• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The second greatest single moment in your Blues lifetime?

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Obviously the first has to be Brett Angell's goal to beat the scum 1-0, but what is the second greatest?

I think mine would have to be beating Gillingham 1-0 in the league cup with the best crafted goal I've ever seen.

I think it was Adrian Clarke who swung in a carefully measured corner, craftily putting it nowhere near any of our players. Two Gills rose like salmons towards the ball and with great power managed to meet each other's foreheads, knocking each out cold, whilst at the same time precisely looping the ball into the top corner. Beautiful. It was as if the worlds of poetry and football combined for one glorious moment.

As the two Gills players came round, with the ball nestling in the back of their net for the only goal of the game, the realisation dawned upon the stricken pair and their management that they had already used up two of their subs and would have to finish off the game with 10 men.

Football doesn't get better than that (apart from obviously beating Wet Sham in the league).

Beating Brighton 3-2 in the league cup. Hunt with a beauty from the edge of the area.

Trailing 1-0 with just four minutes on the clock, the Blues turned the game on its head with goals from Billy Paynter, Lewis Hunt and Freddy Eastwood.

Dunno, this one is harder - great shout btw for Goater's substitution in his final game on the other thread, I've been at a few promotion parties at Roots Hall (wasn't at Bury) but were these better than Freddy's goal against the Mancs or even Clarkey's goal at Stamford Bridge?

2005-play-off-final_493897.jpg

EDIT: What, we have a first and a second? Right, ^ that's my first.

Last edited:
Either:

Jonny Hunt equalising against table-topping Crystal Palace when we were in what is now the Championship. I almost fainted with joy.

Or:

Tes Bramble's bicycle-kick winner in the 86th minute against Luton in the FA Cup after they'd drawn level with Brkovic committing the most blatant handball I have ever witnessed in football by punching the ball into the net.

Or:

Simon Brown being nutmegged (by Tes, again) to see us go 3-1 up against the Scum, LDV Southern Area Final, first leg.

Or:

Mark Gower's wonder goal at the Mem to put us 2-1 up against the Gas, LDV Southern Are Final, first leg.

Or

Our 2nd half display against Yeovil, 27 September 2005.

They're all 2nd equal.

:)

Living in Swansea at the time, it has to be Mark Warren's goal to put 8 man Southend 3-1 up against Swansea, AT Swansea.

Moments like that just don't come every day, more bragging rights than a Col Ewe supporter whos parents aren't blood relatives!

Living in Swansea at the time, it has to be Mark Warren's goal to put 8 man Southend 3-1 up against Swansea, AT Swansea.

Moments like that just don't come every day, more bragging rights than a Col Ewe supporter whos parents aren't blood relatives!

Beaten to it - this was the second thing that popped into my head (after beating the hamsters of course)...

A couple of men down, but a goal up, bringing on a defender to allegedly tighten up at the back and defend the slender lead - it must have been a cunning plan to lull the Swans into a false sense of security. Seeing the extra defensive cover hammering the ball home to extend the lead summed up to me what being a Southend fan is all about...

absolute no brainer . . . . .

Benji scoring at Bury to win us promotion to the 2nd tier of English football for the 1st time !!

i've watched us beat Spurs, Man Utd and draw against Liverpool, but without a shadow of a doubt, the Bury match was the pinnacle by a country mile

Al

Back