• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OlvisIII

Coach
Firstly I would like to congratulate the 300-400 fans that travelled to the game yesterday like myself for managing to bear the arctic conditions. We had no protection from the wind and rain - the game seemed to last for 3 hours!!

Just read the inane comments from many supporters who did not attend the game about Maher and Bart. I appreciate not everyone can go to the game, but don't comment on the match after hearing a couple of idiot commentators mouth off about our players. Some comments from somebody who was there.

1. First half we were not particularly impressive in very poor conditions. We didn't chase down an impressive passing team giving them too much space. Second half we were the better team and deserved the equaliser and more. A draw would have been a fair result looking at both halves.

2. Bart did spill the original shot when the goal was scored but Adam Barrett did have a good chance to put the ball out of the ground. He didn't and then marking disappeared leaving Bart with no chance. Previous to this he had made a number of first class saves to keep us in the game and made an excellent double save in the second half. Conditions were awful for keepers, although his kicking was not great. To singlew him out for criticism is very harsh and I for one thought he did a good job yesterday.

3. Referee managed to book 8 players yesterday and there was only two bad tackles in the game. One by a yeovil player in last few minutes, the other by Bentley. Maher's first yellow was a joke. The smallest player on the pitch bends down to head the ball - Maher had every right to go for the ball. He tried to get in front of the guy charging forward and you could argue a yellow card for the 2nd, but you could equally argue there was plenty of cover. Either way it was a harsh sending off. The Bart out of the box decision summed up the ability of the ref. When he blew up and thought that he was going to send him off especially when he pointed at Griemnk to come over. Bart walked off and so the ref let him off. Poor referee.

4. Maher was outstanding, especially in the 2nd half. He did not give the ball away all game - something that Bentley and Eastwood in particular need to observe. They did score after the decision, but there were 9 defenders in the box. There didn't seem to be any challenges coming in. It did not help the situation, but you cannot blame the goals being conceded on Maher himself.

5. I went away from the game disappointed that we had lost, but secure in the knowledge that we competed with one of the best teams in the division. Bring on Grimsby, results were not terrible yesterday so still in the playoffs!!

Keep the faith

At last a voice of sanity! Excellent summary and I couldn't have put it better myself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ Nov. 21 2004,15:46)]Bring on Grimsby
Just had a little nose at Grimsby's rivals board, and despite the fact they won yesterday, the fans are really bemused at the performance yesterday and recently. They're supposedly playing really badly and they say it's the worst team they've had in years. Good good.
laugh.gif

Back