• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Kinali is someone I’d really like to see given a shot. Phillips I think we should persevere with even if he looks a bit lightweight. He needs games or he won’t improve. Yes we need a couple of creative types at CM or on one of the flanks. It won’t be Akinola or ANG though, PB has made his choice. Not sure either is the answer but he needs to get better in, to put minds at rest. We need results, PB knows this, everyone knows this so expect an improvement at Solihull!

if we sign a few more I might even go.

To some extent its hard to know with Kargbo, hes hardly had much game time, although Phil gave him a bit of a bus outing, in a more recent outburst

But I get that we need more strikers. I dont see Dennis , ( if kept, as a striker and as yet to prove real value ) as other than a winger, Walsh doesnt get much of a run either as a winger and yet when I have seen him I thought he offered up quite well

We need alternatives and decent back up., Some clubs in this league have at least 5 "what you may determine as "proper " strikers, I , It greatly ups the competitiveness as well as cover

However as stated we need to strengthen urgently a desperately slow and ageing squad, mostly in midfield and at the back. Wright wont add much to that in my view, although if we sign yet another older, non tackling midfielder who runs around a bit, I wouldnt be surprised if he starts the first couple of games ok. He did that before and then disappeared

So good if we are exploring all options and according to Boy Wonder above this could include more loans, unattached, free transfers, or even Ron parting with more readies, No good having 5 strikers unless thy get fed opportunities though and our midfield is poor at that, or defending actually,as you can cut through them like a knife through Butter,

I would still like to see Howard given more time at right back, he is developing well and has energy and pace about him. White and Hobson was our best partnership last year and Coulson needs to be replaced, so we dont have to cover for him, ideally with someone with a bit of pace.

Are you able to give us any more info on Akinola and ANG? Strange that PB wants another winger but wants them both out. I thought ANG would be a decent asset at this level.

Is it a wages thing or is there a personality clash going on? Or do we owe Crawley some money if he makes another appearance or something?

Nothing sinister like that at all. If RM did get rid of PB, a new manager would have the whole squad to select from.

PB just doesn’t fancy Akinola or ANG, that’s all there is to it. ANG isnt fit at the moment, so even if PB did like him, he couldn’t be called upon as it stands. It happens at every single football club up and down the land, just as us fans have our favourites and those we don’t rate, managers have that too.

Anyone know why we bothered with Kargbo in the first place if it’s openly admitted he’s not good enough or won’t be here much longer? Didn’t we look at him first? Feel a bit sorry for the lad as it goes.

He is an “option”. His height and sheer size frightens opposition defenders, but he doesn’t yet know how to use this to his advantage.

He trained all summer with us, so we looked at him. We could have said no to him at anytime, but decided to give it ago. The month to month gives all three parties (Us, QPR and the player) the option to cancel at any time.

Re the QPR lad I spoke to one of the acacdemy coaches at the Aldershot game and he said he is ****, offers nothing and does bugger all in training. He has no idea why we signed him even on a month to month

I spoke with Walsh, Sayers and Phillips at Torquay. Walsh in particular seemed ****ed off considering he played well when he can on against Aldershot. They said that they travelled down with the squad not knowing who was in the match day squad but had been given no info or feedback from PB why they hadn’t been selected

if anyone can tell that differently I’m all ears, but Walsh ahead of the hopeless Egbri and Phillips ahead of Atkinson surely would be better options that what we saw last Saturday. But PB lack of man management is alarming and no surprise we have put in some of the performances we have of late.

Re the QPR lad I spoke to one of the acacdemy coaches at the Aldershot game and he said he is ****, offers nothing and does bugger all in training. He has no idea why we signed him even on a month to month

I spoke with Walsh, Sayers and Phillips at Torquay. Walsh in particular seemed ****ed off considering he played well when he can on against Aldershot. They said that they travelled down with the squad not knowing who was in the match day squad but had been given no info or feedback from PB why they hadn’t been selected

if anyone can tell that differently I’m all ears, but Walsh ahead of the hopeless Egbri and Phillips ahead of Atkinson surely would be better options that what we saw last Saturday. But PB lack of man management is alarming and no surprise we have put in some of the performances we have of late.
I think walsh is suffering as he isn't a wingback- so 352 confines him to the bench...

He must of been rubbish on Wednesday then only scoring 6 albeit against kids. I can't wait for him to be fully fit. :Winking:
I don't think its long before we see Kinali featuring. Fit he is IMHO better than Egbri because you get the same industry with an end product. BTW I rate Egbri so Kinali being better is a positive.

Only question is can he fit into a 352? Not sure he is a wingback? To start does he need a 442 or a 433? 4231 or 451 is out the window whilst we have Dalby and Murphy up top?
So i imagine on the bench

Luckily Egbri is. ?
Well Egbri can play there- he has the engine to get back and do the defensive duties, and is pretty reliable when he comes to doing it. I can see Walsh doing more going forward but not defensively.

What makes a good wingback (other than the experience of playing there). Are most of them FBs pushed forward or wingers/WMF who know how to defend?

I don't think its long before we see Kinali featuring. Fit he is IMHO better than Egbri because you get the same industry with an end product. BTW I rate Egbri so Kinali being better is a positive.

Only question is can he fit into a 352? Not sure he is a wingback? To start does he need a 442 or a 433? 4231 or 451 is out the window whilst we have Dalby and Murphy up top?
So i imagine on the bench
If Howard, Walsh and Rush are any example, I doubt we will see Kinali in the starting 11, too soon. Maybe wrong but more likely to be a new signing or one of them PB has brought in with character.

if anyone can tell that differently I’m all ears, but Walsh ahead of the hopeless Egbri and Phillips ahead of Atkinson surely would be better options that what we saw last Saturday.
Phillips was very anonymous in his last game at Halifax. He does seem to be very inconsistent. Though like you I would rather we persisted with him than Atkinson.

