• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the first in a new series of where are they now.......southend fans that is

Crikey what a name from the past. He had many a joke played on him. Hope is wearing deodrant these days! Could tell you a few stories about him but, would not want to cause myself any embarrassment.

Tony told me you two were an item before you got married!! ;)

You'll have to tell me a few of the stories tomorrow, I bet he booked Tony at least once!!

Tony told me you two were an item before you got married!! ;)

You'll have to tell me a few of the stories tomorrow, I bet he booked Tony at least once!!

Give me some credit for taste. He thought we were an item I DID'NT. Did go to a county ref dinner with him though once.
Talking of past faces I came across quite a few old photo's the other day, which brought back memories.
Be good if others had old photo's to put them on here.
I would if I knew how

terrific video of Roots Hall in the early days. Really nostalgic and even more so with the imminent move. I'm sure they're still some left.
Can I add 2 names to the list
Argentine Pete. The man with the poster and author of his very own fanzine.
Tony "the builder" Hall. The brains behind WTSSG and the first chairman and guiding light of the reconstituted Supporters Club now the Shrimpers Trust. I always think when I read dept 36 posts that it might be him but am not sure.

Argie Pete!!! He was hilarious!!! With his flag!! Always remember him getting ripped to bits by the Palace fans when we got beaten at Selhurst Park many years back!! And that very day I was with Builder and Co - Dept 36 is correct and he and family now reside in France!!!

Going back to the seventies,when we was in the west country area the coach would pick up a chap in hammersmith he had national health thick rimmed glasses long hippy hair and loads of scarfs hanging off his arms who was this fellow?any ideas

Going back to the seventies,when we was in the west country area the coach would pick up a chap in hammersmith he had national health thick rimmed glasses long hippy hair and loads of scarfs hanging off his arms who was this fellow?any ideas

Better late than never for a reply!. His name was Mark, and he supported Watford before becoming a Blues fan. I believe he came from a wealthy family, but turned his back on them and drifted away. He used to go to many away games, and was a good mate of a guy called Nick from Tilbury, who still comes to games today. We used to call Mark 'the bush', because of his hair!. He was a decent bloke and i remember him being on the 2 weekenders in 1975 the Brothers Grimm ran to Plymouth and Tranmere. He usually wore a black 'donkey jacket'.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but didn`t we lose a Brother Grimm last year or is my memory playing tricks :unsure:[/QUOTE]

Sad to report that Alan passed away whilst in Scotland last year, Peter is still going to home games, he sits in the East Stand Red's.

Re Mark (Basil) he became one of the countries top Groundhoppers, although I have not spoken to him for ten years I understand that he he still around and I'm sure will make a return trip the see us on the new ground!

A typical early-mid 80's coach to an away game would've had:

Spotter (TMWLT)
Ginger Lee
Herman (Paul Kelsey)
Lee Venus (Blueblood)
Lee's mates such as some short bloke who always kept shouting out Rooster (for some obscure reason) and the man with no shoulders
Charlie Benson
Lee (possibly Smith) - who sometimes did a match report on the way home
Nick Alliker and a friend who seemed to wear mascara
Dickie Smith
Me
The Findlay brothers
Rob (QPR fan with ginger hair)
Up the Shrimpers (Tom White)
Mystery Man

Anyone else?

How about shadwell the young welsh asian guy or mad army stuart.

Both probably mid to late 90's

I can see him... Also used to wear an old parker (green coat) , just cant remember his name..

Spotter (TMWLT)
Ginger Lee
Herman (Paul Kelsey)
Lee Venus (Blueblood)
Lee's mates such as some short bloke who always kept shouting out Rooster (for some obscure reason) and the man with no shoulders
Charlie Benson
Lee (possibly Smith) - who sometimes did a match report on the way home
Nick Alliker and a friend who seemed to wear mascara
Dickie Smith
Me
The Findlay brothers
Mystery Man

Anyone else?
Err me..if in the country!

Sad to read about Alan Bushell. Both Alan & Peter were the voice of reason in times that were often completely unreasonable. They must of been appalled by what was said and done. Both good guys deep down and two of the greatest Southend United supporters of all time.

Chopper? Last heard of hanging on the phone to the ticket office trying to buy an East Red for that never-ending Millwall game. I remember being on a coach at Gills. Midweek game and I was maybe 14. There were skirmishes after the match and being a Grimm Bros Production our coach was very mixed in terms of personal. One of the brothers started to count and we were one short. Chopper was missing. Every man woman and child got off the coach to ensure Chopper was ok.

Anyone remember Peterborough Joe?? Great lad, loved a beer and was friends with Ozzie, Joe, Biffo, Steve Waller etc? Would travel to various away games with another blonde guy, from south London with glasses?

One more. Andy Porter? From Basildon.
I last saw him outside Gigg Lane on THAT day. We hugged and said "see you soon"...never did!

Spotter (TMWLT)
Ginger Lee
Herman (Paul Kelsey)
Lee Venus (Blueblood)
Lee's mates such as some short bloke who always kept shouting out Rooster (for some obscure reason) and the man with no shoulders .. The short bloke would've been (and indeed still is !!) Iain Palmer/shrimptank and i'll have the dubious pleasure of taking my seat next to him tomorrow night .. the Rooster bit came from our mate Rodney Le Viscount who jumped ship to Crapton Park around 1990 :facepalm: .. shoulders would've been Dean Allum, still a regular home and away
Charlie Benson
Lee (possibly Smith) - who sometimes did a match report on the way home .. Darryl Smith was a budding journo of the day
Nick Alliker and a friend who seemed to wear mascara Dave .. can't think of his surname but still knocking about at RH and Essex cricket
Dickie Smith
Me
The Findlay brothers
Mystery Man

Anyone else?

Mid to late 80s really Rob ... but anyway obviously we need to add Phil Cox to the list

Back