champions league football. But like i said, the club will have to work its nuts off to get the punters through the door, £22 midweek against the aforementioned aint gonna put bums on seats.

So, the glass is most definitely half empty in your opinion...

Get the stadium built whilst staying financially stable, and move on from their with the vastly increased revenue which will allow us to bring in a better standard of player.

Hmmm... but who will actually own the stadium ????

We'll see. I don't think we'll struggle to get people through the turnstiles next year. The big hit will be, as you stated in your original post, the drastically smaller number of away fans we'll get. But our own fanbase is far bigger now than it was ten years ago when we were last in this position and I'm confident that we'll get decent home gates next year.

Hmmm... but who will actually own the stadium ????

Not sure on the actual situation, but I'd hazard a guess that The club, Or it's holding company, will own the stadium and Training facilities with Ron Martin owning the flats and retail developments associated with it.

Back