Phillips was very anonymous in his last game at Halifax. He does seem to be very inconsistent. Though like you I would rather we persisted with him than Atkinson.
He needs a decent run of games. Like you I’d rather we persisted with our young players but as we’ve seen, our fans don’t always have patience in that regard. So I can see why PB opts for experience. Sadly Atkinson looks a very different player to what he was before at the minute.

Nothing sinister like that at all. If RM did get rid of PB, a new manager would have the whole squad to select from.

PB just doesn’t fancy Akinola or ANG, that’s all there is to it. ANG isnt fit at the moment, so even if PB did like him, he couldn’t be called upon as it stands. It happens at every single football club up and down the land, just as us fans have our favourites and those we don’t rate, managers have that too.

BY2, thanks for your updates. They are really useful and much appreciated.

You are right certain players are always out of favour up and down the land. But there is a big difference in the Akinola (and ANG) case. Players that do not perform well for the club should not be playing for the first team. But Akinola has been clearly denied a chance to show what he can do at the first team level. The reason put forward by the manager that the player is "not his cup of tea" is woefully inadequate, especially at a time when the club is struggling in the National League.

BY2, thanks for your updates. They are really useful and much appreciated.

You are right certain players are always out of favour up and down the land. But there is a big difference in the Akinola (and ANG) case. Players that do not perform well for the club should not be playing for the first team. But Akinola has been clearly denied a chance to show what he can do at the first team level. The reason put forward by the manager that the player is "not his cup of tea" is woefully inadequate, especially at a time when the club is struggling in the National League.

Akinola, after being registered, played most games last season, and did start under PB too when he first came in, so has been given more than enough chances to show what he can do and PB just doesn’t like him as a player, which is hardly “inadequate”.

Akinola, and his agent, have been told all of this. Whatever PB says to CP or any press, he has had to the players as well. You can accuse him of many things, but he isn’t going behind the players backs with what he says to the press, it all gets says in offices/changing rooms etc. Let’s put it this way, Akinola didn’t pick up the echo, or open Twitter and be shocked at what was said about him. He knew it.

PB has been very open and honest with Akinola. Akinola has appreciated that. It’s a shame he is still here, same with ANG, but it’s not for the want of trying on our part.

How does Rush prove himself if he’s isn’t given opportunities? Another loanee just pushes him further down the pecking order. He impressed in his limited opportunities in a division higher up last year and is for some reason now behind Kargbo, an even less proven player, who isn’t even ours and who we expect will be gone at the first opportunity.
I get what your saying but, an dit is a very valid point, however for me, Rush like most of the team hardly stood out last season when he did play. He also took a poor penalty, different in style to Akinola, but stil poor and escaped a lot of stick. I would love to see him succeed, but several managers have overlooked him and I am asking myself why. In pre season he looked ok in patches for sure so hopefully he can make sure he stands out in training like others have to do to show they deserve a place on the bench or in the team. Not digging him out just saying for me he hasnt been better than anyone else when he has played.

Last edited:
But Akinola has been clearly denied a chance to show what he can do at the first team level. The reason put forward by the manager that the player is "not his cup of tea" is woefully inadequate, especially at a time when the club is struggling in the National League.
Akinola has had 23 senior appearances..plus PB has seen him in training. I can’t remember him being brilliant in any of those, nothing to suggest he could come in and make a huge difference but I stand to be corrected (yes, we know he did well for Barnet etc but I’m talking about Southend). It’s funny how people couldn’t wait to get rid of almost every other player .. slag White and Demetriou (both good pros) and yet mourn the loss of ANG and Akinola as if they’re Messi and Ronaldo. They helped get us relegated!

why is it that the fan base always turn on what every manager is in charge at Southend .It seems no matter who it is give them 8 to 10 games .They dont get the results that some so called fans want they call for his head .In one breath its said the club is broke .Then next your calling for the manager to be sacked .For a club with no money where the hell do you think the money is coming from to pay compo .

If i rember rightly Phil Brown said that getting the club back to where it should be is a work in progress .Rome was not built in a day .And to rebuild a good squad takes time not 8 games .So with that in mind i would give Brown at least 1 season a hope he can get things right on the playing staff .

I get what your saying but, an dit is a very valid point, however for me, Rush like most of the team hardly stood out last season when he did play. He also took a poor penalty, different in style to Akinola, but stil poor and escaped a lot of stick. I would love to see him succeed, but several managers have overlooked him and I am asking myself why. In pre season he looked ok in patches for sure so hopefully he can make sure he stands out in training like others have to do to show they deserve a place on the bench or in the team. Not digging him out just saying for me he hsane been better than anyone else when he has played.
I beg to differ. Performed consistently for the u23s for Fagan last season whilst MM dissmissed him new got relegated. PB come in, Fagan got Rush his chance and he took it. Winner against leyton orient and decent unbeaten last 3 games all of which he played a part in. Rush had a decent preseason even though he was not partnered with Murphy or Dalby but Kargbo. I hear he trains very hard and is hungry to succeed.

Have you seen out current league position? Rush has scored against or for quite a few teams, just below or the same standard as us in the national league south. Not much more Rush can do if he is not getting game time. Send him out on loan If Kargbo and Dennis are the solution, and Dalby and Murphy of course.

Back