• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AJA

The Hartlepool game/ The Goat - a visitor’s view.

I am finally back home.

Great game, result and atmosphere for my first visit to Southend!

Goater didn’t get his hat trick; but the team did.

The first impression;-
A) Parking and traffic to the game is a big problem, but we were just happy to be there. We only got 30 minutes in the Spread Eagle.

B) The Stadium staff are excellent; they could not been more helpful even to an ignorant visitor like me.
Staff MVP; the guy in the shop who printed up my kids Goater shirts after realizing that I was only in the country for the game day match.
Pregame Fan MVP; - thanks to honest fan who found, picked up and returned my tickets while I was buying shirts.
One hic-cup, please don’t send tickets outside of the UK five days before the match; I still have not seen them.

C) Scare of the game (and it was not a Hartlepool striker); nearly getting knocked down by a fast moving VIP car in the VIP parking lot. Buddy slow down will ya!

The game impression;-
A) Defense and Goalkeeper looked very strong as a unit. Strikers looked dangerous when being given through balls. Mid-field was okay, but lost ideas for long periods.
B) The three A+ players on the day, I felt, were Eastwood, Sodje and Flahavan.
C) The Goat is class (sorry I’m bias here, but the old guys behind me said it to each other also, and I agree).
D) The ref and lineman (on the east side) in the first half were a disgrace, but both improved in the second half.
E) Best goal; Eastwoods angled shot near the south stand; I couldn’t believe it went in. Amazing bit of running there Freddy!
F) Best non goal; Goater’s in the first half; the goal looked good to me.
G) Best play by Hartlepool; the warm ups.

The Goats Notes;-
I thought Shawn had excellent touches on the ball, but slowed down in the last 15 minutes of each half. I think he is either not yet fit or age is creeping in a little. I believe as mentioned many times in this forum that Goater plays better with the ball at his feet, I agree with this. I am sure at Whitney as a school boy before playing for North Village and Manchester United, Goater played in midfield, maybe this is why he likes the ball at his feet.

The Fans and Stadium impression;-
A) Best fan atmosphere is the East stand with the South stand a close second.
B) Loudest group-the lads in the South stand in the light blue shirts with funky names on them, they were in the Spread Eagle before hand watching the Liverpool vs Everton game (how did Everton lose that game?) I wish to sit near those guys next time.
C) Tribute award- The Paul Holland flag. Nice one guys.
D) Best away fan; the guy in the Celtic shirt. (I think he was at the wrong game). He was the only one still singing after the three goals.
E) Overall the day was better that I expected. I just wish I would have heard the Feed the Goat song but the atmosphere was excellent.

A note of probably only of interest to me;-
It was good to see two Bermuda flags about 2 rows in front of me with 6 fellows cheering on the Goat. I spoke with one fan on a day trip from London. Seeing the flags makes you feel at home. I am sure Shawn feels that way too. Well done.

My Predictions;-

A) Freddy Eastwood will be playing for a mid-table Premier$hite team within two years.
B) You will call him Sir Shawn Goater in five years.
C) Southend will be upper mid-table this time next year.

Thanks to the Shrimpers and Southend for a great weekend to remember. I will try and come back with the family next time.

Regards

AJA

P.S. The kids love the shirts.
smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

PM me if you want me to bring over any shirts in the future...
wink.gif

Cool post. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Of course when you say we will be upper-mid table this time next year, you mean in the Championship, right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Mar. 28 2006,13:47)]Cool post.  Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Of course when you say we will be upper-mid table this time next year, you mean in the Championship, right?
Championship- of course

Pleased you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully you will return to see Southend in a few years at Fossetts farm even though the goat would have been long retired
wink.gif

Always nice to hear from new visitors to the Hall, and glad you had a good time AJA. Thanks for the report.

smile.gif
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpersarmy @ Mar. 28 2006,14:56)]Pleased you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully you will return to see Southend in a few years at Fossetts farm even though the goat would have been long retired  
wink.gif
By the time FF is built, even Franck Moussa will have long retired having played on to his 37th year!!!

wink.gif

When is the new stadium being built? Hopefully it has better parking than Roots Hall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AJA @ Mar. 28 2006,23:36)]When is the new stadium being built? Hopefully it has better parking than Roots Hall.
Glad you enjoyed the game.

New stadium, who knows at least 3 to 4 years away probably longer, maybe never!!!

Parking may be a problem at Roots Hall but in general it is much easier to get away from 'old' grounds like ours because the traffic & fans can go in many directions. Most new grounds that are built may have bigger car parks, but it can take ages to get out of some of them as most seem to only have one way in and one way out.

Very good point about leaving the stadium; it was a very easy to exit out, Up the Shrimp. My mate went to school across the street from the Stadium so he knew the back routes when leaving.

I guess with the excitement of getting to the game, it seemed like ages waiting in traffic to first get to Southend and then second to find a parking place.

It’s grim up north! – The kids have not taken the shirts off except to go to bed. It’s a bit of a thing to have the number 9 shirt over here, as you can imagine.

And of course when you say Freddy will be playing for a mid-table Premier$hite team within 2 years, you mean us, right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (maldonblue @ Mar. 29 2006,17:45)]And of course when you say Freddy will be playing for a mid-table Premier$hite team within 2 years, you mean us, right?
I really thought Freddy was quite a talent with an amazing engine, the star of the show. I feel he could play regularly on a good Premier$hite team. He should play in the Premier$hite soon as the speed side of a striker slips away quickly.

If the Tilly or the Board wishes to pay him the funds he deserves as the star then he will stay. They may wish to cash in on him to buy other players or help finance a new stadium, that is an option for the club. I know you don’t wish to hear this but it is the business of it, MaldonBlue.

The best-case scenario would be for Southend to be to promoted to the Premier$hite next year with Freddy. Sounds like a long shot but did you really believe the Shrimpers where going to get promoted this year at the start of the season.

To answer your question, Yes, I meant with Southend in two years.

Well, one thing is pretty certain and that is that Fredy is a fantastic player with the ability to play at a much higher level, and i dont think that will be with southend. So, when the time is right, we will cash in on Freddy and it will be good money!

Oh, and no i probably didnt think we would get promoted at the start of the season (and at the back of my mind there are still a few doubts!!) but i had every confidence that we were good enough to stay in this division and honestly thought we could push for a top-ten finish!

Nice to get a first comers point of view of our beloved Hall.
Wonder what they'll make of the new ground
rock.gif

Back