• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think that pretty much sums it up actually. If Ron has gone in and said a few harsh truths, then it's just what the team needs. They may have played a few games over the Christmas period, they may be knackered, they may be feeling a little sorry for themselves after not getting what they deserved against Gillingham, but they're professional footballers who are paid to produce results for the club and its fans.

Ron would've been right to say his piece, and after Saturday's performance, which of us wouldn't have done the same?

Let's hope it's cleared the air and everyone can now get focused on doing what needs to be done.

The team looked to me to be lacking more in confidence than in commitment and I can't see how Ron Martin bollocking the players is going to improve confidence.

The team looked to me to be lacking more in confidence than in commitment and I can't see how Ron Martin bollocking the players is going to improve confidence.

True enough YB, but sometimes a carrot and stick approach is the best way. All we need now is for one to go in off of someone's **** and we're away.

Clearly I mean the opposition's net...

Football is an emotive business. Passions run high and things are said. It'll be handbags stuff and nothing to worry about I would say.

One bad run does not make us a bad team and it doesn't make Tilly a bad manager. He'll get a lot longer yet to put things right.

Good on Ron Martin. The Bristol game was the worst performance under Tilson, and too many players this season- Gower, Black, McCormack, Hooper to name but a few- have let the team down with their performances.

I'd hate to speculate on what might happen if Dagenham end Rons FA cup dream.

If we lose on Saturday, it will be the first season Tilson hasn't achieved a new Southend best. Getting to the FA Cup 5th round is about the only record Tilly hasn't broken.

Well, let's hope their big row following the game against Rovers will clear the air and not develop into anything worse, forcing one of them to go?!

All started when Ron went into the dressing room at the end of the game to register his disgust. Tilly didn't like it and needless to say, a heated exchange took place!

This will either clear the air OR be the precurser to massive change!

Either way, in many ways, perhaps it's not such a bad thing?!

Personally, I hope it clears the air and gives everyone, including the Management and players, a kick up the backside, as things, including discipline, have been slipping of late!

I'm quite sorry really to be the bearer of a bit of doom and gloom here, but it's clear that Ron expects better and I don't think this should come as such a great surprise?!

I thought long and hard about posting this, but I have decided to do so, as I feel that we, the paying supporters, do deserve to know what's going on, particularly following such an inept display played out in a slightly controversial atmosphere!

Maybe it was the 'anti chants' that fired Ron up to do what he did?!
A breath of fresh air !!!!!!!!!!! Someone who actually knows the facts and what he's talking about. I am also aware of the whole debacle on Saturday

If we lose on Saturday, it will be the first season Tilson hasn't achieved a new Southend best. Getting to the FA Cup 5th round is about the only record Tilly hasn't broken.

That's not a new best, I distinctly remember playing Derby in the 5th round back in the 70s when we "wuz robbed" by Roy McFarland.

Good on Ron Martin. The Bristol game was the worst performance under Tilson, and too many players this season- Gower, Black, McCormack, Hooper to name but a few- have let the team down with their performances.

With Black having signed initially for 1 year plus a further 1 year option, if i were a betting man i would'nt put odds on him getting that 1 year option unless he produces a better 2nd half to the season than what he's done so far,( allowing for fitness and hamstring problems)

That's not a new best, I distinctly remember playing Derby in the 5th round back in the 70s when we "wuz robbed" by Roy McFarland.

Exactly, if we are knocked out on Saturday we won't get a chance to break the record. Mind you Tilly jointly holds the record as a player, as he would have been in the 1992-93 team that made it to the 5th round at Hillsborough.

Along with highest league placing (he is not in the top 5 there) highest league score, highest cup score, highest attendance, least goals conceded in a season....shall I go on....;)

I am interested on how this debate develops, is Ron entitled to have a go but the supporters are not ? Should he leave management up to Tilly ?

I am interested on how this debate develops, is Ron entitled to have a go but the supporters are not ? Should he leave management up to Tilly ?

.....and I am interested in speculating how people would react if they owned Southend United and Dagenham knocked us out of the FA cup.

I dont know how heated it was, or what was really said, but I do know that RM came in the dressing room and threaten to sack them all ( and for what its worth I fuking agree with him)

That's pretty much what happened.

Let's hope this is a turning point!

Well, off the top of my head, Oxford away in L2, Orient at home in the same season, Gillingham last time in L1, probably Colchester and Barnsley at home last season were all worse and those are the ones I've seen.

But I take your point, it was unacceptably poor by the standards the players have shown they can achieve.

I think that's a little harsh on Hooper, he's only had a couple of starts and a few subs. When he has played he's shown plenty of pace and ability just not been able to put it away. I tend to disagree about Mac as well, I wondere if he's been trying to control himself a bit more and so not appearing as committed as usual.

Are you talking about that game or the season as a whole? If it's the game then you're being very harsh on Hooper and Black. If it's the season then you're being harsh on Gower and extremely harsh on McCormack.

Well done Ron. Venting what we're feeling. With the money he's made available for players and what he's done for this club he has every right to bollock them when days like Tuesday happen.

Whilst I understand Ron venting his spleen, I don't believe the dressing room immediately after the game is the place. Let the manager have his say and if you want to bolock everyone, get them all in early and do it when emotions have calmed and you'll never end up looking like an over-emotional muppet saying things you can't/won't back up.

If he said what is quoted, he will never sack them all.

Back