• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time To Get Fit Or Die Trying - Middle Aged Cycling

Bielzibubz

President
As some of you will appreciate there comes a time in life when no matter what you do diet wise one cannot seem to lose that middle age paunch/one pack that seems to have suddenly appeared from nowhere, which is the situation I now find myself in, so at the ripe old age of ** it's time for a different tack, so...............

Me and the missus pick up our new crosstrail hybrid bikes tomorrow morning and we're (well, just me really) are looking for some road/off road routes around the Eastwood/Rayleigh/Hockley/Leigh/Southend areas. I've got the Strava app and found a few but there's nothing like first hand knowledge from other cyclists in the know. Nothing too strenuous mind.

Also, not having been on a bike for donkies years any advise on what to do and what not to do as a novice would be appreciated :winking: Ta....

Park at Leigh Station and do the lower Hadleigh farm route, cross over at Benfleet station, returning on the tow path. It's realtively gentle, but it will still give you a good run out and you'll feel like you've done something. There's some climbing to do but it's manageable and over there you can work up the climbs as you improve. Good luck.

Not a great deal traffic locally other than the seafront cycle path to Gunners , which gets a tad busy at this time of the year

Thorndon park in Brentwood and the Fitch way, from Braintree station are two my Wife and I use, and they have cafes on the route so it makes for a nice ride out, but you will need to transport the bikes there.

The back roads from Rochford to Canewdon / Wallesea are not too busy early on a Sunday morning , as are the roads around Barling. There are usually a fair number of cyclists about at that time too.

As some of you will appreciate there comes a time in life when no matter what you do diet wise one cannot seem to lose that middle age paunch/one pack that seems to have suddenly appeared from nowhere, which is the situation I now find myself in, so at the ripe old age of ** it's time for a different tack, so...............

Me and the missus pick up our new crosstrail hybrid bikes tomorrow morning and we're (well, just me really) are looking for some road/off road routes around the Eastwood/Rayleigh/Hockley/Leigh/Southend areas. I've got the Strava app and found a few but there's nothing like first hand knowledge from other cyclists in the know. Nothing too strenuous mind.

Also, not having been on a bike for donkies years any advise on what to do and what not to do as a novice would be appreciated :winking: Ta....

You can do Benfleet station to Shoeburyness without going on any busy roads.

Plus it really posses off uptight Leigh dwellers if you cycle between Leigh and Chalkwell on the sea wall path.

Get a decent bike multitool and carry a pump and inner tube with you...

The ride from the Coastguard station at the end of the seafront through to Shoebury East Beach is a good one. You can take various tracks dependent on how much cycling you want to do and its on the flat. If you don't fancy riding from Eastwood and you have the means to stick the bikes on the car, there's even a free car park.

Also its going to depend how far you want to go.
the Leigh to benfleet and back is about 6 miles
Chalkwell to shoebury garrison and back is about 10 , but the cycle path ends at the old loading peir and the shared space doesnt start until the Kursall so there is a section where the road needs to be used. Also the cyclepath west of the peir is currently blocked for work on the lagoon.

If yo are based Rayleigh way then you can access Hockley woods from the end of Bull lane. Plenty to do and you can link up with Cherry Orchard and back via Eastwood.

I treated myself to hybrid a few years ago. The trick is not to have a set route, just explore like when you were a kid. More fun and you do far more miles without noticing it.

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to getting out there and trying some of these routes. Puncture repair and inner tube spare is probably the most popular piece of advice I've heard so far ��
Don't forget a pumps, and if you can pop into Aldi, they have co2 inflators , which are a damn site easier to inflate a tyre with than a pump, and easier to carry.
They still have some cycling kit reduced (at the priory park one at least) if you fancy a bit of a rummage, their kits not bad and cheap

Get some half decent cycling clothes.

Tracksuit bottoms and cotton T shirts are no go.

Please, please, please not the lycra cycling shorts. You reckon that you have evidence of stomach expansion and nothing looks worse than a food baby hanging over the top of lycra shorts.

Please, please, please not the lycra cycling shorts. You reckon that you have evidence of stomach expansion and nothing looks worse than a food baby hanging over the top of lycra shorts.

Absolutely no need for tight lycra, your not in the Tour de France. However you do need some decent padding, after all you don't want an a*** like a growling badger. Loose fitting mountain bike type shorts are my preference.

Last edited:
I have the padded gel seat cover ordered to pick up with the bike as part of the accessory bundle ;) Lycra shorts, or Lycra anything for that matter, is a BIG no no as far as I'm concerned. Loose fittings shorts (no chaffing) and a decent breathable T will be my apparell of choice tomorrow afternoon :winking:

It's not often I agree with Rigsby but on this occasion padded shorts = a good thing. I have a padded gel seat but after a fair while in the saddle you can be forgiven for thinking you are sitting on the blade of a ice skate.

You can get padded cycle shorts which are NOT skin hugging lycra .
Try Eric at Richardsons Cycles Elm Road Leigh for all your gear.
Other cycle shops are about BUT Eric is a Roots Hall Regular and loves his Shrimpers.

Back