• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There not another........

Lester Bangs

Manager
There's not another........

Saturday league home game until the 12th December which in my opinion is ridiculous.

I know the whole Friday night versus Saturday afternoon argument has been done to death but I'm pretty disappointed that the club has swung so much in favour of hosting games on a Friday night instead of Saturday afternoons.

Could there not be a happy medium between the two? As someone who finds it fairly difficult to get to Friday night games it has almost put me off the idea of rushing down to Southend on a Friday night. As it is I have to work a shorter lunch break on a Friday if I have any chance of making kick off which means getting permission from my boss (who's a **** and takes a dim view to this sort of thing).

Edit: I know that there is the possibility of a FA cup game in November but even so I still think its unreasonable that there's the possibility of almost 2 months without a Saturday home gome.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a pain in the arse. I can't get home for a friday game without taking leave. Selfishly, I'm hoping for more saturday matches in the second half of the season.

I thought all the games that had been switched to Fridays were done so at the request of the Police. I suppose it was unlucky that all the 'high' profile matches are early in the season.

I thought all the games that had been switched to Fridays were done so at the request of the Police. I suppose it was unlucky that all the 'high' profile matches are early in the season.

No, not so. Some were and some were at the request of the other club - I believe Soton was one of those and Gills is one of the police requests.

Saturday league home game until the 12th December which in my opinion is ridiculous.

I know the whole Friday night versus Saturday afternoon argument has been done to death but I'm pretty disappointed that the club has swung so much in favour of hosting games on a Friday night instead of Saturday afternoons.

Could there not be a happy medium between the two? As someone who finds it fairly difficult to get to Friday night games it has almost put me off the idea of rushing down to Southend on a Friday night. As it is I have to work a shorter lunch break on a Friday if I have any chance of making kick off which means getting permission from my boss (who's a **** and takes a dim view to this sort of thing).

Edit: I know that there is the possibility of a FA cup game in November but even so I still think its unreasonable that there's the possibility of almost 2 months without a Saturday home gome.

So over the next 8 Saturdays we have 3 away games (including one of our nearest and our furthest), 1 home Saturday, 2 home Fridays and hopefully 2 Cup games which could even both be at home on Saturdays. Not a bad mix.

No, not so. Some were and some were at the request of the other club - I believe Soton was one of those and Gills is one of the police requests.

I think, with the agreement of the other club rather than at the request of. I think you'll find we initialled contacted all the clubs to sound them out and those who we are playing Fridays agreed. The police issue, I suspect, just relates to Millwall and Leeds despite suggestions to the contrary.

to be fair, there are only 3 home league up to that date anyway and one of them was always scheduled to be a midweeker. there are two free FA cup weekends in that period ...

as for switching the other games, IIRC two have been switched to avoid clashes with England games

I think, with the agreement of the other club rather than at the request of. I think you'll find we initialled contacted all the clubs to sound them out and those who we are playing Fridays agreed. The police issue, I suspect, just relates to Millwall and Leeds despite suggestions to the contrary.
I have no doubt that we sent a circular round to see who might be interested, but my understanding was that certain of the switches were due to internationals on the Saturday, some at the request of the opposition and some at the request of the police.

I have no doubt that we sent a circular round to see who might be interested, but my understanding was that certain of the switches were due to internationals on the Saturday, some at the request of the opposition and some at the request of the police.

If that was the case why are we generally the only match that's changed?

Friday night games are ******** and I hope this backfires on the club. Football should be played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Also I can't understand why we've come a hooligan magnet. Leeds and Millwall play Saturday afternoons. Is it Essex police massively over-reacting?

I mean MK Dons on a Friday night? WTF is all that about?

Last edited:
If that was the case why are we generally the only match that's changed?

Friday night games are ******** and I hope this backfires on the club. Football should be played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

But it never will be as many matches are changed at the behest of TV Companies or the OB.

While I understand many supporters annoyance and antipathy towards Friday night games they've in the past been a mainstay for the club. I am also sure that when most games were switched back to Saturday's in the early 90's, many fans were disappointed and as a consequence attendances fell.

Ah, the mantra churned out by those for whom Friday nights are inconvenient. Southend have a fine history of Friday night football going back decades. As it is you've still got twice as many Saturday games as Friday matches. What do you mean by you hope it backfires on the club? What do you want to happen?

So over the next 8 Saturdays we have 3 away games (including one of our nearest and our furthest), 1 home Saturday, 2 home Fridays and hopefully 2 Cup games which could even both be at home on Saturdays. Not a bad mix.

It is if I cant get to many of them.

Way I understood it was the away teams were more than happy because certainly 2 of them were aware that their supporters would more than likely be wanting to watch the internationals (Leeds and Southampton, I believe).

Ah, the mantra churned out by those for whom Friday nights are inconvenient. Southend have a fine history of Friday night football going back decades. As it is you've still got twice as many Saturday games as Friday matches. What do you mean by you hope it backfires on the club? What do you want to happen?

Well said, used to love going to Friday night games back in the day. Having a few Friday games is good for reminiscing.

I think its RMs subtle way of getting us used to messed up kick off times before our assault on the Premier$hite :cool:

Back