• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There not another........

Ah, the mantra churned out by those for whom Friday nights are inconvenient. Southend have a fine history of Friday night football going back decades. As it is you've still got twice as many Saturday games as Friday matches. What do you mean by you hope it backfires on the club? What do you want to happen?

I want the club to admit that they've got it wrong. All very well "going back decades" when people lived and worked around Southend, but I'd imagine even those who live in Southend have to commute into central London and for those who don't, Friday night games are a no-no due to the fact I've no desire to battle the M25.

The only times we have got less than 7,000 this season the kick off time was when exactly ?? Correct me if i'm wrong, but ...

The only times we have got less than 7,000 this season the kick off time was when exactly ?? Correct me if i'm wrong, but ...

Yep, the lowest attendances are when we've played on a Saturday afternoon, granted BUT those two games were Brizzie and Oldham, both of whom aren't going to inspire the fairweather fan to attend in the same way that clubs like Southampton and Leeds would.

The proof of the pudding is when we play MK Donkeys I suppose.

As pointed out earlier by Mick ... it all comes down to whether or not its convenient for the individual, for those that struggle to make Friday games its a disgrace and i hope the club go skint and its not fair and alas and alac oh woe is me

Personally living a mile from the ground be it Friday or Saturday it bothers me not

i'm all right Jack attitude or what !!!!!!!

I want the club to admit that they've got it wrong. All very well "going back decades" when people lived and worked around Southend, but I'd imagine even those who live in Southend have to commute into central London and for those who don't, Friday night games are a no-no due to the fact I've no desire to battle the M25.

I'm sorry, but the club really have to cater for the 99% of the supporters who don't live more than 80 miles away. There are many who prefer Friday nights .... floodlit football is a different spectacle. Others have commitments on Saturdays. A mix of games is fair and reasonable. The only thing is that the club could have been a bit more upfront with their intentions when season tickets were on sale but I understand they have generously agreed to refunds where appropriate. I haven't heard those people who prefer Fridays insist that they should all be Fridays like the "Saturday bigots" do for their prefered day.

Decades ago commuting to London was just as rife. I know, I was doing it and the Fenchurch Line was a damn sight more unreliable then too.

I'm sorry, but the club really have to cater for the 99% of the supporters who don't live more than 80 miles away. There are many who prefer Friday nights .... floodlit football is a different spectacle. Others have commitments on Saturdays. A mix of games is fair and reasonable. The only thing is that the club could have been a bit more upfront with their intentions when season tickets were on sale but I understand they have generously agreed to refunds where appropriate. I haven't heard those people who prefer Fridays insist that they should all be Fridays like the "Saturday bigots" do for their prefered day.

I know I'm in a minority as I don't live in easy(ish) access to Roots Hall but I don't buy the fact that if someone has Saturday commitments why on earth would you buy a season ticket for a football club when until only recently the vast majority of games were on a Saturday afternoon?

It was lovely this Friday just gone. A real treat. Uxbridge to Canvey took a good 45 minutes longer than usual.

Anyway, I think it's good to have a few Friday night games but having almost a third of our home games on Fridays is a bit much I feel.

The 'football should be at 3pm on a Saturday no matter what' mantra belongs in the past and I think it is good that the club have a flexible approach, but for my money they've overshot by two or three games here.

I know I'm in a minority as I don't live in easy(ish) access to Roots Hall but I don't buy the fact that if someone has Saturday commitments why on earth would you buy a season ticket for a football club when until only recently the vast majority of games were on a Saturday afternoon?

No reason at all ... and I don't think I suggested they would. I just said a few Friday games are good for those who have other commitments on Saturdays.

I feel, indeed share, the frustration of those who struggle to make the Friday night games but ultimately if that's what brings in the biggest crowds and therefore the highest gate receipts then it's clearly (to me) the right thing for the club to do in its present situation. Southend United is primarily there to serve the local community, and people appear to be voting fairly decisively with their feet for Friday nights. As a fan wanting the best for the club I'm not going to ask them to turn their backs in several grand a time in ticket sales on account of a decision I made of my own free will to go and live elsewhere in the country.

I didn't live or work in Southend yet it was Friday night games whenever the club could (some teams wouldn't change though)

Hmmm... How many Fans play in the local Saturday Football leagues , compared to those who live far enough away not to be able to make Friday nights ?

I remembered working this out in the summer when some were complaining about friday games:

thought I'd see how we got on comparing Friday night games with the season average in terms of results and attandances. I've not included cup games which took place on a friday or any Good Friday/Xmas holiday games as high crowds are guaranteed (and generally daytime anyway).

In conclusion Friday night games = better attendances and better results!

Season 08/09

7976 v Brighton L0-2
9261 v Orient W3-0
7227 v Hartlepool W3-2

Avg Fri = 8,154
Season Avg = 7,850

Fri Pts Avg per Game= 2
Season Pts Avg per game = 1.5

Season 07/08

No Friday games

Season 06/07

9821 v Coventry L2-3