• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ticket catagories

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Oct. 05 2004,23:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 05 2004,22:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Oct. 05 2004,22:16)]I go to games to watch my team win regardless of the opposition.
But others don't ...
Well I think if there are some supporters out there who say "Hmm Kidderminster, I'm not paying £16.50 to watch that" but are quite happy to shell out the £ for Orient or Yeovil then I personally would question their full commitment to their club. Other people may disagree but this board is all about opinions after all.

By the way apologies to Groyne Strain as I seem to have stepped on your point re my original post.
Of course, i think 95% of us on this board will pay the money because we are Southend supporters and will watch team in the league against anyone.

But its no good attracting the die hards as they are already converted. What i was saying is unfortunatly alot of people are glory hunters and are of that way of thinking.

Well, if they are glory hunters it wouldn't matter how much you charge - £6.50 or £16.50 - they STILL wouldn't come to Roots Hall ...

WS

they might.. 14 odd thousand non regulars, glory hunters, just curious, found their way to cardiff earlier this year....

I think the original post though, does have some validity.. especially when we have several home games in a few days.. even the 3000 diehards will dwindle if faced with 3 games in a fortnight for example.. why not experiment with reduced admission for say the 3rd game on production of your ticket from the first?

I like the idea of a reward type card, why not reward the regular supporters who don't have the funds for a season ticket... also a good way of ensuring regulars get a ticket for the once in a while bigger games..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prawn_2b_Wild @ Oct. 06 2004,00:13)]they might.. 14 odd thousand non regulars, glory hunters, just curious, found their way to cardiff earlier this year....
But the games either side of Cardiff attracted more or less the same attendance - those 14,000 have probably never been to Roots Hall and probably never will ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 05 2004,19:35)]£16.50 is too much for this level of football in my opinion.
We know!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nice to see you've discovered the phrase 'in my opinion' though.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Oct. 05 2004,15:01)]Thats not a bad idea. Maybe we could have a card that gets stamped on buying a ticket . Once you have ten stamps you get in the next game half price and get a new stamp card.
Can't think of a better way to harm Season Ticket sales... which are a vital source of income during the close season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Oct. 05 2004,23:02)]Carlisle United experimented with a sliding scale on admission prices. The better the team was doing (i.e. the higher their position in the table), the higher the ticket price - and vice versa ...

WS
Yeah, But as everyone was higher than them the price stayed the same :-)...

As for the Glory Hunters at Cardiff...How much were the tickets for that one ? Using that as an example the more we charge the more will turn up.

Halifax at home some years ago, under 1100 turned up and it cost about 1.50 to get in

I agree admission prices are too high, at all levels of football,
but then again so are petrol prices and we don't get cheap petrol just because we are driving to somewhere undesirable

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Oct. 06 2004,07:23)]But the games either side of Cardiff attracted more or less the same attendance - those 14,000 have probably never been to Roots Hall and probably never will ...

WS
Not strictly true - I was at both games either side of the LDV Final and there was a definite 'Cardiff effect', with lots of fans (appearing to be) making their first trip to the Hall.

I agree with your general point though - the 'Cardiff effect' hasn't really lasted.

Personally, I don't think Southend will ever get massive crowds again - the lure of the London clubs will always be too great for a lot of people, which is a shame.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Oct. 06 2004,12:30)]Personally, I don't think Southend will ever get massive crowds again - the lure of the London clubs will always be too great for a lot of people, which is a shame.
I blame "sky" personally. The amount of armchair fans at work is worrying. Most cite the reason they don't go is the cost, and yes this is to see Arsenal, west Ham Etc, this could give us a lever to get them into Roots Hall but they slouch in their comfy chairs instead.
The problem is therefore Murdoch and in that respect the blame must be at Margaret thatchers feet.
That said I notice how packed the family stand is at home games....couldn't we extend that to the south lower wings or something?...with a family deal? I'm sure the kids would love to hurl abuse at the opposition when they take corners etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 06 2004,09:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Oct. 05 2004,15:01)]Thats not a bad idea. Maybe we could have a card that gets stamped on buying a ticket . Once you have ten stamps you get in the next game half price and get a new stamp card.
Can't think of a better way to harm Season Ticket sales... which are a vital source of income during the close season.
You've hit on the main reason why the club can't really be too innovative with special offers etc.

The price of a season ticket is far too high, meaning that if you miss a couple of games or so, you're out of pocket.

In Italy for example, the cost of a season ticket will generally equate to about a dozen matches and loads of people buy them knowing they'll miss several matches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Oct. 06 2004,18:22)]In Italy for example, the cost of a season ticket will generally equate to about a dozen matches and loads of people buy them knowing they'll miss several matches.
Judging by the crowds they get at the moment in Serie A, I think most season ticket holders are missing most games!!!

A offer Darlington are currently doing, and food for thought.

''Darlington Football Club are promoting two great offers in the coming weeks.At the Bury match on October 16th, any person over 18 who attends the match will get a FREE PINT or a FREE PIE!

Under 18's get a free drink of pop or a pie. This offer is also open to season ticket holders ofcourse. Andy Battison tod the Evening Gazette that he hopes it will bring in more fans. "We are hoping that we can draw big crowds with these offers, and with the attraction of the exciting new strike force David Hodgson has put together.

