• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We probably have the strongest squad we can afford.
What you mean to say is 'lets go and spend money we haven't got and end up in the crap again like we did 4 years ago'
I don't think we do have the strongest squad we could afford. Hurst's wages could definately be better spent elsewhere, the same could probably be said for a few other players as well e.g Prosser and Deegan.

Just like to mention that analysis I read about the KEY most significant factor that won premiership teams the league was not an opinion of mine but factually based on evidencing the outcomes of league position . The analysis clearly showed that the teams that won the Premiership nearly always got in early , over other teams, for the players they wanted to add to the squad and also achieved an early settled squad. That way they also didn't miss out on the players they really wanted, beating others to it!
I put this out there as an interesting concept for members to consider and it related to a sense at the time that for no doubt many reasons , our club tended to leave it late to strengthen the squad. I accept this research related purely to the Premiership. However I have never heard a Manager state that they like to leave it as Late as possible to get new players in There is one exception of course when some Managers acknowledge in the lower leagues they like to gamble and bargain hunt for that one last good deal. Indeed that is exactly what Justin Edinburgh said recently , although already having established his main new signings.

thing is we're so different from a side at the top of the Prem.
They for one are at, or very near, the top of the tree in the entire world. We're not even the biggest club in Essex taking say league position for the last three years for example. there are also plenty bigger teams in this league and we have to wait until they're finished feasting before we can look at scrounging from crumbs

also, top clubs have a lot of money. we don't.

i'm not saying that i'm against getting all of our transfer business done early, i'm sure that would be fine, just that the worlds are very different and what wins the prem might not necessarily be applicable down the lower leagues

Pre season has vital importance for team bonding and getting to understand the managers ideas.We however often do not partake in such tried and proven formula,ok to add to any squad but the nucleus must be in place before a ball is kicked.

In an ideal world, yes...but players have every right to hang out to the last minute to see what offers are on the table. Pigott wanted to see whether he was in Charlton's plans. Hunt had offers from the USA (??). McLaughlin wanted to see if Forest wanted him etc etc. If you want the better players you have to be patient. The alternative is to offer them stacks of cash early on...which we haven't got. Plus, players will only consider loans at the last minute, if their permanent offers don't materialise (Rea, O'Neill etc). I'm sorry, but this latest attempt at critising PB's management style with a simplistic solution hasn't worked in my opinion.

Nope, it's been done for this season, and it was also done last season. I just haven't seen it advertised anywhere. We always get poster copies of the team photo for our Junior Blues members, which they pick up at our exclusive Meet the Players Day. Definitely been done.

Been done for this season it may have been. Easily found on the official Club web site or on the shop it ain't!! Once upon a time the Echo used to reproduce the team photo but I haven't seen it this year so far. Chis Phillips - If you're paying SZ a visit this weekend, any thoughts??

Back