• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Trialists

Thrive upon 6 forwards at a club? It's madness. Thrive upon competition between 4, possibly 5, but 6!?

Why not?

Me personally, I'd see it as a challenge and I'd thrive upon it, maybe I'm different to everyone else on here and maybe some people wouldn't thrive upon in.

Yes 6 forwards is possibly too much, but if Tilson deems Rigters to be better than what we have, then he will bring him in. Tilson always says he wont bring anyone in who isn't better than what we have. Like I said, I imagine IF Rigters comes in, then Walker (his direct competition as the speedy forward) would come under threat.

Don't forget though, Laurent is being used wide right, Walker can play and has played wide left for us, and Rigters can play wide right as well.

Theo Robinson showed in his spell here how important a speedy forward can be, especially when we don't have much pace anywhere else. He would give us an "out ball" down the channels for him to chase. We had it with Wayne Gray, and we've had it in spells with James Walker and we certainly had it with Theo.

Thing is though that;

Laurent and Revell sometimes used on the wing
Freedman most likely to be injured a lot
Barnard not as a good as he used to be and sometimes injured
Walker not rate by many on here
Calver given a chance.

Also, you forget that there's 7 subs spaces. 2 could be used for Strikers. 2 upfront then 2 on the bench means only 2 miss out and if there's injuries they can be waded in.

Question: If everyone thinks Freedman is most likely injured most of the season, why are we paying him any wages?

Because when his fit, his a cut above everything else we have as a forward. Just look at his goal against Bristol Rovers, who many of our strikers would have lifted the ball over the goalkeeper like that? None I bet. I reckon all of them would have fired it at the goalkeeper.

Look at his goal against Canvey. How many of our forwards would have had that excellent first touch, then awareness to lob the keeper? None I bet.

Also, what he offers on the training ground, around the ground etc etc is priceless it really is. I remember O'Keefe did an interview in an Ipswich paper, and he talked about how Freedman takes him, and others, back after training to work on aspects of their games and try to improve them. His played football at a higher level than most of the squad, and his experience is vital.

I went along to the Witham pre-season, amongst others, and he was paired with young Calver up front and Freedman talked him through they half together. You could see how much Calver was learning off of him. It was brilliant to watch.

Yes the legs maybe going, yes he may spend spells out injured, but he is a class act when his fit.

Why not?

Me personally, I'd see it as a challenge and I'd thrive upon it, maybe I'm different to everyone else on here and maybe some people wouldn't thrive upon in.

Because no one can get a run in the side if we keep chopping and changing, and we're more likely to do with with seven strikers on the books than we are with four.

Players won't get games or they'll be dropped the second they have a bad game and both will be bad for morale.

Because no one can get a run in the side if we keep chopping and changing, and we're more likely to do with with seven strikers on the books than we are with four.

Players won't get games or they'll be dropped the second they have a bad game and both will be bad for morale.

All true.

The two in form should hold onto the shirt, and when people go through a bad patch they are rightly dropped. Don't forget though, we are allowed 7 subs this season which as the moment will consist entirely of forwards and midfielders so we should be alright with the subs if we go a goal behind ;)

I hope we dont sign Rigters. Have not seen him play but I have a feeling he would be another Ricketts. By all accounts he was a good 2 stone overweight at Barnsley. WOnder if he still has the hunger to succeed, especially in League 1.
Worley I would snap up without hesitation and Saah also, would move Barrett to left back as seemingly we are struggling to get one in. Either that or let Herd stake a claim there.

I really do think we need to get a wide player in though. Dont like strikers playing wide, never have done. Yes they can run but most of them cant cross and dont track back well enough.

I had a look for Harry Worley on Google News earlier and it looks like he's spent most of this month in Holland on trial at various clubs. I saw FC Eindhoven mentioned as well as a few others, but my Dutch isn't brilliant so I could only get a gist of the stories.

Also I saw something that suggested that he's been released by Leicester.

I hope we dont sign Rigters. Have not seen him play but I have a feeling he would be another Ricketts. By all accounts he was a good 2 stone overweight at Barnsley. WOnder if he still has the hunger to succeed, especially in League 1.
Worley I would snap up without hesitation and Saah also, would move Barrett to left back as seemingly we are struggling to get one in. Either that or let Herd stake a claim there.

I really do think we need to get a wide player in though. Dont like strikers playing wide, never have done. Yes they can run but most of them cant cross and dont track back well enough.

He doesn't appear to be overweight from what I've seen. Very strong, held the ball up well and was lightening fast. The difference between Rigters and Ricketts in my opinion is Rigters is only 25 so hasn't hit his peak as yet, and is still young enough to carve a good career out for himself IF he wants it.

As for strikers out wide, its not ideal but I tend to think they occasionally put better balls in then the wingers because they know the types of run they would/should be making.

As for strikers out wide, its not ideal but I tend to think they occasionally put better balls in then the wingers because they know the types of run they would/should be making.

I think it depends on the player. I think someone like Laurent could be great at creating us chances but when we're away from home on a cold night in November is he going to track back and protect his full-back? I doubt it.

I think it depends on the player. I think someone like Laurent could be great at creating us chances but when we're away from home on a cold night in November is he going to track back and protect his full-back? I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm yet to see a forward playing on the wing that tracks back.

Laurent could be fantastic on the right wing, like he could be up front, but it all depends on which Laurent turns up. Whether its the world beater, or the bambi on ice.

Laurent is the kind of player that I'm talking about when I say that we've got too many strikers. He's a centre-forward and needs to be given a run of matches up front in order for him to settle in the side, in that role and to build some cohesion with his teammates. But he won't get that chance because we have five other strikers, are about to sign a sixth and if he doesn't score in two games in a row then someone else will get a game.

James Walker is in the same boat. They'll both be shunted out wide the odd time they get a game, they won't do it very well, their confidence will be destroyed, they'll be slated by the fans and their Southend career will be over. It's pretty ridiculous, IMO.

I'm as big a fan of Tilly as anyone on here is but I really wish that his plan for fixing whatever is wrong with our team at any one time wasn't always 'sign another striker'.

I know what you're saying Beefy, but Laurent fits in our team much better than Jimmy - it's him I fear for unfortunately.

Agreed OBL, Walker will be gone by the end of the transfer window in my opinion.

Yeovil where sniffing around him before, wonder if thats where he'll end up.

It's for the best for him. He's got no future here but he's clearly a talented player and will do well for another Club.

It's so pathetically depressing. Or maybe depressingly pathetic.

I'm calling Laurent as having his contract cancelled "by mutual consent" by the end of the season.

No, think you're way off there Beefy, reckon Laurent will be one of our stars this year.

I see that Gilllingham are waiting to hear back from Charlton as to whether they have been successful with their bid for striker Chris Dickson.
Another striker who is " better than what we already have"!!

Back