• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Umbongo

Do you think the Chairman will get the current embargo on SUFC lifted this week?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 192 81.7%
  • Bart. (who cares about another relegation anyway)?

Votes: 12 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't believe that anyone on here, or Ron for that matter, is even half contemplating bringing Ranger back. It really doesn't matter where we are in the division Ranger is just not the answer as he just can't help himself when he makes it go tits up, and it will if we are foolish enough to ask him in.

Just like to say thank **** that thing been lifted! I'm hoping will turn the corner from now on.

I can't believe that anyone on here, or Ron for that matter, is even half contemplating bringing Ranger back. It really doesn't matter where we are in the division Ranger is just not the answer as he just can't help himself when he makes it go tits up, and it will if we are foolish enough to ask him in.

I get the argument that he’s been a disruptive influence wherever he’s been. But wasn’t his release here due to poor timekeeping? Or was that a smokescreen?

All I’ll ask is say we were in a position where we had 5 games left of the season and we needed 3 wins from 5 to stay up - who would you rather have up front - Nile Ranger or Brandon Goodship?

Please, no, no, Ranger has messed up too many times, he is nothing special anyway, didn't exactly bust a gut when he played for us and he only scored the odd goal, no thanks.

Agreed, for me if we’re going to take a punt on a former (seriously) flawed genius I’d go with Mohsni. I’d rather neither though, both rumours smack of Ron chasing publicity.

I get the argument that he’s been a disruptive influence wherever he’s been. But wasn’t his release here due to poor timekeeping? Or was that a smokescreen?

All I’ll ask is say we were in a position where we had 5 games left of the season and we needed 3 wins from 5 to stay up - who would you rather have up front - Nile Ranger or Brandon Goodship?

The timekeeping might have ultimately been why he left but don’t forget he also failed a drugs test and was jailed for conning vulnerable old people. We stood by him then he couldn’t be arsed to turn up on time, yet some still think he should return....... it’s a big fat NO from me.

Agreed, for me if we’re going to take a punt on a former (seriously) flawed genius I’d go with Mohsni. I’d rather neither though, both rumours smack of Ron chasing publicity.
As did the signing of Macca for which he was ridiculed- too old can’t last 90 mins et al. We just have to trust MM to determine whether they are the right way to go at this time. If he think either are then you would expect he is a better judge than us (hopefully)

I can't believe anyone is considering allowing Ranger back. How low have we fallen?

If it's true and Molesley will be backed in January, there are a lot of clubs struggling financially at the moment. There will be far better options than someone who disrupts what team spirit we have managed to build back up after the catastrophic last few years.

I can't believe anyone is considering allowing Ranger back. How low have we fallen?

If it's true and Molesley will be backed in January, there are a lot of clubs struggling financially at the moment. There will be far better options than someone who disrupts what team spirit we have managed to build back up after the catastrophic last few years.

If there’s better options that will sign for us and be happy to give their all in a League Two relegation battle then of course I’d prioritise those players over Nile Ranger. But I’d imagine our current league standing and failure to pay people on time, being in and out of court etc, will make attracting such players difficult.

People saying “how far have we fallen if we’re considering offering Ranger another chance?”, well in my opinion pretty bloody far. We’re bottom of League Two and have won 2 games all season. We desperately need a striker to make it stick up top, grab a few goals and bring our midfield (strongest part of the side) into play.

Would I normally consider Ranger? No. But he’s got talent far beyond League Two, feels like he owes Southend a debt (which he does) and would probably play for free. We could take him on a rolling 1 week contract or something similar and get rid if there was the slightest of wrong moves.

If there’s better options that will sign for us and be happy to give their all in a League Two relegation battle then of course I’d prioritise those players over Nile Ranger. But I’d imagine our current league standing and failure to pay people on time, being in and out of court etc, will make attracting such players difficult.

People saying “how far have we fallen if we’re considering offering Ranger another chance?”, well in my opinion pretty bloody far. We’re bottom of League Two and have won 2 games all season. We desperately need a striker to make it stick up top, grab a few goals and bring our midfield (strongest part of the side) into play.

Would I normally consider Ranger? No. But he’s got talent far beyond League Two, feels like he owes Southend a debt (which he does) and would probably play for free. We could take him on a rolling 1 week contract or something similar and get rid if there was the slightest of wrong moves.

I understand what you are saying, but there are plenty of players without clubs still, and I doubt they would be that bothered about our court appearances (we've always paid).

Regarding salaries, weren't the last ones that were missed due to admin errors (therefore when we were actually late, due to funds?), and the fact we have drastically reduced our wage bill, helps as well.

I understand what you are saying, but there are plenty of players without clubs still, and I doubt they would be that bothered about our court appearances (we've always paid).

Regarding salaries, weren't the last ones that were missed due to admin errors (therefore when we were actually late, due to funds?), and the fact we have drastically reduced our wage bill, helps as well.

Yeah there are unprecedented numbers of players available at the moment so it will certainly be interesting to see who may be interested in coming in. I think we’ve done really well to get Olayinka and it’s gonna be a struggle to keep hold of him in January. Any scout watching will have identified him as our best player and I think he could easily play League One. Fingers crossed we get a loan done to keep him here as until we sign a striker he’s the best chance we have of a goal either directly or indirectly.

Yeah there are unprecedented numbers of players available at the moment so it will certainly be interesting to see who may be interested in coming in. I think we’ve done really well to get Olayinka and it’s gonna be a struggle to keep hold of him in January. Any scout watching will have identified him as our best player and I think he could easily play League One. Fingers crossed we get a loan done to keep him here as until we sign a striker he’s the best chance we have of a goal either directly or indirectly.
The other thing to consider here is that an awful lot of clubs are struggling even with the bailout, If we can splash some cash about we might end up with players we wouldn't normally expect to have a chance of getting in our position.

There could well be some firesales coming up from an awful lot of clubs

I wonder how much of the £250k we have left as presumably Ron used some of it to pay off debts to lift the embargo. With matches coming thick and fast we have a bit more income from the EFL annual, funds being released by Lloyds, although this has all gone quiet, and a little bit more from 2000 fans at home games
We also wait on the next tranche of £15m to be handed out based on this years and last years gate receipts formula to help keep us afloat? Interesting to see if any funds get invested as he ground progresses. Already overdue another Ron update, Would add to the brighter picture if he could bring himself to outline some of the above issues in more detail

Do any of the in the know posters know what happened to the experienced striker who was training with us?

For Ron's various faults he has stood by various players - Hall, Timlin, Ranger et al. Of course the payback sometimes comes, sometimes doesn't.
Hart as well ,did he come back the same way kept in touch with Ron

Ranger was what started the derailment the first time around, no no no and no again. He'll be motivated for us as long as he's not distracted, which is no time at all!
Maybe ,but I think more of the financial side the way we paid players

I'm sure people would have said the same about a 37 year old Alan McCormack but yesterday shows that class is permanent

Back