• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the first in a new series of where are they now.......southend fans that is

TMWLT

Banned
First off the Bushell brothers?? any ideas, they were my introduction to away days with the shrimpers. Fond memories of the coaches turning up
with them both parked in the front seats of the coach, checking you off the list one was called Alan?? and the other Gary(or am I confusing him with the former NF spokesman top man!!) always very polite, and always looked under pressure, after they ran the coaches they used to go away by train and I used see them at leigh station when we used to go by train, in the early 1980s. I believe they were leading lights inthe supporters band??

anyway- anyone know where they are now

were they the ones who did the old video, currently on sale with the Trust? If so, they're still in Southend, I think

Correct Naps,it was Alan and Peter Bushell that did "The Team we call United"

were they the ones who did the old video, currently on sale with the Trust? If so, they're still in Southend, I think

That's them, and both still living in Westcliff, and both can still be seen at home games.

terrific video of Roots Hall in the early days. Really nostalgic and even more so with the imminent move. I'm sure they're still some left.
Can I add 2 names to the list
Argentine Pete. The man with the poster and author of his very own fanzine.
Tony "the builder" Hall. The brains behind WTSSG and the first chairman and guiding light of the reconstituted Supporters Club now the Shrimpers Trust. I always think when I read dept 36 posts that it might be him but am not sure.

One always looked like he should be visiting probation on a Wednesday afternoon.

What about the disabled person on those late 70's/early 80's coaches, Chopper. What happened to him?

Dickie Worthington too?

Beat me to it! Sunday football referee too! Must rank as one of the worst too! If you argued decision, he'd often change his mind!! He always walked around the ground selling Bingo tickets. He had a big striding walk IIRC!

terrific video of Roots Hall in the early days. Really nostalgic and even more so with the imminent move. I'm sure they're still some left.
Can I add 2 names to the list
Argentine Pete. The man with the poster and author of his very own fanzine.
Tony "the builder" Hall. The brains behind WTSSG and the first chairman and guiding light of the reconstituted Supporters Club now the Shrimpers Trust. I always think when I read dept 36 posts that it might be him but am not sure.

The DVD - The Team We Call United is still available from the Trust Stand in the Shrimpers Bar or online here.

dvd-300.jpg

Dickie Worthington too?

He is still reffing, was at Stambridge a few weeks ago. We had a long chat, he married a Mongolian lady from the internet who mashes all his food together like baby food and he tried to give her driving lessons but she didn't quite understand stopping at red lights as she had never seen them before.
He said when he flew out to visit her pre-marriage the people in her village all looked up to him --- cos they are all vertically challenged.

He is still reffing, was at Stambridge a few weeks ago. We had a long chat, he married a Mongolian lady from the internet who mashes all his food together like baby food and he tried to give her driving lessons but she didn't quite understand stopping at red lights as she had never seen them before.
He said when he flew out to visit her pre-marriage the people in her village all looked up to him --- cos they are all vertically challenged.

I dont know Dickie personally but I am liking his stories already. Can we get him to sign up to Szone.

Does anyone remember or know the whereabouts of Dawn Cuthbert who would be in her 70's now probably. She was an avid supporter starting in the late 1950's like me, and we used to travel all over watching the Blues, and even did the Manchester derby in the 60's when Bert Trautmann was in goal for City!! I lost touch with her years ago, and would love to know where she is now.

Does anyone remember or know the whereabouts of Dawn Cuthbert who would be in her 70's now probably. She was an avid supporter starting in the late 1950's like me, and we used to travel all over watching the Blues, and even did the Manchester derby in the 60's when Bert Trautmann was in goal for City!! I lost touch with her years ago, and would love to know where she is now.

Did she live in Southbourne Grove area near Chalkwell Park ?

used to live in Leigh Road, not far from Chalkwell park, a tall blonde lady with a big character!

What about the disabled person on those late 70's/early 80's coaches, Chopper. What happened to him?

Deserted Southend in the mid 80's for Millwall as he knew Dave Cusack.

Used to work a the same place as Chopper did but haven't seen him in years. Anyone seen him?

Anyone know whatever happened to Scruffy? Used to be a regular home and away in the 80's but hasn't been seen or heard from in 20 years.

Beat me to it! Sunday football referee too! Must rank as one of the worst too! If you argued decision, he'd often change his mind!! He always walked around the ground selling Bingo tickets. He had a big striding walk IIRC!

Crikey what a name from the past. He had many a joke played on him. Hope is wearing deodrant these days! Could tell you a few stories about him but, would not want to cause myself any embarrassment.

I enjoy threads that look back, and this is a good one - but I think the old threads were better.

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

I am far to young to remember these Tinks ...you will have to give me the gossip tomorrow ..:liar:

Back