• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

w***ers
only just seen this
i am supposdely booked on 9.15 from paddington

*surely* there isn't that many people going to cardiff by train that morning!?!?

got my dad on case to trainline
the f**kers

I rung FGW seat reservations and I was told that all seat are sold?
sad.gif

Thanks very much for making us all aware of the train issues, MtS - I would never have bothered reserving my seat in advance had I not read this thread.

I managed to get to Paddington today and buy an advanced ticket for the 09.45, costing £50.80. I'm in Coach C, Seat 55 incidentally.

Is this a new thing about trainline.com not reserving seats or is it just for this weekend ? I've aways used them and always got reserved seats however, my tickets arrived this morning and they specifically state "No seat reserved" on them.
rock.gif
(Getting on at Chippenham which would be the 10:00 out of Paddington.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 24 2005,18:03)]I rung FGW seat reservations and I was told that all seat are sold?  
sad.gif
On all trains down? Crumbs. Worth double checking, you know - there are ten different trains to choose from:

06.30 (via Bath Spa)
10.00 (via Bristol Temple Meads)
11.00 (via Bristol Temple Meads)

The ones in bold are the direct trains - these are the ones on which it will be more difficult to get a reservation. The 12.45 train gets in at 14.46 - so you'd need to move very swiftly from the station to the ground (and rely on the train not being late!). The ones not in bold are indirect trains via either Bath or Bristol and take 2h40 (Bristol) or 3h (Bath), rather than 2h for the direct train.

If all of the above trains are booked out already, then that is most unfortunate. The only other thing I can recommend is a very early coach down to Cardiff, then. You'll still be able to come back on the train, since there are no seat reservations for trains back, only trains down.

Hope that helps,

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiltshire_blues @ May 24 2005,18:22)]Is this a new thing about trainline.com not reserving seats or is it just for this weekend ?  I've aways used them and always got reserved seats however, my tickets arrived this morning and they specifically state "No seat reserved" on them.
rock.gif
(Getting on at Chippenham which would be the 10:00 out of Paddington.)
I don't know - probably just this weekend, but frankly I don't trust any of these internet train booking thingys...

suspect.gif

the lady told my dad is was def true
unless you have seat booked you won't/be VERY unlikely to get on a train
but not all booked up
biggrin.gif

We were told by FGW this morning that if you book tickets directly through their website then seats will automatically be reserved. So that's obviously the way to go for anyone who hasn't booked yet.

Our tickets arrived this morning, but nobody was in, so I can't actually confirm if they are telling the truth or not until tomorrow when someone picks them up though!

Boolax!! I've ordered tickets from the trainline so I guess I'll be standing in the buffet car with everyone else!! Could be a laugh - best to tell FGW to load up with Aunty Stella!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ May 24 2005,23:22)]Boolax!! I've ordered tickets from the trainline so I guess I'll be standing in the buffet car with everyone else!! Could be a laugh - best to tell FGW to load up with Aunty Stella!!
Erm, that's if they let you on the train...

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 25 2005,08:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ May 24 2005,23:22)]Boolax!! I've ordered tickets from the trainline so I guess I'll be standing in the buffet car with everyone else!! Could be a laugh - best to tell FGW to load up with Aunty Stella!!
Erm, that's if they let you on the train...

ghostface.gif
Which they categorically won't.

suspect.gif

When I spoke to Trainline they read out an advisory thay had been given saying that they couldn't reserve seats this or last weekend. They then went on to say it will be up to the discretion of the train manager(ticket inspector?!) as to whether or not they let on unreserved tickets and how many they let on. But there's usually a whole coach for unreserved tickets so if you get there early you should be alright although I wasn't going to risk it.

I travelled last year over this weekend to wales and the train was absolutely heaving with Palace supporters and all the aisles on the train were rammed so they do their best to get everyone on but as I said before I'm not gonna risk it.

Right, my story - -

approx 11am yesterday - booked ticket on trainline - no option to book seats

midday - saw messages on here, emailed dad to phone them - they did and said not full but needed to book seats which i had to do as it was in my name

7pm - phoned up trainline - got operator who said - 1) its still too early to book seats for saturday 2) there is no reserved seating whatsoever on the trains
i kept hammering on about what i had read on here till he got a supervisor who said that all the trains were full and due to police and health and safety there would be no way i would be allowed on any train as every single train was totally full
i said i didn't believe her that they were all full and said i would get down early and cause a fuss as i had a ticket specified for the 9.15 train
she said it was wortheless and as soon as i got it i better post it back for a refund - i said i couldn't beleive they were allowed to seel invalid tickets - you couldn't sell a hotel room if every room was full!!! she was not impressed as said it wasn't her problem but mine and i better make alternative arrangements

TODAY
9am - i explain to my dad who says it all sounds a bit strange and gets a very friendly and helpful supervisor who says there has been a bit of confusion and they thought it would be like FA CUP semi-final weekend - which made me chuckle -
there should be no problem getting on a train, it would be preferable to have a seat booked but it is not complusory
after all i have a ticket for the 9.15 train so i am enttiled to be on that train

SO, i guess we're all okay with not reserved tickets?

I'm sure some said they were in contact with Dave at the club, but would it hurt if the club could phone up and a clarified position for us with trainline.com?

I suspect you're right and that people may get on with unreserved tickets...

However as your post illustrates, the attitude of one individual working for a rail company can be the polar opposite of another.

If the Train Manager (fancy title for a grounded trolley dolly) is a Jobsworth on Saturday and they stick to the letter of the law, those with tickets which do not specify a seat could face a long wait at Paddington

sad.gif

Just an idea for those who cant get a seat reservation at paddington get yourself on the train that leaves before but goes to, i think weston super mare. It will stop at swindon so you can get off there and get on the train to Cardiff when that comes through without having a seat reserved, i would mean possibly standing but it will get you there.

I suggest you phone First Great Western - I doubt any of the fcukwits at thetrainline.com have got a clue! Better to get it from the horse's mouth, don't you think?

The lady I spoke to at FGW seemed pretty sure that you'd need a seat reserved, otherwise you wouldn't get on...

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ May 25 2005,12:05)]there should be no problem getting on a train, it would be preferable to have a seat booked but it is not complusory
after all i have a ticket for the 9.15 train so i am enttiled to be on that train

SO, i guess we're all okay with not reserved tickets?
Thanks that seems to clarify the situation better. I'd imagine there would be over crowding problems if both sets of supporters used the same train but the route from Lincoln is via Birmingham. Going home will be more fun - trains to Lincoln are routed via Paddington.

It would be good to have some feedback on peoples train experiences next week ? After all this Millenium Stadium thingy is getting to be a bit of a habit.

Got my tickets this morning. M30.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ May 25 2005,12:14)]I suspect you're right and that people may get on with unreserved tickets...

However as your post illustrates, the attitude of one individual working for a rail company can be the polar opposite of another.

If the Train Manager (fancy title for a grounded trolley dolly) is a Jobsworth on Saturday and they stick to the letter of the law, those with tickets which do not specify a seat could face a long wait at Paddington

sad.gif
There was the same requirement to have reserved seats for the LDV, but no-one was checking tickets when we got on. Indeed no one checked them throughout the entire journey. If they use the end platform I don't think there's a facility to have a ticket check.

But it is a bit of a gamble. There are Swindon-stopping trains to Cheltenham and Paignton too.

think the swindon stop thing will be worst case senario for me
i'm sorry but looking at what the attendence will be surely there won't be too much of a problem

Back