"I am sure we will see some new faces and bring back some fans who have not been regular visitors to the Williamson Motors Stadium so far this season."

For the Wycombe match on October 30th.....if you buy your ticket in avance its only £10, a saving of £5 on the matchday price and £3 on the normal pre matchday price. £5 for concessions.''

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 06 2004,18:59)]A offer Darlington are currently doing, and food for thought.

''Darlington Football Club are promoting two great offers in the coming weeks.At the Bury match on October 16th, any person over 18 who attends the match will get a FREE PINT or a FREE PIE!

Under 18's get a free drink of pop or a pie. This offer is also open to season ticket holders ofcourse. Andy Battison tod the Evening Gazette that he hopes it will bring in more fans. "We are hoping that we can draw big crowds with these offers, and with the attraction of the exciting new strike force David Hodgson has put together.

"I am sure we will see some new faces and bring back some fans who have not been regular visitors to the Williamson Motors Stadium so far this season."

For the Wycombe match on October 30th.....if you buy your ticket in avance its only £10, a saving of £5 on the matchday price and £3 on the normal pre matchday price. £5 for concessions.''
I can't see many people going to watch football to get a free pint for 16.50!!! If they want to watch the footie, they'll go and watch it... and be happy with the offer as the icing on the cake and no more.

In my opinion.

Yes agreed but its a nice gesture and certainly puts the club in a more friendly light.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 06 2004,18:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Oct. 06 2004,18:22)]In Italy for example, the cost of a season ticket will generally equate to about a dozen matches and loads of people buy them knowing they'll miss several matches.
Judging by the crowds they get at the moment in Serie A, I think most season ticket holders are missing most games!!!
It's not that bad; they're averaging 26,387 after the first 50 matches.

There were 33,000 at a game I went to a couple of weeks back.

The good thing about Serie A is that if you want to go to virtually any match (bar about 4 a season) you can get in on the day and with prices as low as £10 (if you don't mind standing next to a maniac with a flare!).

Doesn't do much for the argument that if you bring the prices down more people will come, but it does illustrate how much English soccer fans at all levels are ripped off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Oct. 05 2004,12:57)]Taking a look at various clubs websites it would appear that certain teams have different prices for different games.

So where as we now pay £16.50 every game we could have:

Orient/Wycombe/Oxford/Northampton/Yeovil as band A: £17
Swansea/Rushden/cheltanham/ Cambridge as band B: £15
Kidderminster/Macclesfield/Shrewsbury as band C:£13 (kids£1)

I just feel that we would get a better atmosphere for the less glamorous games and a better crowd average. Just a thought in trying to please the fans whilst not really losing money as the crowds would compensate.
Thats actually a very good idea I've never thought about that. The only thing is how would you decide which teams were in which group
rock.gif
But if you can overcome that problem then i think it would work and most people would be happy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper JK @ Oct. 06 2004,22:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Oct. 05 2004,12:57)]Taking a look at various clubs websites it would appear that certain teams have different prices for different games.

So where as we now pay £16.50 every game we could have:

Orient/Wycombe/Oxford/Northampton/Yeovil as band A: £17
Swansea/Rushden/cheltanham/ Cambridge as band B: £15
Kidderminster/Macclesfield/Shrewsbury as band C:£13 (kids£1)

I just feel that we would get a better atmosphere for the less glamorous games and a better crowd average. Just a thought in trying to please the fans whilst not really losing money as the crowds would compensate.
Thats actually a very good idea I've never thought about that. The only thing is how would you decide which teams were in which group  
rock.gif
But if you can overcome that problem then i think it would work and most people would be happy.
This idea is wholly unsuited to League 2/Division 4 football.

It works in the Premiership and is linked to supply and demand.
There are more people who would wish to see Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal visit their team than, with respect, Norwich or West Brom.

The standard from top to bottom in our division is not that different (i.e pretty poor) and the defining factor on home crowds is HOW not WHO they are playing.

If there is a change id like to see prices lowered to to £14 for Adults and £1 for U12s and £4-5 for U12s, perhaps this could be the prices before the day of the game and it goes up a pound or two on the day of the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 06 2004,23:05)]If there is a change id like to see prices lowered to to £14 for Adults and £1 for U12s and £4-5 for U12s, perhaps this could be the prices before the day of the game and it goes up a pound or two on the day of the game.
Sometimes you say some wierd things, but thats just completely baffled me. Why would they lower their prices and lose thousands of pounds in income a year?!

'I would like to see a russian billionaire come in and lower prices to free for everyone' - About as likely to happen.

The sad thing is, even when Southend used to offer complimentary tickets the full allocation wasn't always taken up!

Einstein

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If there is a change id like to see prices lowered to to £14 for Adults and £1 for U12s and £4-5 for U12s, perhaps this could be the prices before the day of the game and it goes up a pound or two on the day of the game

So how much are U12's actually gonna pay under your ruling FM13?

This is a system that has been successfully implemented in the Premiership but is never going to work in the Coca Cola League 2/Division 3 is it? Theres hardly any difference between sides like Wycombe and Kidderminster and they are at different ends of the league. The league is so tight it would be near impossible to implement in my opinion.

Back