• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Did anyone else think he was out of his depth on Saturday?

I did. He got suckered into a few decisions, but for me they weren't so bad. Any matter of opinion can be argued both ways.

For me the issue was his inconsistency. He allowed one Sansea player to kick the ball away without punishment. A few minutes later he then booked a Swansea player for kicking the ball away. A few minutes after that another Swansea player did it again, and the ref (to quote someone sitting next to me) did his best to pretend he hadn't seen it. Needless to say this player also got away with it.

He also allowed Trundle to do his laces up right in front of Bart when he was trying to take a goal kick, and then had a go at Bart for time wasting! A few minutes later Akinfenwa tried the same thing, but at least the ref had a go at him!

Also, from the time of the second goal he was constantly telling their goalkeeper to hurry up, and finally lost his patience with about 5 minutes to go. What did he do? He ran over to the 'keeper and told him to hurry up!

But what really irked me was that he only added on 3 minutes at the end of the match. This was the same as the first half, after 5 substitutions (30 seconds each) and all the time he had a go at people for time wasting. And to cap it all he actually only added on two and three quarter of those 3 minutes. (Call me anal, but I had a stop watch on it.)

Did someone on here say this was his first league one match? It showed.

what really irked me was that all those Premier refs were sitting around doing nothing at the weekend and we got lumbered with this guy who had no "big match" experience.

I know where you are coming from but what I really want to know is why the ref didn't put a few tackles into Trundle to show Barrett how it is done.
biggrin.gif

I don't think you can blame the ref for the performance except missing the shocking challenge on our lord and master.

At least he had two great linesman. Very impressed.

Oh and sitting with a stopwatch ? You ANAL *******.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 14 2005,08:36)]I don't think you can blame the ref for the performance except missing the shocking challenge on our lord and master.
I'm not blaming the ref for our performance. I'm just asking if anyone else thought he was out of his depth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 14 2005,08:36)]I know where you are coming from but what I really want to know is why the ref didn't put a few tackles into Trundle to show Barrett how it is done.
biggrin.gif
The problem was that one of the challenges he got suckered in to led to a very harsh booking for Barrett after a couple of minutes.

From then on he was walking a tight rope and couldn't put in any proper challenges just in case he got sent off.

Tbh the ref was sh!te, but no worse than any of the others we've had this season already. At the end of the day we could have had collina but we would still have played crap! It weren't the refs fault we lost.
I do think the standard of reffing is rubbish but you tend to notice it more when you play crap.
down.gif

what i want to no is why barrett got booked, it was a 50-50 challenge from i was sitting in the east and was intitled to for the ball

Thought he was very poor:

- missed the "straight red" tackle on Cole early on (have a look at the photo on the official site, is an absolute shocker)  which set the tone for Swansea's physical approach and the booking of Barrett to calm things down (which then meant AB couldn't dive in on Trundle);

- missed the elbow on Maher (probably not deliberate but a definte booking); and

- neither of the free kicks which led to Swansea's goals were fouls (although our subsequent defending was woeful so this shouldn't have been an issue).

So, four key decisions and he got the lot wrong.  Putting these decisions aside, and his complete inability to keep time, I thought he was excellent  
laugh.gif

Not his fault I guess, first league game and all that.   But what the bloody hell were the morons at the Football League doing putting a complete novice in charge of the biggest game in England on Saturday.  Beggers belief but at the same time not surprising.

I thought he was OK considering it was his first game. Ridiculously booked Barrett (and I gather he also booked Bentley during the celebrations for the goal, anyone see it?) but that aside he did pretty well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Nov. 14 2005,13:20)]Thought he was very poor:

- missed the "straight red" tackle on Cole early on (have a look at the photo on the official site, is an absolute shocker)  which set the tone for Swansea's physical approach and the booking of Barrett to calm things down (which then meant AB couldn't dive in on Trundle);

- missed the elbow on Maher (probably not deliberate but a definte booking); and

- neither of the free kicks which led to Swansea's goals were fouls (although our subsequent defending was woeful so this shouldn't have been an issue).

So, four key decisions and he got the lot wrong.  Putting these decisions aside, and his complete inability to keep time, I thought he was excellent  
laugh.gif

Not his fault I guess, first league game and all that.   But what the bloody hell were the morons at the Football League doing putting a complete novice in charge of the biggest game in England on Saturday.  Beggers belief but at the same time not surprising.
I think i am right in saying that the bloke (Tate) who two footed Cole was the same player who elbowed Maher. Now i am not saying the elbow was deliberate, but it was dangerous as Maher's subsequent 10 minutes or so absence proved, and therefore merited a booking.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Nov. 14 2005,15:54)]I thought he was OK considering it was his first game. Ridiculously booked Barrett (and I gather he also booked Bentley during the celebrations for the goal, anyone see it?) but that aside he did pretty well.
Did see Bentley get booked and was totally bluffed as to why!!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Nov. 14 2005,15:54)]I thought he was OK considering it was his first game. Ridiculously booked Barrett (and I gather he also booked Bentley during the celebrations for the goal, anyone see it?) but that aside he did pretty well.
Bentley was booked for scuffling with a defender to try to take the ball back to the centre circle.

It was not his first game (even the referee appointment people would not be so crass); it was merely his first game at that level.

He was better than I was expecting and I would have rated him just the wrong side of satisfactory. (i.e. a better rating than many of his more experienced predescessors.)

A few things wrong. A very poor booking for Barratt and inadequate time added on were probably the most glaring. I really don't think we can blame our defeat on him at all.

Attention now moves on to Keith Hill at Forest. He of course has done loads of games at this level and is bound to be much better, isn't he?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Nov. 14 2005,17:04)]
[b said:
Bentley was booked for scuffling with a defender to try to take the ball back to the centre circle.

It was not his first game (even the referee appointment people would not be so crass); it was merely his first game at that level.

He was better than I was expecting and I would have rated him just the wrong side of satisfactory. (i.e. a better rating than many of his more experienced predescessors.)

A few things wrong. A very poor booking for Barratt and inadequate time added on were probably the most glaring. I really don't think we can blame our defeat on him at all.

Attention now moves on to Keith Hill at Forest. He of course has done loads of games at this level and is bound to be much better, isn't he?
100% agreement. I also was expecting the worst, but apart from his picky bookings I thought he performed a lot better than we have come to expect.

As for the linesman on the west side of the ground.
I can only assume he was the one from Col******r.
mad.gif

[b said:
Beno was trying to get the ball back and the swansea player just kept blocking his path, even when the swansea kepper gave the ball back the swansea player just moved into his path and blocked him, which Beno just pushed him out the way and the ref booked both players

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Nov. 14 2005,17:09)]As for the linesman on the west side of the ground.
I can only assume he was the one from Col******r.
mad.gif
I think you'll find he was the one from Ilford actually.

Back