• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If it was not for him........you would not be reading this post mate

Tim Berners Lee? Inventor the the internet?

BTW, are we not forgetting the most important Englishmen on the planet at the moment?

stevetilson.jpeg

_39374986_brushnew203.jpg

ronmartin.jpg

Last edited:
Tim Berners Lee?

Yes young man

Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee OM KBE FRS FREng FRSA (born June 8, 1955) is an English developer who invented the World Wide Web in March 1989. With the help of Robert Cailliau, and a young student staff at CERN, he implemented his invention in 1990, with the first successful communication between a client and server via the Internet on December 25, 1990. He is also the director of the World Wide Web Consortium or W3C (which oversees its continued development), and a senior researcher and holder of the 3Com Founders Chair at the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory

Yes young man

Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee OM KBE FRS FREng FRSA (born June 8, 1955) is an English developer who invented the World Wide Web in March 1989. With the help of Robert Cailliau, and a young student staff at CERN, he implemented his invention in 1990, with the first successful communication between a client and server via the Internet on December 25, 1990. He is also the director of the World Wide Web Consortium or W3C (which oversees its continued development), and a senior researcher and holder of the 3Com Founders Chair at the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory

Indeed, invented by an Englishman...living abroad.

Just some of the long list of English Inventions/Discoveries

Adjustable spanner
Bouncing bomb
Cat's eye (road)
Cat flap
Clockwork radio
Davy lamp
Electrical generator
Fire extinguisher
Hovercraft
Jet engine
Lawn mower
Lifeboat (rescue)
Linear motor
Newtonian telescope
Rubber band
Sewing machine
Slide rule
Spinning jenny
Stainless steel
Stephenson's Rocket
Tank
Tarmac
Vacuum cleaner
World Wide Web
Also the concept of Mechanized warfare also known as The Blitzkrege (oh the irony)

Tim Berners Lee? Inventor the the internet?

Not to be picky, but it was the US Military that invented the Internet sorry ARPANet.
They then asked the Education establishments of the US to help develop it further.

As Aberdeen Shrimpers posted Tim Berners Lee just invented the World Wide Web, that allowed more graphical orientated sites to now exist.

Last edited:
Not to be picky, but it was the US Military that invented the Internet sorry ARPANet, it was built to withstand a nuclear war.

They then asked the Education establishments of the US to help develop it further.

As Aberdeen Shrimpers posted Tim Berners Lee just invented the World Wide Web, that allowed more graphical orientated sites to now exist.

Surely it was Al Gore, who also invented global warming and President Bush II.

Not to be picky, but it was the US Military that invented the Internet sorry ARPANet, it was built to withstand a nuclear war.

I thought that was the case....was it not born out of the communications network they set up during the Vietnam conflict???

If i should die,think only this of me,that theres some corner of a foreign field that is forever England.
RUPERT BROOK 1914

If i should die,think only this of me,that theres some corner of a foreign field that is forever England.
RUPERT BROOK 1914

From a great poem called The Soldier. This is the full version:

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

Back