• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Westcliff Shrimper

Director of Footballs⭐
Hello all,

First comment about the game. Groundhog Day. Played ok for 90 minutes - players blowing out of their backsides in extra time. The first goal scored was always going to be the clincher. Super Cheese - what was he doing?

However, the purpose of this topic is to describe the train journey - which turned yesterday into the longest day.

Train arrived at Benfleet ON TIME ! ! When you commute into London, this is not a regular thing... So far, so good.

Slight delay at Acton, and just before the boarder, hence reached Cardiff Central half an hour late. Not the end of the world, still able to get a couple of pints in with TommyTwoHoles, Mrs TTH, and Mrs CI-City Blue.... So far, so good.

After the game, we had just under an hour until the scheduled departure at 17.40 - so the Chippy called, and double saveloy and chips was purchased. Slow wander back to the station, and started queuing for the train at the desiganted point. Announcement that the train would be delayed due to unspecified problem. Finally boarded and left at 18.20

Time after this point speeded up and slowed down - the train sped along, the train stopped. The group next to us discovered the lyrics to the Freddy Eastwood song (to Papa's got a new pigbag) - and sang it three hundred times. We went through Birmingham New Street.

Yes, Birmingham New Street. So far from home.

The train got stuck on a bank. Another loco had to push us up it. The train stopped again.

Finally pulled into Benfleet at 1.10 in the morning. A full 18 hours since I parked the car in Benfleet Car Park. Very tired, Mrs CI-City Blue on the verge of never talking to me again as I talked her into going this year as she didn't go last year.

Who to blame? Well, not the club, as they simply put the trains on - they didn't run them. A combination of Network Rail and EWS would be more to blame, but who to complain to?

Note to Tilly: Please, please, please, please, please get us Automatic Promotion..... I don't think I could stand another trip to Cardiff ! !

P.s. Still wouldn't go on a coach though.....
wink.gif

CI-City Blue
News at 2.25
Canvey

Time for a nap....
cool.gif

Please don't get me on my soap box again about the big cover up about trains routes.

mad.gif

you should blame the club
why on earth did they rent out trains that were used in WWII for evacuations..
they were awful
luckily i was home by half 11 after leaving cardiff at 6.25 for the paddington train
how was the pie and mash they served?
tounge.gif

That train journey must have been going for a worlds worst record, and I think it got it. We had a quick count up and came to the conclusion that each train took something like 40k in fares, good value for money.
Please could every one who can write to our commercial dept to try and get some money back from these poxy train companies. At the end I was waiting for Jeremy Beadle to jump out of the drivers cab, if he had I wouldn't have laughed I would have kicked his gonads up inside himself....

Did anybody see Michael Palin
rock.gif

I believe he was doing research for the next series of Greatest Train Journneys
biggrin.gif

I was on the first out/last back train and was wondering how the Southend taxi service coped in the early hours of a monday morning with 3 trainloads of people descending on Southend Central at much the same time. I had a horrible vision of the last couple of miles taking much the same time as the train journey and jumped off at Benfleet and got a taxi pretty quickly.

my old man & bruv (4thman) were on the first out last in sounds like a horrific journey makes me feel a little bad for calling them at 7 saying just had a swim & a sauna to calm me down a bit (was feeling so ****ed off wanted to hit something or someone but didnt and the swim helped a lot) had a nice drive back today left about 945 and got home to tunbridge wells about 1.

Glad you made it back.When we saw that train pull in we thought they might be taking it the scrap yard, couldnt believe it when southend fans started getting on it, when we stopped laughing we did become quite concerned for our fellow blues.I thought you might not make it back.

The delay in getting home was depressing everyone in my carriage (D) but it was suicidal when the depressing bloke on the tannoy started to ramble !

was anyone asked for their ticket ? did anyone get their designated seat ? the stewards were feckin useless. they made sure they all got sat together and never moved for the rest of the journey.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (romany_blues @ April 11 2005,18:25)]The delay in getting home was depressing everyone in my carriage (D) but it was suicidal when the depressing bloke on the tannoy started to ramble !
I was in carriage D - what seat were you in?

And I thought being an the train to Paddington with hundreds more people than there should've been was bad!
wink.gif

I got off easily in comparison!

Back